Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ECU Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Darkknight916

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ECU Question

After searching these threads and doing the google bit, i cant find an answer to: Can i use an automatic ECU (of the same year, and code "PC") in my 04 350z touring?

The direction i've been given is to source an ECU of the same year and configuration- O2 sensor configuration (wide vs. narrow) btw, didn't know they had wideband O2 that come stock on the Z, transmission and code on the ECU-my ECU is PC MEC31-512-A1 3728.

What do those numbers even mean? Is it a serial number? I've seen the courtesy nissan OEM parts site and the ECU's on eBay... i'm trying to figure out which one i can successfully use, knowing any ECU i find will have to be reprogrammed by a dealer or vendor with that capability. (i think that has to do with the NATS?) I do NOT have a cipher or any dataport gear to tell the code IN the ECU.

when the key is in the ACC position, radiator fans=high speed and the fuel pump doesn't prime. All other equipment functions as expected and the car cranks... (all equipment that i can monitor by trying to start the car)

help would be awesome-i'm sending my stock ECU to the guys at Z1 motorsports in Georgia so they can take a look at it. John at Z1 was VERY helpful and i hope it results in a fix so i don't have to go through sourcing a replacment ECU... but in case i do, anyone have any help with the ECU numbers or where i can get a replacement ECU for a 2004 Touring edition 350z 6MT?

tried
Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 AM
Exemption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i know an auto trans ecu wont work a mf ecu. For a replacement look on craigslist. Or go to nissan ($500) thats the only knowledge i cam gi e
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's from the same model year and same sensor configuration it can work but you have to get it reflashed to a 6MT ROM via Uprev ($300+ license). Probably better off finding the correct ECU.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Darkknight916

Thanks guys, i appreciate the info. This is proving to be a PITA.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Darkknight916

Update, got a 04 MT ECU from a parts car that ended up not working. The dealer thinks that it is an issue with the CAN bus now. This is Bull$#iT. If i can't find a competent person to help fix this (I am incompetent when it comes to the inner workings of the Electronics of this car) i may just go to the ZFever "unlocked" ecu that gets rid of the IPDM, BCM and ABSM.

Anyone have any help?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by Darkknight916
After searching these threads and doing the google bit, i cant find an answer to: Can i use an automatic ECU (of the same year, and code "PC") in my 04 350z touring?

The direction i've been given is to source an ECU of the same year and configuration- O2 sensor configuration (wide vs. narrow) btw, didn't know they had wideband O2 that come stock on the Z, transmission and code on the ECU-my ECU is PC MEC31-512-A1 3728.

What do those numbers even mean? Is it a serial number? I've seen the courtesy nissan OEM parts site and the ECU's on eBay... i'm trying to figure out which one i can successfully use, knowing any ECU i find will have to be reprogrammed by a dealer or vendor with that capability. (i think that has to do with the NATS?) I do NOT have a cipher or any dataport gear to tell the code IN the ECU.

when the key is in the ACC position, radiator fans=high speed and the fuel pump doesn't prime. All other equipment functions as expected and the car cranks... (all equipment that i can monitor by trying to start the car)

help would be awesome-i'm sending my stock ECU to the guys at Z1 motorsports in Georgia so they can take a look at it. John at Z1 was VERY helpful and i hope it results in a fix so i don't have to go through sourcing a replacment ECU... but in case i do, anyone have any help with the ECU numbers or where i can get a replacement ECU for a 2004 Touring edition 350z 6MT?

tried
In the end your not going to end up saving much if you just go order it from nissan and have it programmed....500 from nissan then 100 to program the NATS It will save alot of headache
Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 AM
SA Z-boi

When my ecu fried I had the same problem. I have a 03 manuel 350z and my ecu also said PC. The first ecu I bought came off a 03 manuel 350z so I thought it would be alright. The ecu didnt have PC on it I believe it said CE. I had nissan reprogram the ecu and the car started. Driving it home it threw up a ton of codes and sounded like it was back firing. It wouldnt accelerate normal and seemed sluggish off the line. Then it would randomly just kick into accerleration. I searched the forum and found someone with a ecu out of a 03 manuel 350z that had PC on the ecu. Went back to nissan had them reprogram this ecu and everything worked perfectly. I dont believe a auto ecu with work on a manuel car but if it does Im sure it wont be 100%. Also if you need any extra keys made for the z now would be the time to do it. Nissan charged me like 6 bucks to cut a key (I had already bought one off ebay) and didnt charge me to reprogram it to the ecu because they were already reprogramming the ecu to my vehicle.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the denominations on the serial code have to match for it to work. There is some interchangeability from years and options on cars but i'm pretty sure it has to have the same trans type since the ecu has different parameters for the auto ecu. This is why they are having issues with the new standalone haltech and the auto cars. The ecu controls other things that the manual doesn't.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Darkknight916

Originally Posted by Exemption
In the end your not going to end up saving much if you just go order it from nissan and have it programmed....500 from nissan then 100 to program the NATS It will save alot of headache
Nissan in Albany quoted me $900 for the ECU and $100 to flash it. They've trouble shot it with the original factory ECU and the Ebay one i sourced (from a manual 04-neither worked)

Originally Posted by SA Z-boi
...I have a 03 manuel 350z and my ecu also said PC. The first ecu I bought came off a 03 manuel 350z so I thought it would be alright. The ecu didnt have PC on it I believe it said CE. I searched the forum and found someone with a ecu out of a 03 manuel 350z that had PC on the ecu... Went back to nissan had them reprogram this ecu and everything worked perfectly...
I've been looking for one with the prefix PC from a manual for about 2-3 months now, The first one i found was CX MEC61-510 D1 4818, it wouldn't communicate with anything else in the car but the tech could see all the modules. (so he said it was a bad ECU). I sent it back to the guy i bought it from and found a different one R4 MEC 35-329 C2 3Y06 and just waiting on it to get here... I'm hoping that the Prefix isn't the case, although i'm beginning to think it does based on what you guys are tellin me.

Originally Posted by binder
the denominations on the serial code have to match for it to work. There is some interchangeability from years and options on cars but i'm pretty sure it has to have the same trans type since the ecu has different parameters for the auto ecu. This is why they are having issues with the new standalone haltech and the auto cars. The ecu controls other things that the manual doesn't.
Thanks everyone for the help, i'll update this as soon as i get the car running. If the newest ECU doesn't work, i'll see if i can't source a PC prefixed ECU from an 04 manual.

thanks again guys