Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ls2. Iron block vs aluminium

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM
crsracing19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2. Iron block vs aluminium

I was just curious to what you guys think.
Is the difference in wieght between the aluminum block vs iron block worth the ability to go boost crazy if one so desired.
The way I see it the iron blocks are cheaper stronger.
Yet as much as I love the idea of a TT ls2 350z. I'm concered that such a heavy block will throw off the suspension and cause entirely to much change in a front to rear weight ratio

Last edited by crsracing19; 11-16-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats boost crazy? a sleeved aluminum block is the way to go.

are you in cali? if so you'll never pass inspection with a LS motor swap.

suspension can be modified to adjust for the additional weight as well as the position of the engine over the subframe.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Why are people asking LS2 questions on a 350z forum?... OP you are better off searching ls1tech.com to find your answers
Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your not going to find a ls2 iron block either. you can get a lq4 or lq9 which are 6.2L versions of the current family of general motors small blocks but they dont have an iron 6.0L(the ls2 is a 6.0L) the truck block also will have the truck intake which flows on par with aftermarket intakes but its alot taller. Your looking close to double the weight of the vq going to an iron block gen 4 chevy small block(from everything i can find in relation to the vq and weight.) the aluminum blocks are super strong as well shouldnt have any problem if you upgrade the rods and lower compression pistons................unless mayby your shooting for 700+? cant remember when people start having issues but there are pleanty running around 700ish with no problems.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
nismo69

Originally Posted by jerryd87
your not going to find a ls2 iron block either. you can get a lq4 or lq9 which are 6.2L versions of the current family of general motors small blocks but they dont have an iron 6.0L(the ls2 is a 6.0L) the truck block also will have the truck intake which flows on par with aftermarket intakes but its alot taller. Your looking close to double the weight of the vq going to an iron block gen 4 chevy small block(from everything i can find in relation to the vq and weight.) the aluminum blocks are super strong as well shouldnt have any problem if you upgrade the rods and lower compression pistons................unless mayby your shooting for 700+? cant remember when people start having issues but there are pleanty running around 700ish with no problems.
Dont listen to people on this forum about ls motor questions. Example is this guy. The lq4 and lq9 are 6.0 NOT 6.2. They are both iron block the lq4 has different pistons which means lower compression compared to the lq9. The iron block is about 80 pounds heavier than the aluminum ones.

Google is your friend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Langdonious Rex

My answer to all your questions is yes.

Seriously, you're going to need a lot more information before anyone will be able to give you an informed answer. What's your power goal? What's the car's main purpose? Define "crazy boost". What's your budget? I could go on forever.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
crsracing19

My original idea would be a 600hp tt ls
which is not really boost crazy. I'm not really concerned for emmissions I plan for the z to be strictly a weekend warrior trailer queen by that point. Strictly for drift/ time attack/ weekend track day
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Langdonious Rex

You can do 600hp reliably with an N/A LS2 so I don't understand why you'd want to run twin turbos other than it just sounds cool.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM
jerryd87

my bad jackass for typing the wrong info the l99 is the 6.2L and they dont make a iron block 5.7L my bad for typing at 3 in the morning when i actually have free time since i spend the rest of my day trying to make sure my guys kill the guys who wanna kill all americans, but i guess mistakes dont happen in your world and for your info i did work at a cadillac dealership and a chevy dealership for several years and drove nothing but my blazer and camaros i know what im talking about but everyone misreads and gets jumpled sometimes, one of the previous threads asking about it has all the correct info from me. Im guessing by the fact you had to go to the most unreliable source on the web for your info(granted its correct this time but still a very unreliable sourcd) im willing to bet money ive worked on more gen 3/4 engines then you have even seen. As far as the op if you only want 600 hp then get a aluminum block and for 3k you can get a stroker kit that will last you forever and make a rediculous amount of torque as well as hp. about 3k for the rotating assembly from callies, about 3500-3800 for one from lunati who i am a huge huge fan of never had a problem with there products even after they broke off from holley.

Originally Posted by nismo69
Dont listen to people on this forum about ls motor questions. Example is this guy. The lq4 and lq9 are 6.0 NOT 6.2. They are both iron block the lq4 has different pistons which means lower compression compared to the lq9. The iron block is about 80 pounds heavier than the aluminum ones.

Google is your friend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
nismo69

Somebody needs to settle down. I didn't rag you at all just said I would search some where else. I'm not saying you did this and that. I don't care what you have worked on or are going to in the future. All I know is I have a lq9 and a lq4 in my garage I'm working on. Also Thank You for serving our country. I have plenty of friends and relatives over seas right now in the millitary. Come back safe! I dont like to quote wiki any more than I have too but they are correct on these motors.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
makdaddynuge

