Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

5AT Samco's, SARD, 9 lb pulleys & Crawford. PIC!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004 | 05:10 PM
12SecZ

OK I am looking there right noe pages 28 through 30. Does everyone have these 3 pages that can read Greak?

28. Input/Output of TCM
29. Line Pressure Control
30. Shift Control

Free Mods RULE! WD hold off on the VBU while we locate a geek I mean an Engineer to look at this.
Old 01-11-2004 | 05:37 PM
12SecZ

The entire zip file is 6MB's
Old 01-11-2004 | 06:34 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier
Premier Member

Page 47 shows the logical wiring..

Based on what I see.. it appears the TCM itself is INSIDE the tranmission assembly... and so is the valve. I don't see any schematics refering any harnesses coming out except for the F6 10-pin harness.. which is for the entire AT Assembly.

(see page 46 for referencing the entire control assembly).
Old 01-11-2004 | 08:12 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by 12SecZ
WD hold off on the VBU while we locate a geek I mean an Engineer to look at this.
Will do, I have waited this long.

If I had to guess, I would say this is what level 10 does and then they charge you $700 without install, shipping and delivery

Man I will owe you guys big. This alone will save me $1000 *if it works*

If it does I will be all over those injectors and ecu flash.
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:00 AM
12SecZ

I also forgot to tell you two things,

Guy sells a 6th wire for his grounding kit now. The 6th wire for A5T's can ground your tranny (better signal to ECM) then run it through the battery to the frame , that is how I have mine through the battery and to the frame.

Plus,

When you pull out the brake fuse you have to disable TC for 20 seconds in the on position then turn off, and then back on.

Dang computers.

I saw some TSM stuff on my CD off the Valve I didn't look long,

It was like this:

Pressure Regulator Valve <- Line Pressure Selenoid Valve <-*TCM

*TCM
Revolutions
Vehicle Speed
AT Fluid Temp
Input Torque

We are on to something here that will change the Z

I have friggen GOT to get some sleep, I can barely see it's all blurry. Maybe Gurgen will chime back in by the time I wake up!

Thanks all.
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:30 AM
12SecZ

Shift Control ACS000H9
The clutch pressure control solenoid is controlled by the signals from the switches and sensors. Thus, the
clutch pressure is adjusted to be appropriate to the engine load state and vehicle driving state. It becomes
possible to finely control the clutch hydraulic pressure with high precision and a smoother shift change characteristic
is attained.

At Low Fluid Temperature
When the A/T fluid temperature drops below the prescribed temperature,
in order to speed up the action of each friction element, the line
pressure is set higher than the normal line pressure characteristic.

At Low Fluid Temperature
When the A/T fluid temperature drops below the prescribed temperature,
in order to speed up the action of each friction element, the line
pressure is set higher than the normal line pressure characteristic.

During Shift Change
The necessary and adequate line pressure for shift change is set.
For this reason, line pressure pattern setting corresponds to input
torque and gearshift selection. Also, line pressure characteristic is
according to engine speed, during engine brake operation.

LINE PRESSURE CONTROL IS BASED ON THE TCM LINE PRESSURE CHARACTERISTIC
PATTERN
 The TCM has stored in memory a number of patterns for the optimum line pressure characteristic for the
driving state.
 In order to obtain the most appropriate line pressure characteristic to meet the current driving state, the
TCM controls the line pressure solenoid current valve and thus controls the line pressure.

