Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
dailydriver350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What transmission?

I have a 2004 350Z enthusiast with a 2006 engine and I am looking at rebuilding or buying a transmission for it. What code trans should be in there? What transmission codes can be used as a replacement? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

stock trans will be a SE and the ones that can replace it are model ARCH
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

6mt or Barbie trans?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM
dailydriver350Z

6 Speed... Automatics are pointless in a vehicle like this. Those things are great for the quarter mile consistency, and a trans lock not a corner carver.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
dailydriver350Z

Originally Posted by jerryd87
stock trans will be a SE and the ones that can replace it are model ARCH

Cute I see you found the ID-10T Forms... lol

I'm new to this market and don't have a hoist in my yard yet or I wouldn't have asked. Cut me some slack I'm a muscle car guy. BTW if you need any Mopar knowledge I have many years of experience.

Last edited by dailydriver350Z; 06-05-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason he is giving you trouble is because you didn't even list automatic or manual.

Manual transmission is bulletproof. Use it and enjoy.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by dailydriver350Z
6 Speed... Automatics are pointless in a vehicle like this. Those things are great for the quarter mile consistency, and a trans lock not a corner carver.
HA ^, funny whenever someone says this.

Originally Posted by binder
The reason he is giving you trouble is because you didn't even list automatic or manual.

Not true. There have been two revisions to the manual transmission, the auto trans is bulletproof.

And to answer your question if you have a manual (which you seem to have), you need trans code CD009, its the newest and latest revision to the 350z manual trans

Last edited by stuartc323; 06-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
binder

Originally Posted by stuartc323

Not true. There have been two revisions to the manual transmission, the auto trans is bulletproof.

And to answer your question if you have a manual (which you seem to have), you need trans code CD009, its the newest and latest revision to the 350z manual trans
So you are trying to show someone who builds cars up on knowledge? There are 8 revisions if you want to be a dick about it. cd001-cd009. They were only revisions to the gear synchros and has nothing to do with the STRENGTH of the transmission. Synchros just allow the car to shift smoother without grinding. This can be performed with rev matching if a synchro wears out but it won't mean the transmission can't hold power.

So again, 6mt is bulletproof and has held over 1200hp to date. Earlier models did have some synchro issues but it was hit or miss if a transmission was affected by it.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
stuartc323

So you are trying to show someone who builds cars up on knowledge? There are 8 revisions if you want to be a dick about it. cd001-cd009. They were only revisions to the gear synchros and has nothing to do with the STRENGTH of the transmission. Synchros just allow the car to shift smoother without grinding. This can be performed with rev matching if a synchro wears out but it won't mean the transmission can't hold power.

So again, 6mt is bulletproof and has held over 1200hp to date. Earlier models did have some synchro issues but it was hit or miss if a transmission was affected by it.

IDGAF if you build cars, nobody was trying to be a dick, i was just disagreeing with ur statement, but you already made my point. If it was so bulletproof, you wouldnt have a grinding of gears when you shift, nor would they have to go thru 8 revisions to get it right.

but Binder is correct on the synchros grinding not affecting the power holding capabilities of the manual trans in the 350z, but i wouldnt necessarilly call the trans bulletproof because of the revisions and the synchros grinding, that is my opinion though.

Last edited by stuartc323; 06-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
NissanZguy

^This.

I've heard there's Z's in the 9's with the stock 6mt. DE Z's at that.

Last edited by NissanZguy; 06-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 AM
dailydriver350Z

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info gentlemen!

here is what I gathered, CD009 is the revision I have. But anything with an external slave can be used as a direct bolt on.

Curious though what causes 5&6 to grind before 1&2???

What's the average cost to rebuild the internals from your experiences. I have an arbor press and thinking about rebuilding it myself.

As far as clutches... ACT, Exedy, F1
What do you guys stand behind?
ACT... I hear broken fingers on pressure plates
Exedy... EXPENSIVE
F1... Ok I guess?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems noted w 5 and 6, most are noticed from 1-2 oddly enough
Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 PM
binder

The only synchros I've ever heard of issues with is 3rd and 5th. Never heard of it on the newest revision of cd009 though.

And synchros not properly rev matching has nothing to do with the transmission holding power for the comments above.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 PM
jerryd87

no actually i dint but i heard they where right next to the rolls of flight line and crates of grid squares,having a hoist(im going to make a educated guess that you mean jack......) has nothing with the ability to search the forums for a question that has been answered many many many many times. hell dont even need to search just go to a nissan parts site
Originally Posted by dailydriver350Z
Cute I see you found the ID-10T Forms... lol

I'm new to this market and don't have a hoist in my yard yet or I wouldn't have asked. Cut me some slack I'm a muscle car guy. BTW if you need any Mopar knowledge I have many years of experience.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 PM
jerryd87

you should seriously just quit posting between this and your "oil is oil" comments your looking like a damn fool. i suppose the 600+ hp builds that a stock 03/04 trans can handle(or the fact sp's was handling 1000 whp and dint break until 1250 hp and 28 inch slicks) is a myth just like fully built autos grenading above 550 is a myth too. your comments are a joke and you should just quit since its obvious you have no damn clue what your talking about, especially when the people your trying to tell they are wrong are people running 600+ whp builds.

