Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stock Air Box with Kinetix SSV manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
350zPharmDstudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Air Box with Kinetix SSV manifold.

Ok, I'm about to drive myself mad. I have scoured the threads for intake recommendations.

I have these mods on my '03 Touring:
- Stock air box w/ K&N drop in
- CXRacing TD exhaust
- Kinetix SSV manifold

My question is with this set up should I even worry about the damn air intake, I read that 06 is better for the velocity stack, but that is what my manifold does; it is actually cool to the touch after driving the car hard and popping the hood and grabbing that beach! I have found a Volant intake that is a stock box like setup that contains a cone filter... No one seems to have this thing, just looking for opinions or someone out there in the shadows that actually has one. I am wondering that with my manifold an air intake may just be pointless.

Disclaimer: I know there are some real cocky Z drivers out there who's only satisfaction in life is tormenting others, I guarantee I'm not stupid; I am a Pharm.D. Student and I am well educated. I also have a garage with over 100,000 dollars worth of snap-on, matco, etc. tools at my disposal and do all my car work on my own. I'm only starting a new thread because I feel I have a unique set up that I can't seem to piece together by examining multiple threads.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a unique setup that barely makes more power than stock. What's your tuning solution?

Throwing another pipe or cone filter on it isn't going to do anything if those are your only mods. Maybe increase sound.

Disclaimer - people that make disclaimers about income, education, tool worth, etc are usually tools themselves. How about some pics of a $100k garage setup to prove otherwise?

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 05-25-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

your setup is unique because you spent 700+ on a intake when a much cheaper spacer would do better for you...... and leave you money for other mods. if you have so much cash why did you get a cheap *** knock off exhaust? you obviously need to read more and plan things a little before you just start buying random *** parts.............thats how you waste money then ***** about it later.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM
350zPharmDstudd

It's my dads garage, didn't think ownership of it really mattered I have access to it whenever. The whole point was I do the work myself and do it as right as feasible. Not trying to be a tool, sorry if that was your impression, just trying to detour those who are not helpful to others on these forums from being asses. I went with the knock off because it is no different than the HKS for what I could find just the metal qulity is a little less up to parr. I don't really have money yet; I'll be graduating pharmacy school in a year... At that time I will have lots of money, that is no lie. I worked hard to get where I am and proud. I'm actually a really nice guy my whole gigg in life is to help others hence the profession. Back to the question; this was not about my life journey. I can really feel a difference just from the set up I have I really want to Dyno my car, but I'm still wanting to inquire if an intake before I go about this and eventually reflashing my ECU. I do plan to FI my car later down the road, but for now just staying within my means.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM
350zPharmDstudd

Originally Posted by 350zFreak05
"i dont kno about all that bec. listen to this me and my bud both have base modle 05 350z's I bought the authentic HKS exhuast and he bought the replica they both sound the same they both look the same and we both made the same power on the dyno but i spent $1200 and he spent $450 who do you think got the better deal tell you the trust i would rather have that $750 in my pocket then have HKS imprinted on my exhaust"
Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the point i was making was you went with a knock off exhaust but then bought the second most expensive off the shelf intake manifold. a spacer would have done you more good everyone is saying that manifold dosnt really do anything unless your fi(i got it but thats because it makes it easier for my direct port meth vs a cosworth.) you wont notice anything really without a tune if your strapped for cash(im probably going to get hate for this.) go to autozone and rent the spectre kit. it is a bunch of plastic pieces so when you take it back you can build your own with there stuff. not nearly as good as the name brand stuff but not nearly as expensive either and will still get the intake outside the engine compartment into cooler air(if you take out the stock air box and route the filter through that hole to under the bumper that is.)

plan for everything ahead of time, if the car is going to be NA for now plan for na not fi you will be more happy and since you cant predict the future you may never end up going fi

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-25-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too much thinking for 5whp
Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it matter, 350z's are slow.