Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch/Flywheel install tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012 | 02:50 PM
STL 350Z

Default Clutch/Flywheel install tomorrow.

Finally got everything needed to start on my install tomorrow (Exedy Clutch and ACT Streelite Flywheel) and an awesome heater. Car's up on jack stands in the garage and I did a pre-install inspection. So far the only thing I can see that will result in a problem is the stock exhaust @ 108k miles is not exactly in the greatest shape. The Y pipe needs to be removed and every stud/nut is rusted so bad there's no more threads so they are going to have to be broken off with a nut buster (hahaha nut buster)....

This shouldn't be much of an issue to get new studs and nuts to replace them with but I do know how badly I need to replace the exhaust as the flanges are horribly rusted as well.

I have been reading everything I can on the install (service manual and the instructions here)

Does anyone have any last minute advice I should follow?
Old 01-24-2012 | 02:56 PM
Ruthless18x

Aren't you going turbo? Why not just replace the exhaust now?

On jack stands its going to be a frustrating swap, so just have patience.
Old 01-24-2012 | 03:15 PM
STL 350Z

Won't be going turbo until I get some personal things taken care of. Also I have a new job lined up and it will take a while to get back on my feet and when I do I'll be in the market for the Fujitsubo Legalis R. I never knew my exhaust was in this kinda of shape and honestly surprised there's no leaks.

Yeah being on jack stands is frustrating and kinda scares me too. I'm just going to take my time and have my father help out with what he can. He has Rheumatoid Arthritis and wants to help but it's hard for him to move much. Also I'll enjoy getting some father/son time in with him plus have someone there in case an accident occurs.
Old 01-24-2012 | 05:06 PM
robertgtz

Default enjoy....

nice i like that idea of father and son, but remember this is not a easy job. to take that trans out in jack stands.
i have a hr and i take the trans without removing the exhaust or o2 sensor but i don't recommend this is my 3rd Z.
Old 01-24-2012 | 05:10 PM
Ruthless18x

Word. Just take it slow and you'll be alright.
Old 01-24-2012 | 05:31 PM
STL 350Z

I've pulled the trans on my 96 Nissan Hardbody 3 times now (damn Chinese/Mexican NAPA clutch's)... it's easy since it's far off the ground hahahaha!

Just gonna take it slow.... I'm in no hurry.
Old 01-24-2012 | 05:54 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You have a transmission press right? Its not crazy heavy, but under the car like that its not easy to handle.

When doing the rear of the driveshaft, loosen the two bolts at the bottom, release the parking brake and rotate the rear wheels by hand until the top bolts are on the bottom... much easier than doing all 4 at once.
Old 01-24-2012 | 06:09 PM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by Cass007
You have a transmission press right? Its not crazy heavy, but under the car like that its not easy to handle.

When doing the rear of the driveshaft, loosen the two bolts at the bottom, release the parking brake and rotate the rear wheels by hand until the top bolts are on the bottom... much easier than doing all 4 at once.
Borrowing a trans jack tomorrow... and thanks for the tip. Basically the same thing I did on my trucks drive shaft.
Old 01-25-2012 | 10:35 AM
AngelsVQ

I did mine in my garage too. Not to bad. Just make sure you set the stands up high. When that transmission comes down you need room to drag it out. And I just used my crapy spare jack to bring the tranny down. Also when you bring the tranny down make sure it's even. If it tilts back the oil will drain out the back
Old 01-25-2012 | 12:00 PM
Classy

I didn't pull the transmission all of the way out, I disconnected the driveshaft and scooted the transmission back with a floor jack supporting it and then put it back when I was done, the damn bolts holding the flywheel in are a pain in the *** if you strip them...
Old 01-25-2012 | 12:36 PM
STL 350Z

Well today didn't go well.... the trans jack we borrowed was too tall and if we would have used it there would have been no way to get the trans down and pull it out. So we have to source a lower profile jack. Thankfully I didn't start taking anything apart....... stay tuned.

Off topic it was a nice day... around 65 degrees! Such a shame I didn't get anything accomplished.
Old 01-27-2012 | 07:53 PM
STL 350Z

Good news. Everything is ready for the transmission to come down tomorrow!

Bad news... I noticed that there is oil on the back of my drivers side head. Seems like it may be coming from the back of the valve cover. Will post pic's tomorrow.

