Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

If you have blown (lost) a VQ35DE Engine , or parts of it, this thread is ours

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:46 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb If you have blown (lost) a VQ35DE Engine , or parts of it, this thread is ours

Please keep the debates out of this on when and where and why so we don't go ten pages, that's been done ad-nasuem.

You either have lost an engine or you haven't. Please state what was on your car when it or parts of it blew and what you did to fix it, or whether there is a resolution pending. If a resolution is pending please state your goals to not have the engine go again. I will start.

ATI Complete kit, FMIC, FMU. Blower, Borla Headers, Borla True Dual, Crawford Plenum. Blew due to lean conditions. (Documented and resolved.)

Status, new 2004 VQ35DE engine, larger injectors, larger fuel pump, removed FMU, retarded timing , flashed ECU to control larger injectors, shifting and fuel system. Still 11.5 still have the Crawford, the headers and TD. Lost the FMU. Car runs great at 9 pounds. Will be adding Tranny and oil cooler in the spring.

Anyone else? Even if it is N20 or N/A what we are looking for is patterns others can avoid. Lets see how this goes. Hopefully we can get somewhere and help some people.

P.S. If you have symptoms leading up to blowing Ie detonation or lean conditions please feel free to join and elaborate on how you plan on going about fixing it. If your car runs perfect, please start a "my car runs fine thread." Thanks in advance.

1. 12SECZ
ATI Complete kit, FMIC, FMU. Blower, Borla Headers, Borla True Dual, Crawford Plenum. Blew due to lean conditions. (Documented and resolved.) Cylinder #6.

Status, new 2004 VQ35DE engine, larger injectors, larger fuel pump, removed FMU, retarded timing , flashed ECU to control larger injectors, shifting and fuel system. Still 11.5 still have the Crawford, the headers and TD. Lost the FMU. Car runs great at 9 pounds.

2. DaKing's Friend
My buddy had the ATI and only Borla True dual exhaust
Got Dyno tuned to a 12:5 A/F and made 386HP at the wheels
Next day ran a 13.1 @ 108 and KABOOM!!!
Lost cylinder in the rear, completely melted the plug!!!
Resolution is pending...Plans for Twin Turbo...

Last edited by 12SecZ; 12-27-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:54 PM
daking350
Banned

I am posting for a friend...
Old 12-27-2003, 02:30 AM
12SecZ

Updated 12-27-03 0331

1. 12SECZ
ATI Complete kit, FMIC, FMU. Blower, Borla Headers, Borla True Dual, Crawford Plenum. Blew due to lean conditions. (Documented and resolved.) Cylinder #6.

Status, new 2004 VQ35DE engine, larger injectors, larger fuel pump, removed FMU, retarded timing , flashed ECU to control larger injectors, shifting and fuel system. Still 11.5 still have the Crawford, the headers and TD. Lost the FMU. Car runs great at 9 pounds.

2. DaKing's Friend

3. William May2003
Direct Port NX. + ~200hp
Slicks, spray off the line and a stock clutch don't mix. No window switch. Clutch slipped off the line, hit the rev limiter. N2O backfire blew #1 & #2 plug apart. Ensuing garbage caused #1 exhaust value to stick open, burned a nice wedge out of the valve.
Car still ran 12.8 @112 on 4 cylinders, some of you old timers might remember this....
Finally getting the car back together, found #2 rod bent.
New internals on order, Autronic now controlling N2O, forced induction on the way by febuary.

4. Robin ATI @ 7psi w/ FMU, no in filter on blower unit and hole cut into frame for more air flow(On G35 Coupe), Borla Headers, Test Pipes, Borla True Dual, Crawford Plenum. 12:1 A/F. Ran fine until the Plenum, which was installed on the coldest day of the year(this is in Miami). Pushed(actually had some guys help) the car home with a hole in the side of the motor.

Status, bulding VQ35DE engine, This is the plan:
Block sleeved/Decked for reinforcement (thanks Ravaz for pointing me in the right direction) Already purchased a complete motor to get worked on.

New bearings, Pauter Rods, Ross 8.5:1 Pistons, Heads polished with new valves, new springs and Tomei Cams(have not decided which) To be setup for strong midrange power band. 18psi of boost on the prcharger @7800 rpm. Will upgrade cooling sys. clutch & prob the l/s as expecting approx 600hp.

Also larger injectors, larger fuel pump, removing FMU, possibly a fuel rail and either a new standalone ECU or piggyback with completely new timing map, not just a fix. This will prob be the hardest part!! (thanks DAKing)

5.mjedens October:
After consistently dynoing over 400 RWHP & 400 Torque (Zex Kit & all the bolt ons) for 2 months (10 trips to the strip) the A/F went extremely lean without changing anything. Blew 4 plugs & destroyed the 4 corresponding valves and both heads! Rebuilt motors internals (pistons,rods,springs,cams,heads) and "motor only" ran strong with dyno's around 300 but A/F was @ high to low 13's ! Tried to dyno with n20 again (reduced n20 jet 10 sizes & left the fuel jet alone so I would be sure & run rich) and blew the exhaust valves on #6 & #1 (corresponding plugs were destroyed) . The A/F ratio did not "richen" up at all when I reduced the n20 jet size. Any ideas what the culprit is???

