Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Choppa Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues

Ok I just recently purchased a 03 350z enthusiast. It's been fun having it. Last week the clutch it came with blew out on me. 1st day I had it. So I had the dealer buy new OEM clutch. The shop they recommend me installed it for $300. The flywheel was not able to be resurfaced, due to the face it has been done before, I don't have the money to buy one so they just put it back together with the new clutch.
When it was ready my dad picked it up from the shop because I was at work, n ny dad ask the mechanic if they bleed the clutch. They replied by saying it does it by it self. I just have a curious question if I have to do it manually, because its been 4days with the new clutch and I still smell it burning. I thought I was still braking it in, but now I'm just worrying. I really don't want to buy a new one so soon. Someone please let me know what it can be? Thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Break-in depends on type of clutch friction material. Figure 100 miles and any chemical residue on the clutch plate should be gone. No odor.

A warn flywheel surface may not allow the clutch plate to clamp properly. If deflection of flywheel contact surface to clutch is less than minimum spec, the friction surface is always slipping. This will cause the burning odor.

Surprised that the mechanic installed a clutch if the flywheel is out of spec.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hydraulic Master/Slave cyls. need to be manually bled initially. I simply gravity bleed it and as it is dripping. tap the slave and line to break loose any stubborn air. KEEP your reservoir FULL. Close the bleeder and pump the pedal ---Repeat---repeat---repeat. Some will give you fits. After it is drivable it will in fact bleed the last of the air out itself so the installer was 25% right.
If your smelling clutch more than 4 hours after the install...you have problems somewhere. It was careless not to have replaced the flywheel if in fact it needed replacing. After personally replacing a couple of hundred clutches I have yet to see one that was unable to be cut...but I wasn't there to see it so I cant say.
MAKE SURE ITS BLED...... If so, reach for the hip and buy a flywheel. Contact JWT and see if they sell just the flywheels. 24 LBs compared to 48.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The flywheel was not able to be resurfaced, due to the face it has been done before
Am I right that the OEM flywheel cannot be resurfaced ?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JCat
Am I right that the OEM flywheel cannot be resurfaced ?
The Z runs a Dual Mass Flywheel as do some other vehicles such as Ford Diesel Trucks. They tend to be troublesome and I have always replaced them with Standard Flywheels. I called my Clutch Place that I have dealt with for over 20 yrs and was told they seldom bother turning them and do as I do...Replace them with a Standard Unit.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If they did not take the lines off the slave there would ne no reason to have to bleed it.

If it is burning and smells there are only a few things that can cause it

1 Driver error, Since the first clutch blew out the first day I am assuming this may be the issue.

2 the clutch is adjusted improperly and is slipping all the time causing it to burn up and smell.

3 something is wrong other than above two items. Take back and ask the dealer why it smells.