Originally Posted by jerryd87
my bad jackass for typing the wrong info the l99 is the 6.2L and they dont make a iron block 5.7L my bad for typing at 3 in the morning when i actually have free time since i spend the rest of my day trying to make sure my guys kill the guys who wanna kill all americans, but i guess mistakes dont happen in your world and for your info i did work at a cadillac dealership and a chevy dealership for several years and drove nothing but my blazer and camaros i know what im talking about but everyone misreads and gets jumpled sometimes, one of the previous threads asking about it has all the correct info from me. Im guessing by the fact you had to go to the most unreliable source on the web for your info(granted its correct this time but still a very unreliable sourcd) im willing to bet money ive worked on more gen 3/4 engines then you have even seen. As far as the op if you only want 600 hp then get a aluminum block and for 3k you can get a stroker kit that will last you forever and make a rediculous amount of torque as well as hp. about 3k for the rotating assembly from callies, about 3500-3800 for one from lunati who i am a huge huge fan of never had a problem with there products even after they broke off from holley.
"they" do make a 5.7 liter iron block...its called the lt1 from the 1993-1997 f-body
Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
jerryd87

Congratz on being the looser who brings up a COMPLETELY different engine into the subject might as well have said "well dodge makes a 5.7 iron block!" the lt1 is GM's gen 2 small block essentially a reverse flow gen 1 small block chevy with a few other modifications can even take the internals out of a gen 2 and put them into a gen 1 and vice versa. want another bit of info? your completely wrong in even the lt1 being iron as its a aluminum block you find a iron block in a 93-97 f body and you found yourself a car thats had a swap done, pretty easy since they even use the same engine mounts and bell housing bolt pattern. but again this is ALL a moot point as the gen 1 and gen 2 engines have absolutly NOTHING in common with the gen 3 and gen 4 ls/lq engines that EVERYONE here except you is talking about but nice try walk along and find someone who knows less then you.

ps just so you know the displacement isnt even the same as the ls1 5.7L is 346 cubic inchs and the gen 1 sbc and the gen 2 lt1 are both 350 cubic inchs. bore x stroke on the ls1 is 3.9 in x 3.62 in and the bore stroke on the gen 1 and 2 is 4 in x 3.48 in
Originally Posted by makdaddynuge
"they" do make a 5.7 liter iron block...its called the lt1 from the 1993-1997 f-body

Originally Posted by makdaddynuge
Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 AM
makdaddynuge

I still believe my statement is correct and your grammar skills need work.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
LuciaPwNs

Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy guys ... we don't need all this back and forth epenis BS. Jerry knows his shizz, so cut him some slack, we all make mistakes. If this thread becomes useless Mike will make it disappear with the quickness.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 PM
jerryd87

sorry my bad been in a bad mood past couple days but dude definatly do research on chevy small block engines the gen 3/4 lq/ls engines are no where close to the gen 1 and gen 2 engines the bottom ends of the gen 1 and two are the same minus revearse flow cooling. gen two top end is very different although you can put a lt1 intake on gen 1 engines with modifications. gen 1 also have distributors, gen 2 lt1 have optispark ran off the front of the engine and gen3/4 are all controlled by the ecu. no part on a gen 3 or 4 will interchange with gen 1 or 2

like i said saying "oh in 62-98 they had a 5.7L iron block engine!" since the lt1 is actually an aluminum block, as is the lt4 and the lt5 i have personally seen all three of these engines in person not a single one was iron block, granted i couldnt touch the lt5 since it was in a musuem(bet you dint know they had a dual overhead cam v8 in a few corvettes did yah?) they are completely different engines just the same as GM's 2.0L "iron duke" is a very very different engine then there 2.0L ecotec. also like trying to compare a nissan vq30 with a vg30(although i dont know much about either engine.) just because they are the same displacement they are very diffent engines.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM
makdaddynuge

ok man, I am glad you know a lot of information and like to throw it out there to show your intelligence. But, all i said was that they do make a iron block 5.7 liter...i never said it was similar to the ls engine. And i understand how it feels to be in a bad mood, but no need to call people a jackass or loser.

but anyway,please send me a link that shows me the lt1 being alluminum, i need to learn more about chevy engines apparently.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Wikiwiki

markdaddy just shitting knowledge like a boss
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 PM
jerryd87

lol tell me then why are you bringing up a completely different engine in a thread labeled "Ls2. Iron block vs aluminium" sure if you decide you want to talk about different engines alot of people make iron 5.7L blocks but they are not ls/lq engines which is what this ENTIRE thread is about until you came in and derailed it. What you did was take my post out of context to try and make yourself look smart. do your own research or better yet go get some hands on time with the engines chevys are what i started with a hell of alot cheaper to mod a gen 1 sbc then a nissan vq engine, thats where all my experience comes from is hands on time not some body's online website who may be wrong. ive handled several of these engines in camaros, firebirds and corvettes all this series is aluminum

im glad you are "shitting knowledge" as wikiwiki seems to think but im still waiting for something that is correct and something that actually pertains to the original topic
Old 11-20-2011, 06:51 AM
makdaddynuge

I brought up a completely different engine after the fact that you did. Yes the title is ls2 alum vs iron and what engine do you bring in first? The lq4, lq9, and the l99. Your first post to the thread with misguided information.

I brought up the lt1 because your second post in the thread had misguided information. And not to mention the fact you called nismo69 a jackass. You seem to know a lot but you also can not prove it all. I took the time to find some links to lt1 information. I do hear the internet is full of bad information but i still think you are wrong about the aluminum block lt1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine
http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm
http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/lt1-en...n-power-specs/

Quick Reply: Ls2. Iron block vs aluminium