Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z

DavisNet CarChip E/X Review

Manufacturer: www.davisnet.com
cost: $179 MSRP (at davisnet.com) or as low as $129 elsewhere

OVERVIEW
The DavisNet CarChip EX is a datalogger for modern cars that are OBDII compliant (96 or newer). This includes the Nissan 350Z which we all love. Essentially, the CarChip connects to your cars diagnostic port and remains there. While driving, it logs up to 300 hours of data. When it is later unplugged and hooked up to your computer, you can view the information recorded in tables, plots, and overviews on your computer. For those familiar with AutoTap, this is a very similar product.

AUTOTAP vs. CARCHIP
Some of you are very familiar with AutoTap and love it apparently. I have never used it, so I will not comment on which is better. However, there is one important difference between the CarChip setup and the AutoTap on. AutoTap requires that you have a PDA or laptop connected to the car while driving. This means batteries to feed and a PDA/laptop to secure while racing. For many, this is not practical. The CarChip DOES NOT require a laptop or PDA while driving. You simply plug the chip into the port on the car and drive (port is located under the hood latch release on the 350Z, not near the ECU). That is all you need. For this reason, I chose the CarChip over the AutoTap.

PRODUCT CONTENTS (see first image below)
The product comes in a small plastic package with the chip, a software CD, a power cord, and a serial data cable. Pretty simple.

CONNECTING TO YOUR COMPUTER (see other images below)
The CarChip connects to your computer through a serial port. Make sure you have one as this does not use USB. The reason for serial over USB is for cost, size, and USB is not needed. All you are transferring is text data. Once the data cable is hooked to the computer, hook up the power cable to the wall socket AND the serial cable. This is how the chip gets power for data transfer. Next, simply hook up the data cable to the small port on the side of the chip.

SOFTWARE INSTALLATION
I won't go into software requirements or any other stuff like that. You can find all of that information at www.DavisNet.com. The software installation is quick and painless. You can even install it under a "Power User" account on Windows XP. You do not need to be an admin.

WHAT IS RECORDED
The CarChip can record the following information about the 350Z:[list=1][*]Vehicle speed (see graph below)[*]Engine speed (see graph below)[*]Coolant temp (not yet tested)[*]Engine load (not yet tested)[*]Intake manifold pressure (does not work on 350Z)[*]Airflow rate (not yet tested)[*]Intake air temperature (see graph below)[*]Timing advance (see graph below)[*]Fuel pressure (does not work on 350Z)[*]Fuel system status (not yet tested)[*]Short term fuel trim (B1) (not yet tested)[*]Short term fuel trim (B2) (not yet tested)[*]Long term fuel trim (B1) (not yet tested)[*]Long term fuel trim (B2) (not yet tested)[*]O2 sensor voltage (many options) (not yet tested)[*]Battery voltage (not yet tested)[/list=1]

PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR DATA IMAGES AND FURTHER DISCUSSION

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:35 AM
KJY9

How 'bout a link?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:36 AM
peptidbond

Product contents:
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_all.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:38 AM
peptidbond

Hey KJ, thanks for the interruption.

Continuing, chip front: note the nice little handle to remove the chip.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_front.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
peptidbond

Rear of the chip with attached data cable:
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_back.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
peptidbond

Power cord connected to serial cable head:
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_cables.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
peptidbond

DATA GRAPHS:
By default, the CarChip is set to record speed, but you can add to this up to 4 other variables from the list above. Here, I have chosen speed, RPM, throttle position, timing advance, and intake temperature. As you can see, the data can be viewed as an overview, separate graphs, or a table. The data cannot be viewed on one graph unfortunately.

Data overview:
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_report.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 09:44 AM
peptidbond

SPEED TABLE
Here we have a graph of speed over time. This particular data block shows me going to Wendy's for lunch and then taking a cruise on the highway. While driving, I tried to drive at different speeds in different gears so that I could get as much timing information as possible.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 AM
peptidbond

whoops
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_plot_sp.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:46 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by peptidbond
Hey KJ, thanks for the interruption.

Sorry...didn't know you were still going...one question when you get a chance...can you get air/fuel ratio out of that?
I just spoke with the tech @ Davis and he didn't seem to know the answer (not too comforting). He said you could view fuel trim??

Thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 09:47 AM
peptidbond

RPM
Here you can see the RPM graph. One thing to note is that the CarChip only records every 5 seconds at the minimum. Because this resolution is relatively high, the chip may miss certain quick events. For example, that one large spike below actually went higher but it was missed because it happened between recording times.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_plot_rp.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 09:50 AM
peptidbond

THROTTLE POSITION:
Nothing much to see hear. Again, only records every 5 seconds. However, one thing to note is that it only shows my throttle opening to 85% when I floor it. This is something that has been posted by others elsewhere. Just more confirmation.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_plot_tp.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 09:53 AM
peptidbond

TIMING ADVANCE
This is one of the major reasons I wanted this product. I wanted to see what kind of timing advance was going on inside the engine. Unfortunately, because the recording resolution is rather low, you do not get an instananeous glimpse. Instead, it misses some things. For example, a 0-60 run would have 2 recording points at best. A 5th gear dyno pull might have just 4 or so. This is obviously a problem. However, if you cruise at a fixed RPM for so long you will get a good idea of the timing (notice the platueas in the graph). However, recording while the ECU is in closed loop (WOT) is impossible due to the speed you would reach before having enough data points.

By the way, 40 degrees of timing advance while cruising at 70mph?!?!
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_plot_ta.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:57 AM
peptidbond

INTAKE TEMP
Now this is helpful for all those that have a CAI. Not only can you measure the intake temp, but also the intake charge (lbs./sec.). With this information, you can test a CAI versus ram air versus short ram. Speaking of which, I plan to do a INJEN CAI vs. short ram review with the help of this chip soon.

This graph shows my intake temp to be about 40 on a 34 degree day. If you compare it to the speed, RPM, and throttle graphs above, you can see that the temp drops a couple degrees when I floor it.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_trip_plot_it.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
peptidbond

OTHER SOFTWARE FEATURES (see images below)
I am not going to discuss all the features of the software package, but it is pretty nice. Look at the images below to get an idea of what you can do. The images show the main menus for the software.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_menu_s.jpg  

Old 12-30-2003, 10:02 AM
peptidbond

more
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_menu_cc.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:03 AM
peptidbond

last one
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z-carchip_review_menu_v.jpg  

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-30-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:05 AM
peptidbond

CONCLUSION
For $130, this is a good product. For performance information, the recording resolution could be better. For busting that "joy driving" valet, this should about cover it. The software gives you great information and it is worth the money. Consider using this for true tuning? You might want to consider something else.

Take care and I am done. Post your questions.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 AM
peptidbond

Originally posted by KJY9
Sorry...didn't know you were still going...one question when you get a chance...can you get air/fuel ratio out of that?
I just spoke with the tech @ Davis and he didn't seem to know the answer (not too comforting). He said you could view fuel trim??

Thanks
No, I would not say that A/F could be recorded or calculated with any accuracy. Yes, intake charge and fuel trim can be recorded and A/F calculated, but not with any accuracy. I would really suggest a true wideband O2 setup for this.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks for the review. I've been concidering these for my 5 parts trucks to keep an eye on my drivers. Now I know I need these!!

Quick Reply: REVIEW: DavisNet CarChip E/X on 350Z