Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

TWM Short Shifter Review! (And pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:59 AM
TheWan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWM Short Shifter Review! (And pictures)

Reason for buying and installation: Welp... After reading about dozen of reviews (since not many reviews are up...) I decided I'd just get it either way and give it my review... I bought the V1 used from a fellow member, which was a terrible mistake since the first version had issue of literally falling apart as you shift. (seriously. It just broke in half after few miles of driving.) upon calling the TWM, they told me that it was a common issue, and they fix it free for the ORIGINAL purchaser... However, since I bought it second hand, they fixed it for 50 bucks plus shipping to send it to them. Rather then "fixing" them, they sent me a brand new kit. (because the V2 is NOTHING like V1...) So that was very nice of them.
Their customer service is pretty fantastic btw.

I bought the adaptor plastic cup thingy since my original one broke when I tried removing them...

As you can see, the short shifter has longer lower section and shorter top section... I think they should've just left the top section as stock height since both combined is the reason why some people experience difficulty shifting. I'll get to how I got rid of that later...

Excuse my potato of a camera

upon installation, I realized that the rubber sleeve did fit the V1 nicely, but does not fit the V2... so I just forced it in much as I can, and left it there..

Impression: Pretty damn short shifts... seriously... I didn't think they could improve upon the stock shifter...

Since I had an aftermarket shift ****, the **** sit ridiculously low on the center. It still looked a bit silly to me... it looked like those center mount control thing for the GPS on luxury vehicles...

Also, the shortness caused bit of difficulty shifting as many people described. Especially when shifting down to second, it required a lot of force. That was with 500 gram shift **** (As in 3x stock shifter weight to improve ease of shifting) so I can see why people complained with their stock shifter, lighter ****, etc. Notchyness wasn't felt as others did (TWM explained to them that they just tightened the bolt too much on the connection to the transmission.) But I just didn't like how low it was.

After some change with washer and bolts.

Tada! My solution. Shifter extender! I didn't want it stabbing me in the eye everytime I shifted to 2nd gear, or punching my passenger on 6th, I went with 2 inch extension (and glad I did). With the weighed shift ****, it is SOOOOOO easy to shift know... and since the lower section is longer, unlike the "Nismo" short shifter which would lose its ability when mated with shifter extender (it works by only shortening the top section of the shifter I believe), even with extension the travel is shorter than stock. When I had the extender with stock shifter, it traveled too long and felt like I was driving a civic... But with TWM you get the benefit of stock short shifting with added comfort of shifter extender!

NOW! If you DO NOT like the feel of shifter extender, you shouldn't bother getting ANY short shifter, since for daily driving or track, the difficulty shifting could potentially bother you.

HOWEVER, I don't see why you wouldn't like it... it feels amazing with the extender, it becomes even more convenient for daily driving, and A LOT more convenient at the track. Couple inch toward steering wheel makes TONS of difference in feel.

Shifter extender does NOT improve your shifting time, performance, whatever. So don't argue about it. In my opinion, all of the mods here are feel mod. As in it won't do much for your track time, but you'll have hell of a lot more fun doing it. I am going to buy lighter shift **** now since now the shifting became too easy... and lost a lot of its feel as it travel due to additional leverage.

Do I regret this mod? No. Do I think I feel that way since I already bought it? Maybe. But I know that even if somebody offered me the retail price for my used shifter, I wouldn't sell it. I love the way it feels and how precise it is. There is definitely less play/wobble compare to stock ****. There is NO rattling like the B&M, and it feels fantastic every time you shift.

Other mods:
Stillen Intake: Fantastic
Motordyne Plenum Spacer: Fantastic
Resonated Test Pipes: Fantastic
Borla TD Exhaust: Retarded
Tokico HP Shocks/Struts: Meh...
Tein S Lowering Springs: Fantastically Meh...
TS Solid Front and Rear Sway Bars: Fantastic
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the review.

I think I am actually going to stay away from short throw shifters. Nothing compares to my maddog SRT4 sts 75% shorter 1" lower and threaded to fit regular shift *****. It was awesome!!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Congratulations on $10 off... I personally hated mine, a 350z doesn't need a short shifter
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmmm i dont have any problems shifting mine without a shift extender *shrug* the shifts just have to be very "deliberate"
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
a 350z doesn't need a short shifter
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
Congratulations on $10 off... I personally hated mine, a 350z doesn't need a short shifter
lol.. yep. Mines notchy as all hell too.
TWM shift ***** are awesome, but this car just doesnt need a short shifter.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review. The main thing is that you like it.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ss is useless in the z IMO. just get a shorter shift ****. practically teh same effect.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:14 PM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is stock with Genuine TWM m1 abrams shift **** with all inserts removed and bottomed out. Nice and functional height lower than stocked and has 460g of weight behind it. Cost me $40 on ebay and came with the extender which is sitting here collecting dust. Got a carbon fiber Nismo **** for $10 on craigslist new and its collecting dust too. Using oem for summer since its way to hot right now.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont think people commenting about a shorter shift **** doing the same thing actually understand how the twm works. its not like the nismo one, the bottom section, that bolts to the shift rod, i closer to the pivot point then stock or nismo by about .5-.75 inchs. even with stock height up top with a extender and stock shift **** this still results in a shorter throw.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
fiteallison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally hated mine, a 350z doesn't need a short shifter