Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

TWM Individual Throttle Bodies for VQ35DE???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 AM
VQ35Kompressor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWM Individual Throttle Bodies for VQ35DE???

To anyone interested in ever, I mean ever going N/A (All motor) on their VQ35DE's and looking for ITB's (Individual Throttle Bodies), don't expect TWM to come out with any. This is their response to my email:

"It would cost at least $25,000.00 to develop a kit for the 35DE. The demand levels are simply not there to justify, not only the time invested but the interruption to our existing program. Why not buy the HKS package?" - TWM Induction

I have seen a pix on the net for the HKS Individual Throttles, and they look really sick! But I guess that's for full race. Again, probably way too expensive!

I thought about buying an 03 VQ35DE from a crashed 350Z. And then stuffing SGP 11.5:1 pistons in the block bored slightly over. Lighten the crank. Mill the head a bit to raise compression. Have the head sent out and Port & Polished. Trying to achieve 12:1 compression for daily driving. Running Tomei cams. Custom Technosquare ECU program/tuning. Upgraded clutch. Individual Throttle Bodies or go cheaper route/street setup; port the stock intake manifold. Run bigger better flowing injectors. I'm hoping to make 300-330 hp to the rear wheels with rating of 350 hp all motor. Still doing research, so if anything happens, I'll keep you all posted! (Expensive project... )
Old 01-20-2004, 11:08 AM
FLY BY Z

who is twm and tommy kaira has some out.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:23 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have already spoken at great length with TWM...

OOPS, spilled my secret.

$20k for a one-off...

$5k PER UNIT if an order of 10 were brought in.

Even then, the ECU CANNOT control these if they are open... no MAF.

TWM has toyed with putting a chamber around the ITBs (similar to an airbox) to get around the MAF problem. Though has never been tested.

TWM has no intentions of designing these for the VQ35 and said they would not fit, until we shared some ideas... and he felt they would work. This is when he quoted the prices as noted before.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 01-20-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Alang

12:1 as a daily driver in CA with 91 octane gas? I think thats asking a lot. Besides, twin TBs won't be CARB legal, so you will have to swap them back to stock every 2 years for smog testing. A serious amout of hassle for not much of an increase (compared to a CARB legal FI setup).
Old 01-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Alang
12:1 as a daily driver in CA with 91 octane gas? I think thats asking a lot. Besides, twin TBs won't be CARB legal, so you will have to swap them back to stock every 2 years for smog testing. A serious amout of hassle for not much of an increase (compared to a CARB legal FI setup).
Who makes a carb legal FI
Old 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Who makes a carb legal FI
stillen
Old 01-20-2004, 01:27 PM
VQ35Kompressor

I was planning on going 12:1 or so with timing down on pump gas, so I don't think much about that legal bs in cali. Back in the days, or past few years, didn't think much about legality playing with my Hondas. F*ck the smog *****. It's all good. As of now, it's just an idea. Not 100% going for it yet. I have gone turbo and familiar with all motor, but only in Honda's. I love how they play it on the street and track. All motor is really a whole different sport. I mean how many fellas here is going N/A? Are rather a bit more crazy on N/A? I think none?!? I think a lot of people are going turbo. I love turbo. I can't deny it. But I want to try something a little more realiable. Anyone blown their VQ35DE motor going turbo or S/C yet?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:20 PM
str8dum

How do you figure going to a 12:1 compression will be more reliable than a blower or a turbo? There are still going to be the same tuning hassles. For probably about the same price you can get an equally reliable blower with a lot more HP. I would be really embarrassed to tell people I spent multiple thousands of dollars on an "all motor" car when for the same price I coulda had a blower that would leave the motor car in the dust
YMMV

Originally posted by VQ35Kompressor
I was planning on going 12:1 or so with timing down on pump gas, so I don't think much about that legal bs in cali. Back in the days, or past few years, didn't think much about legality playing with my Hondas. F*ck the smog *****. It's all good. As of now, it's just an idea. Not 100% going for it yet. I have gone turbo and familiar with all motor, but only in Honda's. I love how they play it on the street and track. All motor is really a whole different sport. I mean how many fellas here is going N/A? Are rather a bit more crazy on N/A? I think none?!? I think a lot of people are going turbo. I love turbo. I can't deny it. But I want to try something a little more realiable. Anyone blown their VQ35DE motor going turbo or S/C yet?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its possible to do ITBs with a plenum. I have seen it done.

In fact, my friend Ron built a ITB system for one of his customers Vipers that used a plenum... it used a plenum because it is boosted tho, not because of a MAF.

However in the end they dropped the ITB system due to complications in keeping all 10 throttle bodies synchronized long term. All the linkages and crap, too much stuff. If you were going to go that route and be that hardcore, surely the MAF would not be a concern because you would have no reason to try and use the stock ECU... at a competition level you would be using a speed density based fully programmable engine management system that did not require a MAF.

heres some old pics of what my friend did on a Viper...

Its very pretty, indeed.