Lock-Up Control ACS000HA
The torque converter clutch piston in the torque converter is engaged to eliminate torque converter slip to
increase power transmission efficiency.
The torque converter clutch control valve operation is controlled by the torque converter clutch solenoid valve,
which is controlled by a signal from TCM, and the torque converter clutch control valve engages or releases
the torque converter clutch piston.
Lock-up Operation Condition Table
TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE CONTROL
Lock-up Control System Diagram
Lock-up Released
 In the lock-up released state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the unlocked state by the
torque converter clutch solenoid and the lock-up apply pressure is drained.
In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is not coupled.
PCIA0013E
Select lever D position M5 position M4 position M3 position M2 position
Gear position 5 4 5 4 3 2
Lock-up × – × × × ×
Slip lock-up × × – – – –
PCIA0014E
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:35 AM
12SecZ

Lock-up Applied
 In the lock-up applied state, the torque converter clutch control valve is set into the locked state by the
torque converter clutch solenoid and lock-up apply pressure is generated.
In this way, the torque converter clutch piston is pressed and coupled.
SMOOTH LOCK-UP CONTROL
When shifting from the lock-up released state to the lock-up applied state, the current output to the torque converter
clutch solenoid is controlled with the TCM. In this way, when shifting to the lock-up applied state, the
torque converter clutch is temporarily set to the half-clutched state to reduce the shock.
Half-Clutched State
 The current output from the TCM to the torque converter clutch solenoid is varied to gradually increase
the torque converter clutch solenoid pressure.
In this way, the lock-up apply pressure gradually rises and while the torque converter clutch piston is put
into half-clutched status, the torque converter clutch piston operating pressure is increased and the coupling
is completed smoothly.
Slip Lock-up Control
 In the slip region, the torque converter clutch solenoid current is controlled with the TCM to put it into the
half-clutched state. This absorbs the engine torque fluctuation and lock-up operates from low speed.
This raises the fuel efficiency for 4th and 5th gears at both low speed and when the accelerator has a low
degree of opening.

Just noticed the TCM is part of the CAN system of the ECM POS computers.
Old 01-12-2004 | 11:55 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

Hey Guys

I raed through some of that stuff also. I was told by danny of TS that the TCM is a smaller unit and is physically located next to teh ecu on the d-side under the dash. So it is NOT inside the tranny.

Second... It is possible that the resistor mod is not possible here as it is built into the circuit board of the TC.

But given that the line rpessire (clutch AND TC) is upped given a higher torque input from teh engine , don't you think that it iwll just increase further on an Fi car naturally - given the high TQ output of the FI setup. I guess it may BOT, as you see, the line pressure levels off at some point (if you look at the graph). If this is a set point (as in Max on an NA car) - then NO -the pressure won't increase. But if it is providioned in the software to increase proportionally as the TQ input increases to a value beyond the normal FI car (read: stock car) then we are screwed.

I wish I had time to get into the shop manual more...

Gurgen
Old 01-12-2004 | 02:08 PM
12SecZ

I talked to Danny today too. Please call him with any tips and tricks. I will be at RB Motoring tommorow and then getting a room for my appointment at TS the next day. I am leaving here from Sac tommorow at about 10am to be in City of Industry by 5pm.

I want to try and firm up m shift points in 1st, I am off tonight so any tips or tricks before then I can mention to Tadashi?
Old 01-12-2004 | 03:06 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

I talked to Danny today too. Please call him with any tips and tricks. I will be at RB Motoring tommorow and then getting a room for my appointment at TS the next day. I am leaving here from Sac tommorow at about 10am to be in City of Industry by 5pm.

I want to try and firm up m shift points in 1st, I am off tonight so any tips or tricks before then I can mention to Tadashi?
Max

i am not sure what you mean by me mentioning tips ad tricks to Danny. About the Line pressure? Is that what it is?

Gurgen
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:35 PM
12SecZ

Hi Gurgen

You mentioned software and such so I instantly thought of the flash and any idea you may have.

I did ask them if they did light mechanical work and they do (they installed my injectors) so anything you can think of. You have my cell number, it will be on Wednesday!

But if it is providioned in the software to increase proportionally as the TQ input increases to a value beyond the normal FI car (read: stock car) then we are screwed.
That was the line that stirred my hopes.
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:37 PM
12SecZ

BTW here is my ground through the battery to the frame, I have the normal ground to stock location wire too.