Last edited by STL 350Z; 01-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 08:26 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
Good news. Everything is ready for the transmission to come down tomorrow!

Bad news... I noticed that there is oil on the back of my drivers side head. Seems like it may be coming from the back of the valve cover. Will post pic's tomorrow.
Not entirely uncommon. Get some new gaskets and re-install. You can put a touch or RTV on the rear side corners for extra protection. Just be sure its coming from the corner of the gasket and not the inner seal around the spark plug tube. Its not a fun job, but you can do it with patience.
Old 01-28-2012 | 09:31 AM
STL 350Z

Originally Posted by Cass007
Not entirely uncommon. Get some new gaskets and re-install. You can put a touch or RTV on the rear side corners for extra protection. Just be sure its coming from the corner of the gasket and not the inner seal around the spark plug tube. Its not a fun job, but you can do it with patience.
Thanks Cass.... I will inspect it once I get the trans down and post pic's in the engine section. Im taking a lunch break now and all the remains is the 2 top 14mm bolts and then the brace holding the trans up.

So far everything is going good.... slow but good.

Last edited by STL 350Z; 01-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2012 | 12:09 PM
STL 350Z

Starting to wonder if there is a secret to sliding this transmission out. All bolts are out and it's just not sliding off the back of the engine. Got a friend on the way to help wrestle with this thing.

Old 01-28-2012 | 03:33 PM
STL 350Z

Update:

Called one of my bestfriends and he came over to help. We got the trans down as it was just hung up on the brace below the steering rack.

I'm gonna say this... I have NO IDEA how on earth that clutch was still able to work. It was literally worn down the the metal and rivets. Clutch fibers and dust were everywhere and the smell was horrible. I took a shower and I still smell like burnt clutch...

The flywheel... TRASHED! Had blueish hot spots and it was gouged out really bad where the clutch rivets were eating into it. So I am glad I got the flywheel/clutch combo or I would have had to order a flywheel.

The old throwout bearing that howled like a banshee.... hahaha wow is all I'm gonna say!

So tomorrow all we have to do is get the new throwout bearing back on the input shaft, place the transmission back up, starter, driveshaft, wiring and exhaust then basically learn how to drive my car again with the lightweight flywheel.

I have to say it's been good spending this time with my father and my bestfriend... there's been some good laughs and I wanna thank MY350Z for the valuable members and information here.
Old 01-29-2012 | 03:42 PM
STL 350Z

Well it's done and I'm beat... maiden voyage is tonight.

No chatter that I can hear, it's a little different pulling out but nothing I can't get used to in a nights worth of driving.
Old 01-29-2012 | 05:29 PM
AngelsVQ

very nice. good job man!
Old 01-30-2012 | 07:23 AM
STL 350Z

I don't see what everyone cries about when driving a Z or G with a lightweight flywheel. 1st driving impressions last night (60 miles round trip)... Pulling out people say you have to rev it up more but I didn't have to do anymore than what I did with the stock flywheel, there's a little chatter under 3000 rpm in 2nd gear but to me that's no big deal, shifting took a little getting used to as the rev's drop a little quicker but nothing you cant get used to, cruising I noticed the engine rpm's are lower and idling mine doesn't sound like the "cement mixer" you hear about.

So all in all I am happy and by doing it myself with the help of my bestfriend and father I saved money on labor costs.

Also... doing this on jack stands SUCKS but it's possible and if your like me and have a bad back you're gonna be sore as hell for a few days.
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:44 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
I don't see what everyone cries about when driving a Z or G with a lightweight flywheel. 1st driving impressions last night (60 miles round trip)... Pulling out people say you have to rev it up more but I didn't have to do anymore than what I did with the stock flywheel, there's a little chatter under 3000 rpm in 2nd gear but to me that's no big deal, shifting took a little getting used to as the rev's drop a little quicker but nothing you cant get used to, cruising I noticed the engine rpm's are lower and idling mine doesn't sound like the "cement mixer" you hear about.

So all in all I am happy and by doing it myself with the help of my bestfriend and father I saved money on labor costs.

Also... doing this on jack stands SUCKS but it's possible and if your like me and have a bad back you're gonna be sore as hell for a few days.
ok so how about driving impressions? I bet the car almost revs up like a sport bike. I can't wait to do mine. What set up did you go with?

Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel install tomorrow.