Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pop went the vq... What to do ?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmlove1
you r right, but i guess a 2jz with stock internals can handle the same power a rebuilt VQ can.

so going to 2jz might be a lower cost solution.

anyways. goodluck for the OP in any way he choose.
True, stock for stock the 2jz can hold more power. Now ask the time and money involved for all the people that have done that swap. It's considerable. If you don't own a shop it would be ridiculous on cost to have a shop do it for you due to hours invested. Swaps with g35/350z are not cost effective at all due to all the custom work that needs to be done.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2jzgte with 6spd is 6,000. Now harness and all the other sht to get it to mount and work. Then fuel, exhaust, fmic, turbo, and some sort of ecu to tune. You're looking at $10k EASILY done right. Unless you find all used parts and do all the labor yourself. But I think I'm under estimating that cost. Believe me, I'm in the process of a 2jz swap. I know what's involved. Have done plenty of research on the 2j's and setups for a simple 5-600whp.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dynosty failure? dont think sound performance or vtr has had failures either(could be wrong on those though). its a matter of taking it to someone capable, take either a rb or 2jz to a person who has no clue what they are doing and its going bust too. been covered a million times, pretty much if your swapping to a rb "coz these engines were made for turbo" your retarded theres nothing magical about it the vq is more capable then the rb with some rods and a decent builder
i dont think building a VQ again is a good idea, most F/I VQ Builds end up with problems and car owners sell their car. if am were u i would swap it with 2jz or RB. coz these engines were made for turbo.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
True, stock for stock the 2jz can hold more power. Now ask the time and money involved for all the people that have done that swap. It's considerable. If you don't own a shop it would be ridiculous on cost to have a shop do it for you due to hours invested. Swaps with g35/350z are not cost effective at all due to all the custom work that needs to be done.
+1 JZ swaps are for those with some extra $ to burn and time.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
binder

Originally Posted by graffkid732
2jzgte with 6spd is 6,000. Now harness and all the other sht to get it to mount and work. Then fuel, exhaust, fmic, turbo, and some sort of ecu to tune. You're looking at $10k EASILY done right. Unless you find all used parts and do all the labor yourself. But I think I'm under estimating that cost. Believe me, I'm in the process of a 2jz swap. I know what's involved. Have done plenty of research on the 2j's and setups for a simple 5-600whp.
exactly, having the tools and means to do all the custom mounts plus the wiring harness and such is the expensive part. Paying a shop to do it would easily double or triple the cost in labor hours.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy a built block. Maybe even a long block.
Put it back together.
Get ready for a long road ahead lmao. Building any car is a PITA.

Don't worry about swapping an engine, lmao as everyone has said it is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

I would only consider swapping if you want something that is stouter at 1000+hp. Otherwise it really doesn't make sense imho.

Last edited by Resmarted; 05-14-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM
bmyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Buy a built block. Maybe even a long block.
Put it back together.
Get ready for a long road ahead lmao. Building any car is a PITA.

Don't worry about swapping an engine, lmao as everyone has said it is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

I would only consider swapping if you want something that is stouter at 1000+hp. Otherwise it really doesn't make sense imho.
So far, that guy's VR6 swap isn't too expensive . He was able to bolt the Z trans and starter up to it. If he made a kit, I think that would be one of the more cost effective swaps, it's just very unorthodox for this platform, of course.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
graffkid732

Originally Posted by bmyles
So far, that guy's VR6 swap isn't too expensive . He was able to bolt the Z trans and starter up to it. If he made a kit, I think that would be one of the more cost effective swaps, it's just very unorthodox for this platform, of course.
He has many connections to machine shops and engineers though. Where you may pay $500 for a part to be made, he's paying $100.

Luckily I know a machinist and a mechanical / aerospace engineer, so getting some things made, modified, or drawn up isn't too difficult.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by graffkid732
He has many connections to machine shops and engineers though. Where you may pay $500 for a part to be made, he's paying $100.

Luckily I know a machinist and a mechanical / aerospace engineer, so getting some things made, modified, or drawn up isn't too difficult.
I take it you havent been to his site...

$22 for a motor mount plate $26 for the side one, $153 for the oil adapter thingy he has, and $355 for the cd009 transmission adapter plate.

Pretty damn affordable. I doubt he's making much off this stuff.

