Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 trans question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 AM
LaserRedB5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 trans question

I have an offer up to trade my Audi for a locals 03 350z PPW 6 speed with 91k and frost interior.

We have swapped for the day and he was very adamant that the PO told him 3rd and 4th were replaced (he's a younger guy that's friends with a lot of my friends).. While out driving it last night, it seemed 3rd and 4th werent extremely notchy, didnt take any real force to get in, but you had to put it into gear.. it didnt fall into place like the Audi's are stock or any other econo car.

Is this just how the gear boxes are on these cars? if i didnt pull it all the way into gear, it would act as if it wasnt going to go.. you def couldnt just use 1 finger and glide through the gears.

Another friend of mine who is a Nissan guy. His dad has an 06 with less then 10k miles and he said the trans is very notchy in every gear so I shouldnt worry about it.

I am simply looking at trading cars to flip the Z on to something else. I have a kid but the can use the wifey's car. He has a kid and needs a clean sedan and has no other car to use except his moms from time to time.

decisions decisions.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All transmissions are different. If you are pleased with the shifting get the Z.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Zero260

2003 had a transmission with weak synchros(mostly the 3rd gear). I have a 2003 and the transmission did feel notchy when I first got it, but it also had the 3rd gear issue, and I had trouble shifting into 3rd over 4000rpm. I eventually replaced it with the CD009 tranny, which feels more notchy, but I don't mind it myself.

I would ask to see if this guy fixed the tranny or replaced the tranny. I think some people still had issues with their 2003 tranny even after rebuilding it, but you would have to research that more.

but like david said, if you like it get it, just go with your gut, if you don't like the car with some slight issues you probably won't like it fully fixed.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
LaserRedB5

Well idk if I'm getting it just yet.. It had hail damage which I knew and was ready to get removed... My pdr guy wants 2050 and says the hood and hatch isn't fixable (he's a good friend.. There are 83 dings in the door alone, 25 of them are quarter sized).. Roofs all quarter to half dollar as well.. Counted 52 total there.. Front fender had 30 mostly dime to quarters.. Rear quarter had 32 13 of them were quarter to half dollar....

:sigh:
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Zero260

This car sounds like a headache.

you plan on flipping it? are you planning on trading straight up, or getting/spending some money? do you think you're gonna see a gain?

those are the questions you'll need to ask yourself. why go through the trouble if you don't gain anything, or lose money.

my .02 cents
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
LaserRedB5

Originally Posted by Zero260
This car sounds like a headache.

you plan on flipping it? are you planning on trading straight up, or getting/spending some money? do you think you're gonna see a gain?

those are the questions you'll need to ask yourself. why go through the trouble if you don't gain anything, or lose money.

my .02 cents
i didnt realize this got moved here till earlier today.

its just the hail that makes it a headache.. the trans shifts smoother at 5k then it does at 2k (in 4th only, the rest are all to begin with.. and yes 3rd and 4th was replaced at one point)... i was getting the Z and a grand, now he's willing to go 2000 since its gonna cost me 3350 to get the dings out, hood replaced and painted, hatch replaced and painted.

its got the normal stuff inside that always break (cupholder, door for the cig lighter between the seats, cubby in the dash).. other then that its a nice car.. drives nice, rides like a Z, is peppy.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At 90k+ you should focus on the part that costs by far the most to rebuild or replace -- the engine. Check for any signs of oil consumption or excessive wear -- compression test and UOE would be my first steps before buying a high mileage VQ.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trans are very notchy in all z's. also the trans were prone to some synchro problems etc. and the newer cd009 trans took care of that. not to say the previous early model z trans were **** because sound performances held up to 1248rwhp and the motor popped before the trans.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
LaserRedB5

I ended up getting the car.. if for anything, its something new. Been playing with Audis for about 5 years now.

So far, its not bad.

thanks guys
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs350z
the trans are very notchy in all z's. also the trans were prone to some synchro problems etc. and the newer cd009 trans took care of that. not to say the previous early model z trans were **** because sound performances held up to 1248rwhp and the motor popped before the trans.
Pretty sure the only thing that changed with the newer revisions was the syncros. Power handling would be the same on dyno since the operator isn't smashing thru gears. Putting 1248rwhp down at the track for more than a couple runs would be another story
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djamps
Pretty sure the only thing that changed with the newer revisions was the syncros. Power handling would be the same on dyno since the operator isn't smashing thru gears. Putting 1248rwhp down at the track for more than a couple runs would be another story
you know they made like 100+ passes at 1000+ right?