Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Not smooth shifting, normal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 AM
hookah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not smooth shifting, normal or not?

Hey guys... Me again...
I did some search on this site here and google, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I don't have too much experience on manual cars. I learned manual on a corolla so I don't know if what I am experiencing is normal. I used to think that the Z had a hard clutch but I am very comfortable with that now. But now I am experiencing something else which I don't know if it is normal or not.

I got my car like 500 miles ago, which now has like 73,700 miles.
When shifting gears from one gear to another gear (doesn't matter which gear) it kind of feels like something is not letting it shift smoothly. It doesn't make a noise or anything like the tranny grind or w/e. It just feels like...I have to give it an extra push. On the corolla I could shift it from one gear to another with my pinky if I wanted to without a hassle.. So I am just wondering if this is one of those things that sporty cars do.

I am guessing I just need a new clutch... Could be as simple as that or it might be normal...

What does it feel like when you need a new clutch? Does this sound like it might need a new one? Oh and it doesn't really bother me and its not hard to shift or anything, but I just feel a little something that's all.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it as always.

Edit: Resistance is the word im looking for... It finally came to me lol. I feel a little resistance when shifting...

Last edited by hookah; 06-04-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Difference between a real transmission and what you had in the corolla. These cars have a very heavy transmission, takes a lot of effort to shift. Normal.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 AM
hookah

I saw so many changes when going from toyota to the Z and found out they were all normal. I honestly love the hard clutch and the heavier steering wheel and many others things. It makes it feel like I am more connected to the car. Love the feeling...

Anyways yeah I just wanted to know if it is normal so that if it isn't normal I could fix it before things got worse

And I heard the resistance feel when shifting could be because of a worn clutch but wasn't sure. I am learning a lot about cars after the switch to the Z Thanks to you guys lol.

Last edited by hookah; 06-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 AM
BrickyardZ2003

Enjoy the car The first answer was totally right. These cars are bumpy, noisy, rattly, but that's why the Z fans love em so much. It's a great car/driver relationship, far from driving around in a Corolla!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very difficult to troubleshoot a transmission on the internet.

The 350Z transmission is best described as notchy. Experienced members know what this means. New 350Z drivers describe shifting as a little resistance. Before taking the car to Nissan to get it fixed, let an experienced 350Z owner drive your car.

Last edited by davidv; 06-04-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ this

In absence of grinding (which would be syncros), the most likely culprit could be alignment of the shifter linkage. Are you on the original clutch?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I can shift my Juke with one finger, the Z , not so much.

No grind, no slip, the clutch is good.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
hookah

I do not know if it is the original clutch or not, but there is a 370z meeting some sundays around here. I am sure one of them must have driven a 350z before. I will get one of them to check it out. Doesn't look like there is one this sunday though.

I am beginning to think its normal. Clutch seems to be fine and there is so grinding sounds or w/e. Just the notchy feeling, which doesn't bother me as long as its normal.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

g35/350z transmission is chunky, notchy, and full of resistance. New fluid makes a big difference along with a weighted shift ****. I love my OEM **** and the TWM m1 abrams. What you are probably experiencing is normal if you are describing the effort to change gears on a 350z versus a corolla. 350z will be chunky and full of resistance and corolla will just drop into gear like butter. You are probably feeling the difference between a shift linkage and direct linkage. FWD versus RWD and having the shifter connected to the tranny direct versus a cable.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
The 350Z transmission is best described as notchy.

couldnt have described it any better
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
hookah

Yeah thanks a lot guys. I guess it's normal. If it wasn't I'm sure I would have either heard grinding or difficulty putting it into gears, slipping and it would have probably been something annoying lol. So far it was nothing but fun!

I don't know when the last owner did a tranny flush. I guess I'll do it tomorrow along with an oil change. The damn shop quoted me like $200 to replace my spark plugs (not including the cost of the plugs) so I guess ima do that on my own if other shops give similar prices (I know it takes a good amount of time to change them). I don't know when that was done either. I got a CAI so I dont need to change the filter... So I am doing pretty good so far maintaining it I guess. I just got it the other week.

Thankfully no issues with the car as far as I can see. Just some minor scratches which is normal for an 03 but I am going to take care of that as soon as I find a nice way of doing it. Im just saving for some wheels for now

Oh and I am trying to decide between the evo-r and the forged performance *****... I might be going with the forged performance just because I feel like the color on the evo-r might look tacky after a while.

Tranny flush and a new **** should make the manual experience more fun I guess lol. I hear the weighted **** is a big plus.

Thanks again to all. I appreciate it!

Edit: After driving the Z for over a week, I drove my fathers corolla again... The results were shocking.... I felt like I was sitting in a bus cause of the height and I also thought I broke the clucth pedal from pressing on it so hard after getting used to the Z's clutch. Lets not forget to mention that the car felt like a toy because how much easier the corolla was... Almost felt like an automatic lol. What can I say, I love my Z

Last edited by hookah; 06-04-2012 at 07:44 PM.