Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Our 4.0L engine swap is here

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
milner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alls i am saying is that i think the rb26 is a good idea. the weight cant throw the car off any if much. look at the skyline that nissan put a vq in. did that throw the car off? and the parts for the rb26 are very easy to get .

artic fury
i am aware of the disscusions about the awaps. these discussions are what lead me tho look around for the rb26 and all that would be involved with doing a swap. after checking a few skyline forums and some pm's between vendors and so forth i found that swapping the vq for a proven high, high horse power handling motor is much better then some of the alternitives. aka blowen motor after spending 6k plus on a supercharger. and remember the rb26dett comes with twin turbos and remove one chip and you have 350 whp stock.

just how i feel, not trying to bash.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 AM
milner

oh yeah. motorwrex sells skylines with the rb26dett that have 1000 hp!!!!!!!!!! oh and get this. there street legal. oh whats that they pass emissions too. what in california. and amazingly they have any and all replacment parts the motor needs.

the only reason that motor is not in mass production anymore is cause of the new emission laws in japan, other then that rb26dett is and will be nissans motor they chose to put in there own super car. wich tells me alot about what nissan thinks of that motor, and why there are a buttttt load of upgrades for it.

Last edited by milner; 01-07-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:39 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

milner,

In that first reply to you, I was not suggesting that either swap would be bad, simply that they had been discussed elsewhere on the forum also. If you read those threads, you will find that I have actually been a proponent of doing different things with this car.

Now, if you want to compare feasibility and costs of the VQ40 swap or hybrid vs. the RB26 swap, I can't agree with you there. The RB26 swap overall will be substantially more expensive due to the custom mounting pieces, not to mention all the unknowns about ECU and ATTESA controller.

Your point regarding the Motorex Skylines don't make the argument for this comparison. I feel pretty confident that you could build a VQ40 hybrid that would make upwards of 800whp for less than you would a RB26 swap that made the same amount of power. Keep in mind, most of those parts for upgrading the RB have to come from Japan: read - more expensive. Ask Sean Morris (aka tyndago) over on the Skylines Downunder forums about the price of these parts.

In a cost no object scenario, the RB30 w/ AWD driveline would be my choice

BigBadBuford,

I agree. This swap/hybrid would be best for those already building the motor up for FI or hi-comp NA.

D
Old 01-07-2004, 09:07 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Originally posted by BigTwin
BigTwin,

I very seriously doubt Nissan is going to sell an entire short block for less than a subset of its parts. Keep in mind a VQ35 from Nissan is in excess of $6k IIRC.

You're using the term "short block" but you keep referring to the entire engine, i.e. the "long block"
Actually, I used the long block pricing to give an idea of the range of cost you are talking about because I had not seen the price of short block listed on this site before. I guess maybe I should have clarified that I knew the difference and was using the price as reference starting point.

Following that cost discussion further, based on the numbers posted by ZedZed the cost of the crankshaft, piston and rods from a VQ40 will probably be in the range of $1600. Assuming the same similarity in price of the short blocks, a VQ40 short block will cost ~$3500. That's nearly $2000 different. For that difference one may even be able to do more along the lines of my second option I listed earlier. I just don't see where the full swap adds up to being the better of the two or three choices.

D
Old 01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
PoorCollegeKid

Originally posted by spazpilot
articfury:

I understand what you are saying, but in my opinion bigger is not better. Unless you are planning on only racing straight line distance(1/4 mile at a time), an engine swap either way you go rb26 or vq40 will throw our cars out of balance.
If the VQ40 is just a stroked and bored version of the VQ35, wouldn't it actually weigh slightly less than the VQ35 (due to the metal lost when the bore was increased) if all the internals weigh approximately the same? If the blocks truly are the same, and all evidence points toward this being so, the VQ40's weight should be very close to the VQ35's weight, if not a little under, I would think. If this is the case, then I don't see any reason why it would not be a good idea to swap these engines or hybridize them somehow if the stock 6600 redline can at least be maintained, if not increased. The added torque down low will be felt and appreciated and the larger displacement will most definitely spool turbos up faster. The only real downside to this that I can see is that the thinner cylinder walls may not be able to withstand as much boost if you're thinking about going FI. I really can't say for sure, though, because I don't know how much has been shaved off when it was bored.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:44 AM
FLY BY Z

They shave off thousandths of an inch. The weight savings can be measured in grams. It is not the valvetrain or camshaft they are using that keeps the RPM potantial lower. It is the nature of having a stoked motor. The motor will always have less RPM potential than the vq35, but not to say that it won't have enough potential to get to 7K. That I cannot say. None of us can really.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:13 AM
spazpilot

If the vq40 is only a stroked version of ours. I would then go out and make a stroker kit out of the factory vq35 with much better internal parts then what the vq40 comes with. So then again the swap would be useless. If your going to swap an engine drop a massive ls1 in there and then make serious power. I wouldn't do that either but I can see a lot of people have an itch for engine swaps.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 AM
spazpilot

Originally posted by milner
oh yeah. motorwrex sells skylines with the rb26dett that have 1000 hp!!!!!!!!!! oh and get this. there street legal. oh whats that they pass emissions too. what in california. and amazingly they have any and all replacment parts the motor needs.

