Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

are pulleys worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 07:07 PM
xsmallpaulx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are pulleys worth the money?

first question is, are pulleys worth the money. if they are should i get just the crank pulley or the 3-piece set. i have herd so many stories for both. some peple say the only the crank pulley provides the hp gains and the other 2 or just for looks. and other tell me that the other 2 play a key in making more hp becasue they are lighter and other stuff like that. can someone please help. oh yeah one more question, what hp gain should i expect?
Old 12-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Ultimateone

Just get the crank pulley and you'll notice the difference right away, any of the forum sponsors can hook you up with a UR pulley.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:25 PM
alex30327

The UR pulleys were the only thing I asked for for X-mas, and of course I did not get it. I ordered one last night from Courtesy Nissan (excellent service with over 20 orders). I plan to get a dyno once I get the crank pulley installed, and will post the results.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:49 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never a believer in UD pulley's until a So.Cal dyno day. Several cars had them and showed 6 to 8 hp gain. I bought a set and dynoed myself and gained 6hp across the board. I now not only believe in them, I sell them: http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=260 You only need buy the lower crank pulley.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:52 AM
xsmallpaulx

i herd that the other 2 pulleys will compensate in the power loss that you get from the ur pulley. like the loss of power from your alternator and air condtioner. is that true?
Old 12-27-2003, 09:13 AM
trackstar

There is no doubt the pulleys add power. However, there is a long-standing debate about their long-term effect on the engine due to the lack of harmonic vibration damping. Now, I have never seen this issue mentioned on this board so I don't know if it applies (I'm not an engineer), but I can't see why it wouldn't. All I know is, my M3 groups and my Z32 groups generally chose to stay away from them due to the possible risks, myself included. I'm not willing to risk my engine (to that degree) for a few hp.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:21 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by trackstar
There is no doubt the pulleys add power. However, there is a long-standing debate about their long-term effect on the engine due to the lack of harmonic vibration damping. Now, I have never seen this issue mentioned on this board so I don't know if it applies (I'm not an engineer), but I can't see why it wouldn't. All I know is, my M3 groups and my Z32 groups generally chose to stay away from them due to the possible risks, myself included. I'm not willing to risk my engine (to that degree) for a few hp.
You haven't seen this issue mentioned here because you have been here for a month. It has been mentioned. It was decided that the VQ is intenally damped, the stock pulley is not a harmonic balancer (only a pulley), and that no adverse effects would be realized. Is this true? I don't know. That's just what they say and a lot of people accept it/agree with it. The only problem I have heard of was a guy ran a pulley with NO2 and blew his motor. He blamed it partially on the pulley at first then realized his fuel and NO2 jets were switched. So I guess no problems with a pulley yet. If there does turn out to be a problem, it will be pretty long term. Maybe we will go from a 200K motor to a 150K motor. No one actually knows for sure. Sort of like Lasik and cell phones.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 12-27-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I qwouldn't run pullies on ANY BMW unless you are accompanying it with a rebuild and full rebalancing....more engineering goes into developing lawnmower engines than their bottom ends
Old 12-27-2003, 12:06 PM
trackstar

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
It has been mentioned. It was decided that the VQ is intenally dampened, the stock pulley is not a harmonic balancer (only a pulley), and that no adverse effects would be realized.
Well that answers that.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:42 PM
uro279

What is the "bottom end"?

thanx
Old 12-27-2003, 05:09 PM
FLY BY Z

The block, crankshaft, pistons, rods, oil pan. Everything below the heads/intake manifold is the bottom end of the motor. When people refer to the top end of the motor they mean the heads, intake area. The top end is where most power gains can be realized by modification as this is where the airflow primarily is. Think of the bottom end parts are linemen and the top end parts as the QB, running backs, receivers. One provides support and the other uses that support to acheive goals but you need both to even get going.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 12-27-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

BOTOM END is lower RPM range...