-Charles
Old 01-20-2004, 05:31 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by str8dum
How do you figure going to a 12:1 compression will be more reliable than a blower or a turbo? There are still going to be the same tuning hassles. For probably about the same price you can get an equally reliable blower with a lot more HP. I would be really embarrassed to tell people I spent multiple thousands of dollars on an "all motor" car when for the same price I coulda had a blower that would leave the motor car in the dust
YMMV
12:1 compression has a LOT less stress on the motor than boost. Some motorcycles have more than 12:1 stock. Anyways, how much you spend on which mods is all personal preference. If you have 12:1 compression, you don't have to tell anyone you have any mods at all. Then, when you outrun them they will begin to doubt their driving skills. To me that is much more fun than just blowing a wad of cash on a kit that anyone can buy. Some people like to do something different.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:19 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Thanks Fly By Z for the acknowledgement. I'm still fresh to the V6 arena. Yet even with rear wheel drive cars. My background steams from racing Hondas all motor. We have built cars, 1.8 motors stroked to 2.0 capable and have proven time after time to spank V8's on the street. On a street setup with "pump gas" at 12:1 on a 1.8, we were able to do 12.5 on a Civic HB. All motor. Simple setup. No ITB's. No crazy stuff. No gimmicks. Real deal! And with most recent street Civic HB stroked to 2.0, putting out 261 to the front wheels all motor. That's 261!!! Dyno sheet to prove it too. This car ran 11.8 on full slicks with full interior. This was accomplished all motor. This same car helped us win several thousands of dollars at the street races already. Now come to think of it, this same car have spanked numerous go fast cars. One race even a fully built track only Eclipse pushing out 500+ horses as the owners claim. Still got spanked by a few car lengths. Now, I have gone turbo and I love it. But too much power, loses traction. And maybe all motor is a bit cheaper?!? And again, too much boost blows motors. I want reliability so maybe I'm thinking of going all motor whereas everyone else is going turbo. Maybe I'll give these fellas pushing 500+ with their turbo kits a good run?!? We'll see...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:22 PM
VQ35Kompressor

Viper looks sick! Got to give them props. I love the custom work on the plenum box and the ITB's! Definitely a work of art! How much power did it dyno at? Do you know?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:42 PM
PhoenixINX

To build a STRONG NA motor, you are going to spend more than you would with FI.

Simple as that.

... and yes my knowledge spans from building Honda motors as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VQ35Kompressor: yes I know, because they ran it on my dyno! It made well over 700hp at the wheels on pump gas. I cant remember peak torque but I do remember that the dyno graph started at 500lb ft around 2000 rpm.

my friend who built that viper has the worlds fastest viper and the worlds quickest non-nitrous viper. his personal viper put down 890rwhp and 950ft lb at low boost, it would have been safe on pump gas but it only gets the finest... when they put the boost at 10 psi they maxed out my dyno (1200lb ft) by 2400 rpm. the car has gone 247mph stock body at the flats.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:17 AM
VQ35Kompressor

That's pretty darn serious phunk! Crazy! Is that Viper on any site? Or you have a link? I would love to see more of it.

As Phoenix wrote, FI is nice. It really is. I do have a 50/50 interest in the Greddy TT kit for my 35. Oh, btw, I don't own a Z. My question is: How well has the stock motor hold up for the Greddy TT kit? I mean running on suggested boost and pump gas? Oh, it's legal btw right?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:53 AM
PhoenixINX

That's pretty darn serious phunk! Crazy! Is that Viper on any site? Or you have a link? I would love to see more of it.

As Phoenix wrote, FI is nice. It really is. I do have a 50/50 interest in the Greddy TT kit for my 35. Oh, btw, I don't own a Z. My question is: How well has the stock motor hold up for the Greddy TT kit? I mean running on suggested boost and pump gas? Oh, it's legal btw right?
The Z is much like boosting a Honda with far larger displacement. Your greatest enemies are going to be heat and compression, with both directly related.

How nice it would have been to get a cast block, must like a VG30, RB26, or 2JZ... but they couldn't do that for weight now could they?

As for compression... YES you can boost 10.5 - YES you must be safe about it. When you induce "boost" you are infact near doubling the compression of the motor as you near the 1BAR marker. How well can our motor hold 21:1 compression?

Dropping the compression will give you more margin of error, and less chance of detonation - then for boost junkies allow you to run MORE boost, bringing you back to that older limit you had with lower boost - but now you're making more power!

Make sense?

Feel free to ask!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:59 AM
mpowers

One bar? If the engine is stock run only .3 bar. It seems to me from everyone that has blown a motor is due to much boost. No bashing just a Q on why not run lower boost other than the obvious its fun!
Old 01-21-2004, 08:16 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by mpowers
One bar? If the engine is stock run only .3 bar. It seems to me from everyone that has blown a motor is due to much boost. No bashing just a Q on why not run lower boost other than the obvious its fun!
The motor didn't blow because of boost.

The motors have been blowing due to an air/fuel imbalance.

Putting pressure to this motor isn't hard, keep it cool and in tune is.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 AM
VQ35Kompressor

Yeah, 10:5 or so is not bad for turbo. It's really A/F and how well tuned it is. Other, parts used have to work in unison with each other. Can't just slap all kinds of $hiet and pray that it works. Lolz. Well going turbo or N/A does have it's benefits. Guess will have to wait and do more research. Still too new to say...plus...the market support is just growing.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
PhoenixINX

Yeah, 10:5 or so is not bad for turbo. It's really A/F and how well tuned it is. Other, parts used have to work in unison with each other. Can't just slap all kinds of $hiet and pray that it works. Lolz. Well going turbo or N/A does have it's benefits. Guess will have to wait and do more research. Still too new to say...plus...the market support is just growing.
Let me tell you this...

I was ready to order the Greddy turbo.

I didn't bother. Not yet.

Quick Reply: TWM Individual Throttle Bodies for VQ35DE???