Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 AM
350Z_Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Along with the JWT clutch and JWT flywheel I had my new tranny 32010-CD008 and clutch pedal 46503-CD011 installed, so this is kinda a review of the whole package. I had the dealer raise my idle by 150rpms instead of 100rpms since I have the crank pulley as well and I have had no idling problems.

Clutch/Clutch Pedal:
When I pulled away from the dealer I was shocked that the clutch/flywheel setup felt EXACTLY like stock. No chatter (maybe because the JWT uses sprung disks??) and no extra modulation needed to get off to a smooth start. I pulled away at low revs just like normal. Clutch pedal effort is actually softer, as in easier to depress, than stock even though the clutch has a higher clamping force. The clutch engages about 1.5” off the floor, which is perfect. I don’t really notice a different with the clutch pedal itself other than the aluminum looks newer than my other pedals. I’ve been taking it easy on the whole setup to let it break in a little but I did do one semi-hard launch and this clutch has a very good bite.

Flywheel:
The engine definitely revs faster especially when combined with the crank pulley. I don’t know why it’s never been mentioned before but the JWT flywheel does not make any sounds during normal driving. You only hear it when you floor it at less than 2K rpms, which will usually, only be 1st or 2nd gear and last for like 1-2 seconds. From what others had posted it made it seem like the sound was always present under 2K rpms. While driving to work today I didn’t hear the flywheel once, not even at idle.

Tranny:
The new tranny is smoother than the last one and I’m sure it’ll get a little smoother with some more break in. The shift effort is less in all gears and I’ve had no grinding in the 20-30 degree whether we’ve been having. The guide plate is not aligned properly but I’ll fix that later this week when my RE short shifter gets here. The shifter does vibrate (but doesn’t make any audible noise) more than it did before but hopefully the RE short shifter will cure it.

Verdict:
Overall I’m very pleased with the setup and recommend it. This setup is VERY streetable and the car drives just as smooth as it did with the stock components. I’ve heard others with the NISMO clutch talking about chattering and harder shifter effort; this combo seems to have none of these issues. This combo is so much like stock that it’s hard to believe that it’s not stock. But I’ve got the occasional flywheel sound and the good bite of the clutch to remind me that it’s not stock .
Old 12-15-2003, 09:09 AM
stx

Get ready for those 105+ trap speeds!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:15 AM
FLY BY Z

I think those with the NISMO clutch have a higher shift effort because of the Rogue shifter not the clutch. The clutch pedal is a little heavier with the NISMO clutch.

Also, not to beat any dead horses or anything, but I had 350ZSpeedRacer, a mod here, drive my car this past weekend. My suspicions were confirmed. Pedal feel is slightly heavier. Shift effort is increased but you also get a more positive shift, knowing you hit the next gear solidly and perfectly. There is no noticeble increase in engine braking over stock. These were all argued against by others on the board and they have been verified in my car by others here in my car with my setup. I doubt my setup is/will be unique. So take that for what you will.

Also, there is no increase in HP with these mods so I wouldn't get too excited about gaining any trap speed. My MPH stayed the same as stock but I picked up .4 tenths over bone stock with what I have now.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default JWT flywheel

I have only the flywheel and not the JWT clutch. I affects driveability, makes noise when clutch pedal is up, and the car stalls with 800 rpm idle (partly due to the cams). Can I solve all those problems and have a smooth set up like yours, by getting the clutch?

I'm not so sure.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
stx

Also, there is no increase in HP with these mods so I wouldn't get too excited about gaining any trap speed. My MPH stayed the same as stock but I picked up .4 tenths over bone stock with what I have now.
I picked up almost 2 mph in trap. Your right it doesn't give more horsepower just less drivetrain loss. Same principle of the UR pullies.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:44 AM
FLY BY Z

You'd have to look at the whole run, temps, altitude, etc. to determine the increase in MPH. 2 MPH is A LOT and a lot more than a flywheel is going to give you.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Also, not to beat any dead horses or anything, but I had 350ZSpeedRacer, a mod here, drive my car this past weekend.
Agreed with everything you said, obviously. But I gotta tell ya, after driving your car, and then driving home, I REALLY liked the feel of your clutch versus stock and have added the disc and pressure plate to my list of "parts wanted."
Old 12-15-2003, 09:53 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Agreed with everything you said, obviously. But I gotta tell ya, after driving your car, and then driving home, I REALLY liked the feel of your clutch versus stock and have added the disc and pressure plate to my list of "parts wanted."
Just let me know when you want em! I wish I had driven yours with the STune before I get mine in a couple weeks! Doh!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:53 AM
stx