If the vr6 could be built really cheaply though that would be a bonus... All the built motors I see are near the price of vq built motors... 4k for a shortblock isn't that cheap considering you're going down in size and your limit is like 750 at the crank, and you definitely would need headwork.... Not sure how much they can hold on stock block though.

Last edited by Resmarted; 05-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
bmyles

You sure you're talking about the 2.8L vr6? He said they're damn cheap to build. As for head work, a set of new cams ran him only $300. Head porting is pretty standard by a machine shop for any head, I would think. Pretty sure overall, it's cheaper to build the vr6.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 AM
binder

Originally Posted by bmyles
You sure you're talking about the 2.8L vr6? He said they're damn cheap to build. As for head work, a set of new cams ran him only $300. Head porting is pretty standard by a machine shop for any head, I would think. Pretty sure overall, it's cheaper to build the vr6.
I would never trust a regular machine shop to do any head work unless they have a history or training on that specific platform. Most standard machine shops don't have flow benches to make sure they are actually doing a good port. They just grind out as much material as they can and smooth things and call it good when in reality that's not what works best for high rev japanese motors. It's all about velocity and direction.

Either direction, swaps on this platform are murder on the wallet unless you have the means to customize stuff yourself. Swaps might be awesome and yes there are better motors out there but staying with the same engine is the cheapest and easiest for this car since there aren't any pre-made swap parts (complete).
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 AM
graffkid732

I take it you havent been to his site...

$22 for a motor mount plate $26 for the side one, $153 for the oil adapter thingy he has, and $355 for the cd009 transmission adapter plate.

Pretty damn affordable. I doubt he's making much off this stuff.

If the vr6 could be built really cheaply though that would be a bonus... All the built motors I see are near the price of vq built motors... 4k for a shortblock isn't that cheap considering you're going down in size and your limit is like 750 at the crank, and you definitely would need headwork.... Not sure how much they can hold on stock block though.
I haven't nope. Honestly, I think he mentioned he knew a machinist and possibly an engineer, so I just assumed.

That is cheap though ha. Almost to the point where if any of us wanted someone to make them somewhere else, would cost a hell of a lot more.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 AM
binder

ya, sounds really cheap for custom machined parts. I would think quality billet would cost that much without the machining.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM
QTB

You can put in a lot of built short/long blocks for the cost of a LS/RB/2JZ swap.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
bmyles

ya, sounds really cheap for custom machined parts. I would think quality billet would cost that much without the machining.
Well his motor mounts aren't anything super special. They definitely aren't billet. Two plates welded to a piece of pipe stock.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Resmarted

The mounts are super redic simple. You could make your own just by looking at the pics.

Here's why you would swap a 2j (pretty much what graff is doing)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and here is why i would swap a lsx worst part is as awesome as nelsons engines are there are several builders who put him to shame, some of them pushing more then 2200 hp however nelsons are alot more streetable. i know alot of the engines he has built and dynoed have also been limited to the size of the room his dyno is in and they have had to remove the window and use fans to feed the room because the engine was starting to pull a vacuum on the room lol. even a vq would be more streetable but would highly recommend a dry sump

The mounts are super redic simple. You could make your own just by looking at the pics.

Here's why you would swap a 2j (pretty much what graff is doing)
SP Built ProEFI 94mm 1600+whp 2JZ 240SX DYNO - YouTube

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 AM
04.350z

you r right, but i guess a 2jz with stock internals can handle the same power a rebuilt VQ can.

so going to 2jz might be a lower cost solution.

anyways. goodluck for the OP in any way he choose.

This post has to be the most ignorant thing I have seen in a while when a poster is serious.

Any swap what so ever is going to be more expensive that building a block or buying a built one.

With a swap you need a motor trans wiring harness driveshaft swap kit proper parts made to make things fit or to make them play nice with thw opposite ecm knowledge a reputable shop and money lots of money.

Building a vq or buying a built one take 5.5 k a garage install and a tune.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't typically disagree with you but I think that this is only about half true. It really depends on how the car is used.

If we are talking raw numbers and only street use, then for the most part you are correct. However, IMO there are better engines out there if you are making a purpose built car like mine was.

There in is the issue though, this forum is more dreamers and street racers now than anything so I am now the minority... .
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM
04.350z

Originally Posted by Quamen

There in is the issue though, this forum is more dreamers and street racers now than anything so I am now the minority... .

Happens when your once new car gets old and now you can get them for like 8 k :/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pop went the vq... What to do ?