That is now 3? with cylinders 1 or 6. Still looking for more patterns

Last edited by 12SecZ; 12-28-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:30 AM
UnderPressure

Default #3

May2003
Direct Port NX. + ~200hp
Slicks, spray off the line and a stock clutch don't mix. No window switch. Clutch slipped off the line, hit the rev limiter. N2O backfire blew #1 & #2 plug apart. Ensuing garbage caused #1 exhaust value to stick open, burned a nice wedge out of the valve.

Car still ran 12.8 @112 on 4 cylinders, some of you old timers might remember this....

Finally getting the car back together, found #2 rod bent.

New internals on order, Autronic now controlling N2O, forced induction on the way by febuary.

Btw, Max congrats on resolving your FI issues. Nice power. Good luck w/ the 11's.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:06 AM
abogada001

ATI @ 7psi w/ FMU, no in filter on blower unit and hole cut into frame for more air flow(On G35 Coupe), Borla Headers, Test Pipes, Borla True Dual, Crawford Plenum. 12:1 A/F. Ran fine until the Plenum, which was installed on the coldest day of the year(this is in Miami). Pushed(actually had some guys help) the car home with a hole in the side of the motor.

Status, bulding VQ35DE engine, This is the plan:
Block sleeved/Decked for reinforcement (thanks Ravaz for pointing me in the right direction) Already purchased a complete motor to get worked on.

New bearings, Pauter Rods, Ross 8.5:1 Pistons, Heads polished with new valves, new springs and Tomei Cams(have not decided which) To be setup for strong midrange power band. 18psi of boost on the prcharger @7800 rpm. Will upgrade cooling sys. clutch & prob the l/s as expecting approx 600hp.

Also larger injectors, larger fuel pump, removing FMU, possibly a fuel rail and either a new standalone ECU or piggyback with completely new timing map, not just a fix. This will prob be the hardest part!! (thanks DAKing)

Either I will run out of patience or Run out of Money..........LOL

Robin
Old 12-27-2003, 11:22 AM
12SecZ

Thanks man first one into the 12's right? and thank you Robin. Let's get these cars back on the road. I added two items I need to my list. Oil cooler tranny coller just from reading these post. 12.8 on 4 cylinders, yeah this engine rocks! This is the stuff I am looking for.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:27 AM
abogada001

Anyone know of an aftermarket radiator good to 800 or 1000hp that lets you keep the AC? I have a friend that knows the owner to becool (becool.com) and will prob have one made if it does not exist..........this will be a necessity for me and prob others may want to go this route as well with the added hp.

Robin
Old 12-27-2003, 02:42 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by abogada001
Anyone know of an aftermarket radiator good to 800 or 1000hp that lets you keep the AC? I have a friend that knows the owner to becool (becool.com) and will prob have one made if it does not exist..........this will be a necessity for me and prob others may want to go this route as well with the added hp.

Robin
Dwnshift @ 350evo.com will have a Fluidyne available soon that will retain the A/C .

As for the clutch problem here is how I solved mine.
http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-product...s-carbon.shtml
triple disk carbon, 1300kg

Was going to go w/ the 1600kg setup but ATS jp assured me the 1300kg would work. They have 2 Skylines making 1200hp@ wheels running the clutch for 2 seasons w/o problems.

Yes that was me the 1st to the 12's, haven't done much since.... Will unvail the new setup hopefully in febuary sometime.

William
Old 12-28-2003, 02:35 AM
mjedens

Default Blown Heads & 4 Valves Destroyed

October:

After consistently dynoing over 400 RWHP & 400 Torque (Zex Kit & all the bolt ons) for 2 months (10 trips to the strip) the A/F went extremely lean without changing anything. Blew 4 plugs & destroyed the 4 corresponding valves and both heads! Rebuilt motors internals (pistons,rods,springs,cams,heads) and "motor only" ran strong with dyno's around 300 but A/F was @ high to low 13's ! Tried to dyno with n20 again (reduced n20 jet 10 sizes & left the fuel jet alone so I would be sure & run rich) and blew the exhaust valves on #6 & #1 (corresponding plugs were destroyed) . The A/F ratio did not "richen" up at all when I reduced the n20 jet size. Any ideas what the culprit is???
Old 12-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ARC radiator has been out for awhile as well...nice unit
Old 12-28-2003, 10:35 AM
12SecZ

Updated 12-28-2003 Thank You
Old 12-28-2003, 11:59 AM
UnderPressure

Default Re: Blown Heads & 4 Valves Destroyed

Originally posted by mjedens
October:

...Tried to dyno with n20 again (reduced n20 jet 10 sizes & left the fuel jet alone so I would be sure & run rich) and blew the exhaust valves on #6 & #1 (corresponding plugs were destroyed) . The A/F ratio did not "richen" up at all when I reduced the n20 jet size. Any ideas what the culprit is???
Fuel supply is not sufficent. Where are you tapping into the fuel line for the N2O fuel supply? What size pump? Any changes to the fuel system?

Don't mean to hijack thread, just trying to help.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:27 PM
12SecZ

No problem, it's what the thread is for, helping.

One was direct port one was tapped right?

My tap was at the TB part of the plenum post MAF when I was N20, I have seen others tap into the plastic??