Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cheapest Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
StrangeBlubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest Clutch Review

Hey guys, bear with me, this is my first review and will only represent my personal experience over the last few days.
Actually it's more of a Clutch and Flywheel combo.

First of all the parts,
F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch & Chromoly Ltw Flywheel G35 350Z 03-07

You can buy each separably, but the whole bundle is $419, I paid $450 after shipping though.

My Story:
A few weeks ago, I bought my lovely 350z. I could tell there was something iffy with the clutch and at 104k miles. It was going to need a replacing. I drove it around for a few weeks, and I could feel slippage increasing over time, until finally. My clutch completely went out.

I began my research, I wanted a cheap clutch that would work with the car. I am not a power nut and really just enjoy the look of the car. I don't race or drive overly aggressively.

I found that incredibly cheap clutch online and decided that if I got it, I would review it for My 350z.

Review:
So far so good actually. No issues, and I am quite happy with it.
You will notice a change from stock, stock has a lot of play with the actual stick, now the entire mechanism is tighter, but in a good way. I really feel like it drops into gear vs. slides.

So far no issues, if someone would like me to preform some sort of test on it, just let me know.

Does rattle slightly when rpm falls low in gear.

But I would suggest this clutch if you're looking to get your Z back on the road!

Thanks everyone, and have a nice day.
Kane.

P.s. For those curious on installation. A co-worker suggestion a brakes plus mechanic who was amazing and put the thing in for $400 flat.

If you're looking for a great Mechanic in Denver. Call Kent Tanner at
303.220.9111. Tell him Kane with the 350z clutch replacement sent ya.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
R350Zz33

Have you drove a z with a oem new flywheel and clutch
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 AM
StrangeBlubber

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
Have you drove a z with a oem new flywheel and clutch
I have not, I'm afraid I cannot weigh in on the differences between a brand new stock clutch. Mine was quite old, but still operable.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 AM
big_dish

I also just bought my 350z, and had to have the clutch immediately replaced. The slippage from day one to day 7 was extremely pronounced. I also drive moderately, and take it pretty easy on cars. Glad to hear you found something so cost-effective.

Here is my story (just to give readers another option).

I found an Exedy OEM replacement kit for $250 at Carolinaclutch.com.
My tuner shop I have been using for 2 years- my previous car was German and they are a Euro shop, but they employ a former Nissan tech (lucked out keeping a great shop).

Being a Euro-Tuner, they have all the necessary tools/machinist for resurfacing dual mass flywheels (most, or all BMWs have DMF I believe). Being that my flywheel wasnt in bad shape, I had it resurfaced instead of replacing. Personally, from what I want out of the car at the moment, I am 100% fine with the resurfaced flywheel. If I ever start modding, then I will revisit.

Some people say not to resurface, but I think the general consensus is, if you can find someone with the correct machinery/skills to do it, and your flywheel isnt beat to **** with hotspots etc, it is fine to get them resurfaced.

So I paid $250 for the clutch kit, paid for labor, and now have a solid new clutch, and for a TON less than the Nissan stealership quoted me ($2000). Ouch. So much better power/response than I had the first two weeks of ownership.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM
StrangeBlubber

Originally Posted by big_dish
I also just bought my 350z, and had to have the clutch immediately replaced. The slippage from day one to day 7 was extremely pronounced. I also drive moderately, and take it pretty easy on cars. Glad to hear you found something so cost-effective.

Here is my story (just to give readers another option).

I found an Exedy OEM replacement kit for $250 at Carolinaclutch.com.
My tuner shop I have been using for 2 years- my previous car was German and they are a Euro shop, but they employ a former Nissan tech (lucked out keeping a great shop).

Being a Euro-Tuner, they have all the necessary tools/machinist for resurfacing dual mass flywheels (most, or all BMWs have DMF I believe). Being that my flywheel wasnt in bad shape, I had it resurfaced instead of replacing. Personally, from what I want out of the car at the moment, I am 100% fine with the resurfaced flywheel. If I ever start modding, then I will revisit.

Some people say not to resurface, but I think the general consensus is, if you can find someone with the correct machinery/skills to do it, and your flywheel isnt beat to **** with hotspots etc, it is fine to get them resurfaced.

So I paid $250 for the clutch kit, paid for labor, and now have a solid new clutch, and for a TON less than the Nissan stealership quoted me ($2000). Ouch. So much better power/response than I had the first two weeks of ownership.
I'm glad I've only heard good remarks from people escaping stealerships!
And nice job picking up a great kit.

I couldn't get re-surfaced unfortunately, but that would be one of my first go to pieces of advice to other drivers. Bottom line, if you feel the car slipping, don't try and make it home, make it to a shop!

More importantly, one you trust.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 AM
gogobee

I am glad that I found this post. I have been researching which clutch to get.
I was thinking about the EXEDY but seem like the F1 Stage may be a cheaper choice.

How's the clutch working for your so far StrangeBlubber?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just gotta be careful with many of some setups, as lots of them use 'seconds' or rejected components from the major manufacturers to assemble their kits
Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
juanmotime06

I just purchased the F1 stage 3 clutch kit the dealer is installing it as I type along with a new fly wheel and transmission. Ill ad an update to this thread after I check it out. I'm an EXTREMELY aggressive driver many gear drops and clutch dumps I have also caught some sweet air in my Z about 3 times If this clutch can survive my "testing" I think everyone else will be ok. Oh if anyone is looking for a good Nissan dealer in the phoenix area hit up Larry H Miller Nissan at the Mesa Riverview. Awesome customer service the guy I do business with doesn't beat around the bush.He's fair and honest. All my repairs there have been warranty repairs and he's even gone about replacing parts that were not covered under my warranty like my flywheel for instance. He also had my control arms replaced for bad bushings besides the fact that my Z is lowered and has 25mm spacers and one of the arms was bent. Any other dealer would have voided my warranty.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
StrangeBlubber

THIS CLUTCH HAS NOW FAILED ME.

It worked for approx. two months. Do not buy it, it doesn't have a centriforce.

Again, do-not buy.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

next time do it the right way instead of the eBay way. If you bought something half decent from the beginning and paid a little more you would have paid less than where you are now. Fawking car is as cheap as a fugging civic