It's a Phoenix Gold cap on top of the teminal with a pass through.

But given that the line rpessire (clutch AND TC) is upped given a higher torque input from teh engine , don't you think that it iwll just increase further on an Fi car naturally - given the high TQ output of the FI setup.
I didn't want to sound odd, but since upping my boost I raised my torque and it actually shifts BETTER not worse with the more torque on the low end (via a FI pulley swap.)
Attached Thumbnails 5AT Samco's, SARD, 9 lb pulleys &amp; Crawford.  PIC!-newground640.jpg  

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-12-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2004 | 06:06 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

BTW here is my ground through the battery to the frame, I have the normal ground to stock location wire too.

It's a Phoenix Gold cap on top of the teminal with a pass through.

I didn't want to sound odd, but since upping my boost I raised my torque and it actually shifts BETTER not worse with the more torque on the low end (via a FI pulley swap.)
So it's actually shifting firmer. If so, then it supports my theory that the TCM does take in the increased torque signal and increases the line pressure even further. This would be good news if it were in fact true.

TS will NOT be able to tweak the software in the TCM, I have asked them MANY times. I am beginning to lose hope that the resistor may be built into the TCM, and is not inline like it is on the Maximas. THen again, I am purely speculating.... We need to find this solenoid first, and only then see what the deal is.

Gurgen
Old 01-12-2004 | 06:27 PM
12SecZ

Yeah, I would liken it to a 50% shift firmness increase (for anyone who has ever used Hypertech.) It grabs the clutches on the TC harder I guess for whatever reason, cooling fluid temps, line pressure etc.

WD saying he made zero boost at WOT what is that though??
Old 01-12-2004 | 07:49 PM
whosdady

I should explain the situation better. What happened was... A car pulled out infront of me. (it didn't stop at the stop sign and I was traveling too fast to stop.) I went into the other lane and punched it (trac con. was off as I did so) What I noticed was, the engine reved high quickly as the pedal hit the floor and there was no "boost feeling," as I don't have a boost gauge. There was not even a feeling of increased power. Only increased noise from the engine/exhaust rumble as the car incresed in RPM's. These are my thoughts. Anyone of these could have happened or even a combination of them. Some are more likely than others: 1) bypass valve couldn't handle it and let all the pressure out, thus reving high. 2) tranny couldn't take the pressure and didn't stick. 3) FMU couldn't adjust quickly enough and went into some kind of limp mode power wise. 4) ECU noticed knocking and went into some power conserving mode. 5) Torque management kicked in and whimped out.

Max, this has occured before but in a less stressful situation. I normally don't drive like that. I suggest you try this yourself. Drive about 40 mph in 3rd or 4th (I can't remember which gear) then punch it hard. Try to be boosting slightly at 40 mph. I don't have a boost gauge so I am only guessing 3-4 psi at 40mph. See if the boost goes up or stays the same. Granted the results in your car may be different because you wouldn't have issues with the FMU (ECU Flash) and your car doesn't have problems shifting normally. In my car when I drive it whimpy (shifting at 4K) I have zero problems. But when I need it, the car limps out. I'm betting it is TCM related. Unless there is some cool resistor upgrade that you and gurgan can figure out. The vbu may be the only way for me to go.

As far as 50% firmness. Make sure you are not confusing that with the feeling of 20+rwtq If your tranny shifts perfect all the time it may be hard to tell the difference.

Good luck tomorrow. Tell Tadashi I said hello and that he needs to come to St. Louis to help tune my car.
Old 01-12-2004 | 09:12 PM
12SecZ

I think you scared him away from your car lol it's Christine

I do that exact thing daily on the road and make boost!
Old 05-01-2005 | 08:23 PM
str8cwestin

hey sam do u think that u can pm me ur cell phone i have some questions to ask you about ur modifications. i want to get where are u are at just need help approaching it.