as binder said the only change was syncros, and after checking into a few sources as well as actually viewing the gears and dealing with manufacturers who builds these gears the syncros are actually interchangeable so good job, your winning as much as a retard trying to drink from a water faucet.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-08-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 PM
jerryd87

again your retarded because the older revisions have held power too like i mentioned in my previous statement DIAF damn fool, shows you dont know a damn thing about cars, since a gear grinding in a shift has absolutely nothing to do with its power handling capabilitys it is nothing more then two gears trying to mesh at different speeds......... something the syncros are supposed to stop but rev matching does the exact same thing as a syncro. "bulletproof" is the fact it dosnt explode when launched or raced under high power. something all the 6 speeds will handle without any issues(especially since again everything inside the cd009 is exactly the same except the syncros obviously you have no clue what that is though.) vs the 5at that grenades itself.

god they should make me a mod so i can start banning all the retards who dont even know how to change oil but think they know how things work better then people who build them.
IDGAF if you build cars, nobody was trying to be a dick, i was just disagreeing with ur statement, but you already made my point. If it was so bulletproof, you wouldnt have a grinding of gears when you shift, nor would they have to go thru 8 revisions to get it right. My point is you could have clarified your statement, and stated that the NEW cd009 trans is bulletproof, which it is, and im sure thats the trans that held up to 1200hp.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by jerryd87
again your retarded because the older revisions have held power too like i mentioned in my previous statement DIAF damn fool, shows you dont know a damn thing about cars, since a gear grinding in a shift has absolutely nothing to do with its power handling capabilitys it is nothing more then two gears trying to mesh at different speeds......... something the syncros are supposed to stop but rev matching does the exact same thing as a syncro. "bulletproof" is the fact it dosnt explode when launched or raced under high power. something all the 6 speeds will handle without any issues(especially since again everything inside the cd009 is exactly the same except the syncros obviously you have no clue what that is though.) vs the 5at that grenades itself.

god they should make me a mod so i can start banning all the retards who dont even know how to change oil but think they know how things work better then people who build them.

It doesnt matter what u say bro, you couldnt beat me on the track so i dont care, you want to impress me with some knowledge, you could have approached me like Binder did and explained what he meant, but you can eat a bag of dicks, idgaf anything you have to say because you have oil leaking valves on a turbo Z and put the wrong oil in your ****, nothing you say will change my opinion of you, your a dumb ****. If you have something technical to provide to the community, without being a condescending ******** who thinks he knows some ****, than i will agree with you only on the sense that its for the community, go politely
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 PM
jerryd87

yah sure.......... whatever you say cant beat you and you have never seen me drive let alone know what my z is capable of. hell ill put money on the fact you dont even have a Z you talked **** to binder too so again DIAF. "oil leaking valves" what the **** does that even mean? your dumb *** is also wrong on "wrong oil" i put exactly what the car was built to run i make more power on pump then any other 3.5L Z or G that in itself proves enough and i have provide a vast amount to this community unlike yourself who is passing on bad information and telling the people who actually not only own Z's but high powered Z's that they are wrong. the proof is in the vehicles themselves, and that shows plain and simply your a idiot and wrong, because the cars themselves show your wrong. ask any of the regular FI guys and hell even non FI guys who browse the FI forum, i know my ****, i have contributed, i have no issues helping people when they search first and arnt know it all 17 year olds who really dont know **** and im not scared to tell someone off when they have no idea wtf they are talking about and try to spread it as fact like yourself. you havnt built a single engine or car let alone close to the number i have, ill bet a grand you havnt even worked on anything without supervision and someone telling you exactly what to do.

so next time you want to bad mouth not one but two FI regulars who actually build **** you might wanna search yourself to see what they have done, otherwise you look like a arrogant douche who dosnt know **** like you look right now. in fact looking at your profile the fact you actually bought one of those gimmick throttle body spacers reinforce's that point, combined with the fact you bought **** *** coilovers, as well as intake and exhaust mods(headers at under 500 and not even long tubes? really?) and no tune contribute further that your a hack with no clue. of course like i said i doubt you even have a z let alone one with the "mods" you have made. in fact looking at the threads you have posted up, you have made 0 contributions and every thread you have made is asking questions because you have no idea what your doing. so practice what you preach ***** and stfu
It doesnt matter what u say bro, you couldnt beat me on the track so i dont care, you want to impress me with some knowledge, you could have approached me like Binder did and explained what he meant, but you can eat a bag of dicks, idgaf anything you have to say because you have oil leaking valves on a turbo Z and put the wrong oil in your ****, nothing you say will change my opinion of you, your a dumb ****. If you have something technical to provide to the community, without being a condescending ******** who thinks he knows some ****, than i will agree with you only on the sense that its for the community, go politely

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-08-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:59 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual vs Auto...

Round 12,254,561!

*Ding!*
Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 AM
jerryd87

not really a comparison the fully built autos cant even handle half what the manuals do stock, even with syncro issues in the earlier versions there is absolutely no issue with them holding power especially since some people prefer to rev match anyway. my stock 03 trans has seen repeated abuse and no issues at 120k now, all ive done is change the fluid which dint look like it had ever been changed i dont even have syncro issues.
Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Manual vs Auto...

Round 12,254,561!

*Ding!*

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What transmission?