Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rear diff bushing install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear diff bushing install?

I've read the sticky, i'm going to be using it, thanks to the OP on that.

But i'm installing Whiteline bushings for this job, i wanted to know if there was still merit in freezing the poly bushing prior to installation like with the solid alu one?

I can't find anyone who's done the job with anything other than the solid bushings, kind of understandable as the Whitelines have only been out since last December :/
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freeze the bushings and use a lot of lube. Freezing them won't hurt, even if it doesn't help.

I've only done solid diff bushings, but I'd imagine that poly will shrink a little just like any other material. Lots of lube is key. Also, take your time and make sure the bushings are going in straight. The 1st time I did subframe bushings, I got a bushing kind of cocked at an angle. Took me a long time to fix that. Oh, and when reinstalling the subframe, be very cautious about getting it in straight. I was trying to do the job by myself with no floor jack, and got the subframe like 3° off, and it got wedged in there. Took me probably 40 minutes to get it sorted out and back on track.

Good luck! Take your time, be patient, and you'll have no problems.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks for the tips, i appreciate the insight as you've already done this, every little helps when the project is a 'hack' based on not being a service item by Nissan.

I'll be using the no subframe drop method based on the posting in the sticky, so hopefully that will help a little.

I've seen people cut out the 'ear' section inserts, i don't know if i need to remove those with the Whitelines, hopefully the instructions will tell me if i do or not.
I've also seen a large socket being used to hammer these out intact, so i might try that.

Also go some Kroil on order, if you google for it, use the sponsored link and you'll get a page that gives an awesome offer. Two King size cans shipped for something like $18. You can't get a small can shipped for less than $20!!

Plan is just the rear diff and front ear bushings for the time being.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
JPT0117

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have attempted the poly energy bushing and oh my god what a pain! I was able to force it in after a very long time but still wasn't happy with the outcome so I cut that one out and went solid. I would suggest you go solid. I didn't notice a different ride personally.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Was that the energy suspension one?

I didn't like the look of that, nor did i like the fact you re-use part of the old bushing with it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Whoops, I was thinking subframe bushings with my last post... Although, the advice on making sure you get the bushing in straight still applies.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, i'm guessing the biggest problem will be extracting the old one.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM
b18ccivics

I have not done poly bushing on the back of a 350, but i have done hundreds on other suspension components on z's and other cars. I would not freeze them, I would think it would make them kind of brittle. Just lube them good and press them in.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Interesting, hadn't thought of that, i guess i can measure the diameter when i get it and see how it compares.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of solid and whitelines sitting in my basement. I was too shy to pull the trigger on solids for fear of whine/noise so I just picked up some whitelines. Freezing is for metal; you want the poly to stay soft so you can squeeze them in.

Goona try the whitelines out... if I like them I'll have a set of solids for sale shortly.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Sounds good, when are you going to fit them? would love your experience and input on the process.