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
You'd have to look at the whole run, temps, altitude, etc. to determine the increase in MPH. 2 MPH is A LOT and a lot more than a flywheel is going to give you.
Your right, I forgot I put on my UR crank pulley at the same time. Weather was similiar to my stock runs though.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:26 PM
DeeZee

can you tell me more about this guide plate?? i just had my tranny swapped a few days ago. it feels MUCH better, with the exception of 5th? it feels as if its catching on something?? it sometimes requires ALOT of force to go in. if i push it all the way to the right then up, it wants to stop? but if i only move it slightly to the right (8th inch or so from all the way) it goes right in? its realy a problem when speed shifting! does that sound like the plate you mentioned?? any details on how to adjust it would be GRAET!! thanks!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:48 PM
FLY BY Z

Yes it sounds like they did not adjust the plate properly. go to rogueengineering.com and the instructions to install a short shifter are on there somewhere as a pdf. this will show you how to adjust the guide plate. you just remove the section of the console over the shifter and loosen the bolts holding the plate. align it and retighten.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:59 PM
daddy Z

Default Re: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
Along with the JWT clutch
which version of the JWT clutch ?.......... they sell three !

OEM version
Street version
Drag version
Old 12-15-2003, 07:34 PM
DeeZee

ITS FIXED!!!!!! that was it, the guide plate!!!!! SMOOTH AS BUTTER!!!!! when i took it for a test drive afterwards, i didnt want to stop driving it! that made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!! thanks guys!!!!!!!!! nissan NEVER even looked at the guide plate??? i dont think its even in their directions?? so how do we get it added? (so the next guys dont have to go through this!) it shouldve been done BEFORE i picked it up!

Last edited by DeeZee; 12-15-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:10 PM
daddy Z

Default Re: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Along with the JWT clutch and JWT flywheel When I pulled away from the dealer I was shocked that the clutch/flywheel setup felt EXACTLY like stock.
Do you have any idea what clutch you got ?

I recieved my JWT combo package today and it seems the clutch is actually a 300ZX twin turbo high performance pressure plate and disc ( 1150kg clamp force) Part number LZ320-TC000

They also sell a Part number LZ320-NC000 which is the non turbo high performance and LZ320-TC1MD which has a 1 side metal disc.

I am not sure who makes these for Jim Wolf Technology but have a clue it is RPS ?

The reason I ask is so I have something to compair with your set up once I get it installed. I think mine might be one step up from yours since I told them it was for a supercharged car and they said this is the combo I want ..... hope they are right ?
Old 12-18-2003, 08:56 PM
RIVET

Default Re: Re: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Originally posted by daddy Z

I recieved my JWT combo package today and it seems the clutch is actually a 300ZX twin turbo high performance pressure plate and disc ( 1150kg clamp force) Part number LZ320-TC000

Yep, the JWT flywheel has two different locating pin patterns on the surface of the flywheel to allow the use of a 350Z clutch and pressure plate or a 300zx setup, of which there are a bunch more options. I think Stillen does this also.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
350Z_Redline

Default Re: Re: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

Originally posted by daddy Z
I just checked the part # on my box and it says LZ320-TC000. So I have the same one as you. I'm still lovin' it, no drivablity issues at all.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:58 PM
daddy Z

Default Re: Re: Re: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review

I just checked the part # on my box and it says LZ320-TC000. So I have the same one as you. I'm still lovin' it, no drivablity issues at all.
It took me about 5 minutes to get use to the new feel and then it was like I never had a better clutch ;-) I am having the same experience as you so far ........ no driveablity issues, no noise, and awsome grabbing power when I need it. As far as the flywheel it is had to say it had much effect on rapping up but since I have a ATI supercharge it had to tell. I can tell that it slows down a lot faster which is good for when I autox :-)

Thanks for all your help. I just wish I knew why my old OEM clutch failed so early. I looked at my old clutch disc and it was warn out. The OEM flywheel and pressure plate looked good and the dealer that installed it said they both checked out OK.

All I know is that I was having slipping problems and burnt clutch smell from almost the first month of driving this car. I think that the clamping force of the stock pressure plate was lower then normal and letting my clutch slip too much. I really wanted my Nissan dealer to make the warranty cover it but they wouldn't even try. I am thinking of calling NISSAN directly to complain about how fast the clutch disc failed. I only had 11,000 miles and 12 months when it failed. You or any one else have any suggestions of what I might say to them or reasons they should pay for at least the install ? So far my stock transmission is not giving me any trouble.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:05 PM
spazpilot

I believe that the JWT flywheel is a fidanza.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:48 AM
uro279

What is slipping?

thanx and Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:53 AM
daddy Z

Originally posted by uro279
What is slipping?
I believe that the JWT flywheel is a fidanza.
what is fidanza ............. the brand or type of flywheel ?

slipping .......... not sure of the spelling, but it is when you push on the gas pedel and the rpm goes up without a corresponding increase in speed. The wheels aren't slipping but the clutch disc is.

Quick Reply: JWT Flywheel & Clutch Review