Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What ECU's are available right now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What ECU's are available right now?

It's been a while since i've been on here. What are some ECU's available right now and what are some gains? Also, has anyone dyno'ed the K&N CAI?, if you have what were the gains on that? Have any internals came out for the Z? I remember a while back there was like 2 places you could get internals and one of them was to get them custom made. It's been a while, but it still seems like the modification availability is limited, am I wrong. Any guidance would be great. BTW, i'll be 15 in March, just planning ahead, getting the Z this december only about 11 more months, can't wait!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
KJY9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK there are only two places doing ECU flashes. Dallas and LA. From what I understand, Shiv @ Vishnu should have a piggyback unit out soon.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Is this all you guys have for me?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ther are 3 places doing ecu reflashes now..and internals are easy to come by...

but honestly if you are 15, best bet is to get used to the car stock for a few years first.....
Old 01-23-2004, 10:58 AM
tcn75

what place does ecu flash in dallas ? .. and how much ? .. thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
chazzg

www.fisherspeed.com $595
Old 01-23-2004, 11:30 AM
dczoner

Fisherspeed looks nifty at a glance, but it is possibly one of the worst designed websites I have ever seen in my life.

And they don't say how to order their products either, or if I can get it installed by someone locally, or why I should choose theirs vs. Technosquare, etc...

Needs significantly more work before I would buy from them...
Old 01-23-2004, 01:58 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I would trust them tuning though.

There was a recent thread about one who had to replace 4 spark plugs among other things after getting the Fisherspeed ECU.

And from what I've heard, Fisherspeed has been calling Technosquare back and forth regarding tuning.

So do they really know what they're doing?
Old 01-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Everyone has to call TS regarding tuning...TS's support for this product is virtually non existant - they basically leave it up to the tuner to "figure it out" - but do not provide really much help besides some very basic info.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:18 PM
FLY BY Z

There have been successfull Fisherspeed tunes also. Let's not overlook the fact that Fisherspeed is offering the TS product in TX. DCZoner, you would be a bonehead to buy a TS flash from Fisherspeed when you live in CA where TS is. They use the same programmer. Fisherspeed is NEW. Do you all think that when TS first dove into the Z ECU everything came out perfect and making tons of reliable HP? Hell, no. They had to learn it just like Fisherspeed is learning it. You guys need to use a little common sense when you comment on people and their products. Disparagement or praise on a board like this has much more profound effects than any magazine advertisement. Be careful commenting about what you do not completely know.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:38 AM
2003z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Everyone has to call TS regarding tuning...TS's support for this product is virtually non existant - they basically leave it up to the tuner to "figure it out" - but do not provide really much help besides some very basic info.
and why should they share their proprietary info?
Old 01-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

because they sold the programmer and software to all of the other vendors......had I paid $6k for a software setup and received no product support, I'd be pretty annoyed.......
Old 01-24-2004, 02:06 PM
dvlad

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Is this all you guys have for me?
dude....go here for all the info you are looking for. It has every possible part you might want.

Your welcome.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hey Adam-

well they tell you basically where all the coding is location on the map. they tell you how to add and subtract timing... (all of which was unknown before they did their R&D)... so they leave it up to the tune companies that buy their programmer to create their own maps... it would be financial suicide to give up their tuned maps and code just because a tuner buys the programmer.. then what's stopping the tuner in going around and selling the tuned map at $200 and undersell technosquare which took all this time to find all the data points and what not..

you will receive their product support in the sense of how to use their software.. but if you're looking for inputs for the timing and/or fuel.. thats what R&D will figure out -- you will need a timing readout and an accurate A/F meter to measure everythign while you're on the dyno--

--Cheston

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
because they sold the programmer and software to all of the other vendors......had I paid $6k for a software setup and received no product support, I'd be pretty annoyed.......
Old 01-25-2004, 04:50 AM
350Z_Redline

Originally posted by Chebosto
hey Adam-

well they tell you basically where all the coding is location on the map. they tell you how to add and subtract timing... (all of which was unknown before they did their R&D)... so they leave it up to the tune companies that buy their programmer to create their own maps... it would be financial suicide to give up their tuned maps and code just because a tuner buys the programmer.. then what's stopping the tuner in going around and selling the tuned map at $200 and undersell technosquare which took all this time to find all the data points and what not..

you will receive their product support in the sense of how to use their software.. but if you're looking for inputs for the timing and/or fuel.. thats what R&D will figure out -- you will need a timing readout and an accurate A/F meter to measure everythign while you're on the dyno--

--Cheston
Theoretically, couldn't a shop send out an ECU to TS to be flashed and then simply download the map that was uploaded by TS? Or can downloaded info simply not be compiled into a map? Even if a map couldn't be created from the flash I'm sure some valuable info could be gained. I'm definitely not condoning that type of behavior by shops, but I’m just curious if it’s possible.

I was planning to get a flash from TS and then have the flash tweaked by a local shop. The local shop has done a few flashes but they don't have the experience that TS has so that’s why I’d start with the TS flash that should be ~80%-90% optimized for my Z. However, as insurance for myself I'd want the local shop to back up my TS flash incase I needed to go back to it if I had problems vs having it low leveled. Would this be possible?

I truly think the best solution would be one similar to the Dynojet PowerCommander that I have on my bike; I believe Shiv is working on something similar. Dynojet actually posts maps on their website that can be downloaded by anyone. Those wanting a map tuned specifically for their bike download the most compatible map for their application and get it dyno tuned. Also, anyone can download the software to manipulate the maps and they allow anyone to upload maps, which is great for the entire community.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the only hardware currently that i know of that can download is owned by Techtom industries.. parent company of TechnoSquare in Japan.. and they dont sell that hardware... not even to the manufacturing companies.... :\

i'm not sure if nissan dealerships have download capabilities.... but its worth a try ?