Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rogue Enginering short throw shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:52 PM
DeeZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rogue Enginering short throw shifter review

let me start by thanking bj once more at 350evo for his help, and SPEEDY delivery of this shifter! with that said, my review.

i have always considered my Z's shifter to be a pretty short throw in stock trim. and i felt that the gates could use a little more "feel". now with me RE short throw, it makes my stock shifter feel as if it were sloppy, loose, and generaly felt as if i was overextending each throw! to say that the difference in feel is night and day, would be an understatement! the RE shifter feels crisp, and solid. two aspects i find VERY important! there is no mistaking wich gear you are engauging. ther is no play once in that gear, as i felt there was before. at first the throw difference didnt feel "too much" different? but after 10 min of street driving i was realy starting to apprecieate it! there is just a small amount more force needed to engauge each gear. not much. it is very small. but it gives the shifter that crisp feeling it needed. its not at all rough. there is NO unwanted noise! and possably a little amont of vibration over say 3500rpm's? im not sure if i had it before, i never realy noticed?? i am also running the nismo titanum shift **** (not the gt) that will also transmit viberation ALOT more than stock! but that also makes it feel solid! this peace is VERY well crafted as well. with this NEW design (a pin/small locknut runs through it to ensure no seperation) i am POSITIVE we will have no issues with seperation! and i must say, ben, i was a bit skeptical. never having heard of your company before. but now my hat is off to you!! and to anyone with this mod on your list, possably one of the lower ones as it was for me! i would STRONGLY advise you to move it to you "MUST HAVE NOW" list!! and to think, if my wife hadent gotten it for me for my birthday, i wouldnt have known!! this totaly changed my driving experience for the better! and was positivly money well spent! (well her money, but you get the idea ) thanks again guys!! HAPPY birthday indeed!!!

ps. but dyno says at least 15whp but whos counting????
Old 01-17-2004, 05:04 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy Shifting!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:45 AM
350zluvr

What is Rogue Engineering's website?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:57 AM
dwnshift

Short Shifter can be ordered from www.350evo.com
Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might have to add it to my list BJ. Dang this is getting exspensive.

Last edited by jmark; 01-17-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:54 AM
John

Yeah, BJ is quite productive at making us all poor, isn't he?

Enjoy that shifter... it's a lot of fun!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:39 AM
DeeZee

yea i love it! im on my way to a local nissan meet as we speak!! i cant wait to show it off! thanks again bj!!! and i forgot to mention my install time in my review?? 30min!! i used a new cup as bj sugested and im HAPPY i did. since i hade an after market **** already, it came apart/went together REALY fast! then again, i was using a lift. i think it could be done in the same amount of time with stands though. once a few more people buy these and review them, i think EVERYONE is going to end up using it!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:13 AM
jmark

Originally posted by John
Yeah, BJ is quite productive at making us all poor, isn't he?

Enjoy that shifter... it's a lot of fun!
Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
silverstoneTT

Hmm, Well I was planning on stopping by Rogue's offices this week to pick one up but my schedule won't allow that so I just went ahead and ordered one through 350Evo.com. Looking at the directions Rogue has though, it says I'll have to go under the car to install it. Is this true?
Old 01-19-2004, 04:02 PM
FLY BY Z

yes. the instructions would not say to go under the car if it wasn't necessary.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:39 PM
DeeZee

yes, you will. there is 1 bolt you will need to remove. not very hard at all. the whole job start to finish was only 30min! i still cant belive the difference in feel! i just love it! did you order the new cup as well? i DEFINATLY recomend it! let us know what you think after you get it in. mine was here two days after i ordered too, so you should be reciving it shortly. i promise your going to LOVE it!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:06 PM
jmark

BJ,

How does the Z with the Rogue shifter compare to the stock S2000 shifter? I know you owned one at one time.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:48 PM
DeeZee

not to answer for him, but he told me on the phone when i ordered mine that they felt very much alike. he said to "go feel the shifter in an s2k, and thats about what i should expect from my RE shifter." but i never got around to checking one out, i just installed the RE?? so i cant personaly say if its the same. if you REALY want, i can stop by honda on the way to my martial arts class tomarow, and check it out for you? its on the way
Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Jax350z

From your review it sounds as if the short throw is an excellent way of presicely shifting, and not missing gears when it counts. It is also a relativly inexpensive way to gain 15rwhp, but is that really the case? I'm not saying I know it isn't, I'm just saying that I do not understand everything about the short throw, and I seem to miss how it would add 15rwhp.

The 350 EVO website makes no such claim, so was it a dyno tested difference, or are you explaining what the accellerating difference "feels" like?

-Jax350z
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM
jmark

DeeZee,

Thanks for the offer. Don't put yourself out. Nice color choice on the Z by the way.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:54 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Jax350z
From your review it sounds as if the short throw is an excellent way of presicely shifting, and not missing gears when it counts. It is also a relativly inexpensive way to gain 15rwhp, but is that really the case? I'm not saying I know it isn't, I'm just saying that I do not understand everything about the short throw, and I seem to miss how it would add 15rwhp.

The 350 EVO website makes no such claim, so was it a dyno tested difference, or are you explaining what the accellerating difference "feels" like?

-Jax350z
that comment is a joke on all accounts. he is saying basically that although this adds absolutley no power, it still makes it more fun to drive the car. sort of like 15 HP would. but it doesn't even feel like 1 HP more because it adds no power.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 PM
DeeZee

jmark, its no problem man! ive been meaning to go drive one anyway. i like to see EXACTLY what the compition is driving! im going to go tomarow anyway. the 2004 s2k they bumped it up to a 2.2L, so i want to check it out! ill get back to you on the shifter.

jax350z, sorry i confused you like that. FLY BY thanks. you pretty much summed it up for me! it would be impossable to add power from just a shifter, but you could get "slightly" better qtr times since there is less time between gears. but it wouldnt be much! the driving "feel" is the whole reason to get this mod. im not kidding when i say that the stock shifter feels sloppy/loose! i drove my friends z today (we did an intake), and for the 10min i was driving it i started to miss my shifter! he needs to see mine! (i drove my wifes altima to his house today. )

Last edited by DeeZee; 01-19-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
FormulaRX

how much does the shifter cost?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:24 AM
jmark

Originally posted by dwnshift
Short Shifter can be ordered from www.350evo.com
Check it out here. www.350evo.com
Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 PM
DeeZee

hey jmark, i took the s2k for a ride today as promised! nice car but id still rather have my Z! now the shifter. the s2k shifter did feel alot like the RE shifter. i only noticed 2 things different. 1. the gates of the RE seem just a LITTLE bit more refined/notchie. wich i find good, but the s2k's seem to slide into gear, and you dont realy "feel" it? and 2. the RE shifter has better spring back. like if you push your shifter all the way to the left, as if you were going to put it in first but decided not to, and let it go. it would center itself again. the s2k's spring seemed weak. the RE felt more firm. (i dont think that has to do with the RE shifter? i think its the stock spring under the cup of the 350z?) eigther way, is a much better design in our car! but the throws are VERY close! now i want to see an s2k with a short throw shifter in it???? you probably dont even need to move your wrist??? it would be insanely short!! anyone ever drive a s2k with a short throw??? id kinda like to hear about it! later!!

Quick Reply: Rogue Enginering short throw shifter review