A skyline motor in a skyline will pass emissions. A skyline motor in a 350z will not pass emmisions. Motor swaps do not pass emissions!!!!!!!!!! If it can't in Texas, I can assure you it can't in California.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
350zdanny

Spaz-

That's a good point. You could definitely throw the wool over an inspector's eyes with a vq40 hybrid, but definitely not with a skyline. Unless you live in Jersey. "Emissions" and "inspections" are something of a formality here if you know the right people.

It's my honest opinion that this hybrid doesn't make enough sense. When you make a B20 hybrid vtec you're increasing the displacement my 25% over the B16. This increase in displacement is only 14%. Someone mentioned a stroker kit for the Z that allows it to displace 3.8 liters. This option is much better in my opinion, simply because the internals are most likely of higher quality than Nissan OEM. In addition, the difference in displacement between the 3.8 and 4.0 liter engines is only 5%. I'm no expert on this topic by any stretch of the imagination, but does that increase in displacement justify the costs?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
milner

you are probably right on the inspection part but i worked for inspection in jersey for two years, right when parsons took over. we only checked the motor when the car was older and did not have a sticker on the inside of the door for use to scan and get all the info. i doubt an inspector would even notice the change cause it says nissan on the valve cover. we opened the hoods and made sure nothing was on fire or missing such as oil cap, air filter. but you can always bring it to a private inspection. well that is neither here nor there cause i live in jersey and some people live in other states that are tuff, but jersey is pretty tuff too with the new inspection system wich was taken from cali.

what am i talking about i cant even afford exhaust.lol
Old 01-09-2004, 07:32 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Until someone gets the specs for the new con rods and pistons we can't figure out what the new stroke/rod ratio is. Does anyone know what it is on the VQ35? Then we could have a little more info to discuss rev limit.

As for the 3.8 stroker kit, AFAIK Jun hasn't officially released their kit. I seem to remember someone else maybe having one but not sure. It will be interesting to see what just using the crank and rods(OE or forged) from the VQ40 give in displacement. I would think it would be pretty close to the 3.8l displacement.

D
Old 01-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Drag Limited

how is the bore to stroke ratio?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
new2nismo

Default thinking about this swap

hey guys this thread is very interesting, and it gave me a crazy idea.. i have an 03 maxima nd i wanna try to make power with stock parts from another vq35 motor or vq40... i wanna kno if i use vq35hr pistons and vq40 rods with the hr pistonts flycut to 0.010 for piston to head clearance nd use hr cams in my original vq35 block as well as hr valves nd springs nd retainers, with a decent tune would i mak good power? please give me ur opinions plzzz...
Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither HR or Rev-up cams will work in a DE I doubt any of the other parts are even compatible and fly cutting would be for valve clearance not head clearance and 4.0L rods would be the wrong length I think the stroke length is almost 10mm different. By the time you got new bearings, gaskets, machine work and assembly you would have a lot of time and money into a junk yard build that wouldn't make much more than another20-30whp over stock.

Nice bump on a 7 year old thread.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 12-16-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I think this is one of the best ideas anyone has had in a while! Do it!!
You might need a grounding kit and platinum tip plugs to max out around 363-ish.
Refer to other thread on this topic.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

^ What? No flux capacitor?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
04dg35

lol
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go with a 200 shot of NAWZZZ
Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Neither HR or Rev-up cams will work in a DE I doubt any of the other parts are even compatible and fly cutting would be for valve clearance not head clearance and 4.0L rods would be the wrong length I think the stroke length is almost 10mm different. By the time you got new bearings, gaskets, machine work and assembly you would have a lot of time and money into a junk yard build that wouldn't make much more than another20-30whp over stock.

Nice bump on a 7 year old thread.
I know this thread is old as fock, but I wanted to point out that HR and Rev Up cams work in DE's at least someone I know (member on here) used one or the other (OEM) in his built motor...
Also on the maxima forums they claim the oem ones will drop in.

Not sure what would necessary for the swap but wanted to set that straight. The HR cams would be better for an NA build because they have slightly more overlap, but both cams have 1mm more lift and on both intake and exhaust have 8deg (or 10 depending on which it is intake or exhaust) more timing.

That's for the sake of anyone searching around (like they should!!!)
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I know this thread is old as fock, but I wanted to point out that HR and Rev Up cams work in DE's at least someone I know (member on here) used one or the other (OEM) in his built motor...
Also on the maxima forums they claim the oem ones will drop in.

Not sure what would necessary for the swap but wanted to set that straight. The HR cams would be better for an NA build because they have slightly more overlap, but both cams have 1mm more lift and on both intake and exhaust have 8deg (or 10 depending on which it is intake or exhaust) more timing.

That's for the sake of anyone searching around (like they should!!!)

Could the HR cams be used as a stand alone in the De's? I assume torque would be lost? Any net hp gain?

Quick Reply: Our 4.0L engine swap is here