Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New clutch catches very low

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I would never trust a shop that says the clutch should engage halfway through it's travel.

The clutch should be adjusted to start engaging about 1" off the floor which means to COMPLETELY disengage the clutch it should be at the floor. Maybe you can get by with only pushing it halfway down to change gears but since it's not taking all the pressure off the friction plates THAT is hard on the synchros since they are still loaded during the shift. Pushing the clutch pedal all the way down and unloading the transmission during shifts is the best way to prolong a transmission, not destroy it.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I push the clutch all the way down during dd all the time. Wtf u talking about? If u don't push it down enough u risk grinding the gear. I've done it once accidently. Don't care to experiment with how far I didn't push down.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If the clutch starts to engage 1" off the floor it would be terrible to shift quickly and hard on the trans, period. This is WHY is should be fully released by about the halfway point.

Nissan updated the clutch fork on the 350Z to cast iron for this very reason in 2004 (to get a better clutch release and quit killing transmissions) then went to a internal hydraulic bearing in 2007 to give it a even quicker/fuller release point

I may have worded this wrong that nobody pushes the clutch completely to the floor when shifting, you should, but very few people do, maybe you do on every shift but in my experience not many do. The point I was trying to get across is the clutch releasing 1" from the floor is not a good thing.

The quicker the clutch is fully released in the pedal stroke the better.

Ive been driving, Installing and testing clutch systems for over 25 years, Had clutches built for many race cars/drivers, I don't recall ever been told by a driver to set/adjust his clutch so it releases almost at the floor...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if it destroyed transmissions then nissan wouldn't have included it in the factory service manual. Setting up a race car that is repeatedly torn down and parts replaced is a completely different ball game from setting up a street driven vehicle.

Any of the full drag cars I've been in release low with a short throw. If you had to hold the clutch pedal halfway off the floor and hunt for the release point that would be tiring on the leg. If the full use travel of the clutch is 3" then I would make it closer to the floor and not closer to the steering wheel. It's still 3" of travel for operation but easier to find since it's just off the floor. I'm not about to have a clutch pedal with 8" of travel and hunt in the middle for my release point during a race.