The Pully increases HP and TQ across the board...
Old 12-27-2003, 10:56 PM
fdao

The block, crankshaft, pistons, rods, oil pan. Everything below the heads/intake manifold is the bottom end of the motor. When people refer to the top end of the motor they mean the heads, intake area. The top end is where most power gains can be realized by modification as this is where the airflow primarily is. Think of the bottom end parts are linemen and the top end parts as the QB, running backs, receivers. One provides support and the other uses that support to acheive goals but you need both to even get going.
Pretty original analogy
Old 12-28-2003, 07:07 AM
350G

After bringing in the auto specialties pulley (aspracing.com) to the 3G Eclipse market, I researched the pros / cons for them. Many members were conservative with pulleys since the 3G had a dampened pulley (rubber inner lining) and to my dismay, UR produced a few bad ones (warped). UR removed themselves from the 3G market and I invited aspracing to manufacture a pulley for our vehicles. Needless to say, 1 out of 10 may throw a SES light when the vehicle rammed into the redline cutoff, but after having several master mechanics from Mitsu take a closer look, it was determined that Mitsu had a narrow tolerance in the ECU for its crank angle sensor, which would throw the random misfire SES. Since our vehicle (from the above post) doesn't seem to use the pulley as a dampening device, we should have no problems whatsoever. But, lets say it does use it as a damper, what then? Most of the dampen hype involves big block V8s and the BMW 3 series vehicles. V8s need the damper due to the large amounts of power, while the 3 series was just one b!tch of a car to run a pulley.

If someone wants one hell of a pulley at a lower cost, we need someone to contact aspracing and send a stock pulley to them. I did so with the 3G and we were able to knock off $100 from UR's pricing, while receiving a flawless product. I've since sold my eclipse for the 350, but the pulley was the absolute best bang for the buck.

I already have a UR pulley on hold at my shop and I couldn't send a pulley to aspracing. If anyone has one laying around or could be without their vehicle for over a week, feel free to pursue the idea with Lee at aspracing.com. Happy Tuning!

Gary

Last edited by 350G; 12-28-2003 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:43 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone post a close up picture of the factory pulley? I'd like to see if there is any elastomer in it.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:54 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by 350Zteve
Can anyone post a close up picture of the factory pulley? I'd like to see if there is any elastomer in it.
there is a rubber ring inside, there are pics if you search i am sure they have been posted before. despite this, the conclusion was still reached by the forum.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:22 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is elastomer in the stock pulley, then I can guarantee it performs a dampning function. Whether it be vibration or harmonic dampning, Nissan engineers put it their for a reason. Removing such dampners is a great way to shorten main bearing life.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:25 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by 350Zteve
If there is elastomer in the stock pulley, then I can guarantee it performs a dampning function. Whether it be vibration or harmonic dampning, Nissan engineers put it their for a reason. Removing such dampners is a great way to shorten main bearing life.
I personally agree with you. But, alas, I am getting a pulley anyways. The motor is going to be fully built sometime or another anyways. I have a feeling it will be long before bearing failure from a pulley occurs.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:12 AM
trackstar

I personally agree with you. But, alas, I am getting a pulley anyways. The motor is going to be fully built sometime or another anyways. I have a feeling it will be long before bearing failure from a pulley occurs.
Not for nothing, but if this is the case, why did you tell me it was a non-issue?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:37 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by trackstar
Not for nothing, but if this is the case, why did you tell me it was a non-issue?
Reread my post and you will see that I said:

It has been mentioned. It was decided that the VQ is intenally damped, the stock pulley is not a harmonic balancer (only a pulley), and that no adverse effects would be realized. Is this true? I don't know. That's just what they say and a lot of people accept it/agree with it.
I never told you that it was ok. I am getting one and don't think that the adverse affects will be noticeable. I also mentioned after that that we may see motor life shortened an estimated 50K miles. How is that telling you that everything will always be peachy and it is a nonissue?

Quick Reply: are pulleys worth the money?