Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

are pulleys worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:27 AM
f r e z N Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This has been discussed to great lengths

...for the VQ30DE.

From what I can recall, nobody at maxima.org has noticed a lack of harmonic crank balance after installing a pulley, as the original pulley was not built to be a harmonic balancing element. It would still be wise to do some searches there before purchaseing a pulley to see if anybody has ever had a problem, other than some poorly manufactured pulleys that were cutting a grove in the crank seal. I have not been there in a while, so I have not been able to follow things.

Now, I'm not knowledgable of all the differences between the VQ30 and the VQ35, but it sounds better to start a search where guys have been doing it longer with a nearly identical engine. Just my $.02.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll post the pictue later on....wehave used pullies on the VQ motors since the pullies came out (Unorthodox is very local to us), and have never had an engine failure of any kind
Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
trackstar

Default Re: This has been discussed to great lengths

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
...for the VQ30DE.

From what I can recall, nobody at maxima.org has noticed a lack of harmonic crank balance after installing a pulley, as the original pulley was not built to be a harmonic balancing element. It would still be wise to do some searches there before purchaseing a pulley to see if anybody has ever had a problem, other than some poorly manufactured pulleys that were cutting a grove in the crank seal. I have not been there in a while, so I have not been able to follow things.

Now, I'm not knowledgable of all the differences between the VQ30 and the VQ35, but it sounds better to start a search where guys have been doing it longer with a nearly identical engine. Just my $.02.
There are several guys at TTnet (obviously the Z32 with the VG30DETT engine) that have spun bearing and directly attribute it to crank pulleys. While it is hard to tell, it is not really a chance I am willing to take.

FLY BY Z, no harm intended, it just seemed like you were dismissing the issue but later acknowledged it may be a problem. No harm no foul.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
z33boi

so is there no point of really getting the other two pulleys and jus get the crank pulley?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
FLY BY Z

Default Re: Re: This has been discussed to great lengths

Originally posted by trackstar
There are several guys at TTnet (obviously the Z32 with the VG30DETT engine) that have spun bearing and directly attribute it to crank pulleys. While it is hard to tell, it is not really a chance I am willing to take.
I bet statistically there are more motors with spun bearings without a crank pulley than there are with a crank pulley.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:54 AM
f r e z N Y

Default Re: Re: This has been discussed to great lengths

Originally posted by trackstar
There are several guys at TTnet (obviously the Z32 with the VG30DETT engine) that have spun bearing and directly attribute it to crank pulleys.
That may be the case, as I am not that familiar with the VG. While it may be a dangerous upgrade for some engines, I have never seen/heard of it being a problem with a VQ.

To answer the question of it being worth while for other pulleys..., my logic says, anytime I improve the drivetrain so that I get back power that I was previously being robbed of, it can't be bad. If it's a bang for the buck question, the primary pulley is widely recommended.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:43 PM
trackstar

Default Re: Re: Re: This has been discussed to great lengths

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
I bet statistically there are more motors with spun bearings without a crank pulley than there are with a crank pulley.
Probably. I guess it just comes down to a risk analysis. I'm undecided, but in my old age I tend to err on the conservative side.