Optima Lightweight Battery Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 04:17 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by alphared
You tap your amp lead to the stock fused block? I thought you couldn't do that?
Picture is kind of deceiving, it goes to the battery post.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since everyone is posting pictures, here's mine, with the fuse box moved.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff, just curious how much do you sell this battery for??
Old 01-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Alberto
Jeff, just curious how much do you sell this battery for??
Check it out here...
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=194
Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed!

Instaled it today. Fits perfectly if you modify the bracket slightly.

I think I could actually feel a diference. Pulling a hard right our of my driveway as I do every morning, the car feel a little lighter on it's front tires this time. Acceleration is slightly (read slight) better. But hey, also peace of mind knowing that heavy *** (and man is it heavy) OEM battery is out of there.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:41 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Congrats, My OEM battery is on my shelf in the garage, it will be my 02 Maxima's replacement when its needed.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:31 PM
VQ35DES

Anyone2u, stupid question, but what kinda wires are those?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:44 PM
MySunset350Z

i dont know much about car batteries, not my area.

BUT just a quick review. this yellow top saves 22lbs over stock? and what about the oddessy battery someone else mentioned, looks like that one saves even more weight.

i dont have an aftermarket system in my car, so no worries about power drain there, BUT i do have my NAV, heated seats, and dont forget my n2o system all draining the battery. will the battery be able to hold all this stuff and still run ok? ill be installing my crank pulley on this summer too, so this is going to drop the amount of power the alternator produces.

so now about this battery....can it hold all this beating everyday?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by VQ35DES
Anyone2u, stupid question, but what kinda wires are those?
I don't have the car here to double check, but I believe they are made by Stinger and the battery terminals on top are made by Phoenix Gold, I believe.

As far as the batteries power capacity running the accessories on the car, here's a pretty good description of the Optima Yellow Top battery (from one of the links Trackstar provided).
Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 PM
trackstar

MySunset350Z, FWIW, I ran the Odyssey battery in my M3 which had heated seats and an underdrive crank pulley, in very cold weather, with absolutely no problems. It weighs significantly less than the Optima and will definitely work in your situation. Either way, optima or odyssey, is a great choice. I plan on going odyssey eventually.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:52 PM
infidsg35

Thanx a lot guys now I just ordered one....
Old 01-21-2004, 08:03 PM
MySunset350Z

thanks for the info trackstar

ill probably stick to oddyssey strictly because of it being the lighter of the 2. if anything does happen, ill just get the optima.

but why the big price difference between the 2?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Bottom

I used to work for Optima as an Engineer less than a year ago. The “Lightweight” battery is actually a Group 51 size. This size was made for the Honda civic market and not for a weight difference. IMHO, if you want to save weight and money I would go with an ordinary Sear’s or whatever battery. If you want an Optima for the electrical upgrade, I would go with a Red Top, even though it’s heavier. The “lightweight” Optima and Yellow top is a deep cycle. Since the 350z comes with an alternator already installed, cycle life will be better with the Red Top SLI battery.

The “lightweight” battery is taller than any Red or Yellow Top, but Optima makes a height spacer for these batteries. They also should be free at the battery store or call optima’s customers service.

Let me know if you need any information.
DK
Old 01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by Bottom
...If you want an Optima for the electrical upgrade, I would go with a Red Top, even though it’s heavier. The “lightweight” Optima and Yellow top is a deep cycle. Since the 350z comes with an alternator already installed, cycle life will be better with the Red Top SLI battery.
I'm a little confused. From the Optima Battery website-applications , it states the following:

Car Audio: Yellow Top/Deep Cycle only Red Top/SLI will not be covered by warranty.

Also under the following descriptions:

Yellow Top ...Vehicles with computers, extra radios, electronic components, lights, winches, etc. will create excessive amperage drain that can damage a starting battery. Recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top to provide fast recharging and longer life due to its' ability to cycle over 300 times.

Red Top/SLI...If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
MySunset350Z

Originally posted by Bottom
I used to work for Optima as an Engineer less than a year ago. The “Lightweight” battery is actually a Group 51 size. This size was made for the Honda civic market and not for a weight difference. IMHO, if you want to save weight and money I would go with an ordinary Sear’s or whatever battery. If you want an Optima for the electrical upgrade, I would go with a Red Top, even though it’s heavier. The “lightweight” Optima and Yellow top is a deep cycle. Since the 350z comes with an alternator already installed, cycle life will be better with the Red Top SLI battery.

The “lightweight” battery is taller than any Red or Yellow Top, but Optima makes a height spacer for these batteries. They also should be free at the battery store or call optima’s customers service.

Let me know if you need any information.
DK

so the optima yellow and red tops arnt lighter then stock batteries?

whats ur opinion on the odyessey battery? it's a bit thinner and taller then the stock battery, and it has 350 cycles..(if that made any sense). ship weight is around 14-16lbs. thats a lot lighter then stock.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
The Optima is 20+ lb's lighter than stock!!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Bottom

Originally posted by MySunset350Z

whats ur opinion on the odyessey battery? it's a bit thinner and taller then the stock battery, and it has 350 cycles..(if that made any sense). ship weight is around 14-16lbs. thats a lot lighter then stock.
For the same group size, the Optima is heaver. This is because the Optima use much more active material, this also helps explain the higher price. The size of the standard 350z battery is lighter than the same size Optima, but from what everyone is saying the Group 51 or "Lightweight" is 22 lbs lighter.

As far as the Odyssey battery, car batteries are car batteries. The same technology and electro-chemistry controls them all. Normal car lead acid batteries are basically lead plates in a sulfuric acid bath. The more material (lead) that can be used the more output. But for this conversation, the more lead the more output the more weight. The optimas have the advantage of using more material in smaller amounts of space to produce longer life, amps output, life, and damage resistance. So if you don't need large electrical power requirements go with a lighter weight battery, but sufficient enough to handle the normal requirements and desired life span.

The recommendation from the website on Red and Yellow top, all I can say in explaining this is the Marketing Department.

Hope this helped
DK
Old 01-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Scrapin 240

i have a optima battery for over 7 years in various cars and they are worth every penny
Old 05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
z327

Originally posted by Anyone2u
Since everyone is posting pictures, here's mine, with the fuse box moved.
How did you modify the battery hold down in the back?
I can't seem to come up with a good method of attachment with the same Optima Battery.

Also how did you tie down or attach the fuse box in its new location?
Old 05-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Brad4rdHay

Jason, my battery failed on me. It lastd about 3-4 days, then died. CHarged it, put it back in, then it dies the next day. Instalation was perfect....was it a defective battery?

Quick Reply: Optima Lightweight Battery Installation