Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine rebuild help

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
superman1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild help

I purchased a 2003 track 350z a little over a week ago that had water in the engine thanks to a cold air intake (why i hate CAI) looks like it broke a rod bearing and im pulling the motor out tomorrow or friday depending on the weather here in south florida.

My question is since im going to do a rebuild what are some options in rebuilding? this car will be a daily driver once I fix it for about 6 months to a year before i buy my second car I eventually want to twin turbo this car but i wanted some ideas on building the internals as best i can while the engine is out. now I cant spend a ton of money at the moment so wanted to see what my options are any help would be great thanks for reading.

and before I get flammed on and told to read through the forums I want you to know I am but i figured I would make a post and see what people will say LOL
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM
ericjackson

id just buy an already built shortblock
Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
superman1128

why wouldnt it be cheaper to just rebuild it yourself? plus i want to take it apart and learn more about it as im doing it.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your right you are going to get flamed and told to search your time isn't more valuable then ours when we have answered this exact question a million times now and get gets asked a minimum of twice a week. Further more if you think water got in the engine from a cai you don't understand the concepts of how things work enough to build it yourself. Your not going to break a bearing, grind it up or spin it sure but that has nothing to do with water. Hydrolocking the engine will bend a rod. Cai also didn't cause water to get in the engine physics its a botch and disproves that unless you have the cai submerged completely in water and tryed running it then there's a dozen other places water got in also.
Originally Posted by superman1128
why wouldnt it be cheaper to just rebuild it yourself? plus i want to take it apart and learn more about it as im doing it.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM
superman1128

the car was driven through a flooded area which is why it sucked up water. it did bend a rod and when the water was drained and he tried running the car hebroke the rod bearing into thousands of small pieces which are all over the motor. I'm not doing the rebuild myself a friend father who's a mechanic it's going tu be there every step of the way helping us and teaching us. I just wanted some info on what people prefer. and if your time is so valuable don't waste it writing up crap bitchhibg about similar posts and just ignore it :-) have a nice day
Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

I spent a year and 12 k building a "reliable" powerful motor. I am waiting for a junk yard motor to get the car running and get rid of it.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
bmyles

$2600 for a stage 1 short block from IPP. If I wanted to avoid headaches, that's what I'd do.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
jerryd87

like i said unless it was 100% submerged this dint happen water is to heavy to get sucked up a tube and around a bunch of bends unless its atomized, and if its atomized it can ingest a ton of water and be absolutely fine. like i said there is several other places in the engine that is more likely that it went into the engine. i live in hawaii, where it rains in torrential down pours and ive driven though 6 inch deep pot holes when the was already 3 inchs of standing water and my intake is only about 7 inchs off the ground. like i said your story is bs, dont make comments about how you expect to get flamed for posting a stupid *** question then get butt hurt when it happens. get off your lazy *** and research, that or take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing because if your friends father knew he wouldnt need you to ask questions.

mechanic dosnt mean ****, mechanics repair things they dont build, theres a reason people take engines to engine builders and not mechanics, thats as ignorant as having your chassis built by a mechanic instead of a chassis fabricator.
Originally Posted by superman1128
the car was driven through a flooded area which is why it sucked up water. it did bend a rod and when the water was drained and he tried running the car hebroke the rod bearing into thousands of small pieces which are all over the motor. I'm not doing the rebuild myself a friend father who's a mechanic it's going tu be there every step of the way helping us and teaching us. I just wanted some info on what people prefer. and if your time is so valuable don't waste it writing up crap bitchhibg about similar posts and just ignore it :-) have a nice day
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM
superman1128

dude first relax buddy lol second hes not just a mechanic I say mechanic but this guy builds custom kit cars and all sorts of **** he knows what hes doing I dropped the car off to him today and sunday we are starting cuz of the rain were putting it in his shop that he has in the back of his house but because of the rain we cant right now he has two lambo kit cars and a few others he needs to pull out in order to get the Z in and with the rain we cant leave those topless cars out. I was only asking for myself to get people opinons I have full confidence in this guy if you see the **** hes built you would understand. infact ill post some pictures of his garage when he start im sure people wouldn't mind looking at some dope as cars. he does these things as a hobby. Im sorry im not an expert I don't pretend tobe that's why I ask questions on forums and pick other peoples mind. but as far as sucking up water through a CAI it can happen I know people down here in Miami that its happen to. Im not saying the water caused the rod to break but that's what I know is most likely what all those small pieces of metal are.

ok im done ranting lol

Originally Posted by jerryd87
like i said unless it was 100% submerged this dint happen water is to heavy to get sucked up a tube and around a bunch of bends unless its atomized, and if its atomized it can ingest a ton of water and be absolutely fine. like i said there is several other places in the engine that is more likely that it went into the engine. i live in hawaii, where it rains in torrential down pours and ive driven though 6 inch deep pot holes when the was already 3 inchs of standing water and my intake is only about 7 inchs off the ground. like i said your story is bs, dont make comments about how you expect to get flamed for posting a stupid *** question then get butt hurt when it happens. get off your lazy *** and research, that or take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing because if your friends father knew he wouldnt need you to ask questions.

mechanic dosnt mean ****, mechanics repair things they dont build, theres a reason people take engines to engine builders and not mechanics, thats as ignorant as having your chassis built by a mechanic instead of a chassis fabricator.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
jerryd87

sorry but no you dont, the filter will prevent that from happening claim you have seen it all you want but there is no cai that defys physics, again if you learned to use that magical search button that also is something that has been covered. thats the whole point, quit expecting hand outs and search the information has been covered a million times, and people like you are why the platform is becoming absolute ****. want help? search first, cant search expect to get told off, dont want either? dont bother posting pay whoever your going to pay and just let them deal with everything.

what you have mentioned, without looking at it tells me its not "a broke bearing" or "shattered in a million pieces" it tells me a spun bearing, the only way water is going to cause that is if it goes into the oil.......... which dosnt happen from a cai sorry to break it to you. this says either someone drove it through several feet of water and are retarded for doing so, or you bought a car and got ripped off because it was a car that got parked and flooded over by several feet of water................ it has absolutely nothing to do with a cai, woulda happened with a stock airbox.

that or what is much much more likely is the car had a bunch of mods done, wasnt tuned and started detonating which hammered the bearings till one spun, thats just poor ownership.