Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which Transmission in my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I went in with the assumption that Nissan designed good transmissions. I already own an older Celica which had a similar issue with the c60 transmission.

The only car I would move to is a wrx.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
You should get rid of your Z. By your comments you had no idea what platform you were getting in. Buy a civic think it will suite you better. Arigato
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I guess I went in with the assumption that Nissan designed good transmissions.

In general they do, I have owned a 1999 Altima 5MT,1999 Sentra SE 5MT and a 2000 G20 5MT all of which had no serious transmissions issues and I put close to 350K miles on those transmissions commuting back and forth due to work.

Every car maker has a design flaw they wish they could take back...its part of the game,not just Nissan.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM
oldschool350z

That is true a lot of car makers do have issues with each model built. I really just thought the 350z was built on a different platform and had a strong transmission.

I don't have a major issue currently with my Z, and don't anticipate I will. Only issue is driver window motor that is gone. I drive very low miles per year and my Z only has 48k now. Clutch is strong and no grinding or anything.

My Z will be paid off soon which is a plus.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 07-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So what color are you going to get? Its sounding like you've already got one foot in the door at the Subaru dealership.

^saw it on your site. No offense, but I would sell my Z before I had to replace the transmission. Plus I only put on 5,000 miles a year.
How fun would those 5k miles be if you went FI though? Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the transmission until it happens. If you're not abusing it chances are you'll never see a problem. If you do you can have mine after I upgrade.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by WeightLimit
So what color are you going to get? Its sounding like you've already got one foot in the door at the Subaru dealership.

How fun would those 5k miles be if you went FI though? Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the transmission until it happens. If you're not abusing it chances are you'll never see a problem. If you do you can have mine after I upgrade.
Ha I'm dead set on a wr blue basically their signature color. But they would get a ton of money out of me with financing, even with 20% down payment, 3% for the loan adds up quick as does tax.

I think driving in cali would be the best along the coast, beaches and palm trees. NY is nothing special at all. Florida is amazing as well, although I only have been to Orlando.. never Miami.

Sounds like a plan haha upgrade yours :P and like I said I'm just paranoid and expect the worst.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM
optimusprim3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. My intentions are just to have it and drive in the summer. I put very little miles on it, so putting a new or used transmission in and having it cost anything over $1,000-2,500 isnt feasible. I'd rather trade my Z in and have a car to drive all year round. I'm not going to do any mods to my Z, I like how it is stock.

I live in a place where winter is very bad and it's common to get a foot or two of snow over night. They also use salt on the roads which eats up the underbody and metal on the car.

I've been debating on getting rid of my z, for that fact. I simply don't drive it much as it's become more of a "toy" than a way of transportation.
'
I own a Z in Colorado dude. I guarantee our winters are harsher than NY's, and I drive my Z, M3 sport winter tires ftw.

Keep your Z, they're tougher than you think and who says who can't have both a toy and a way of transportation? How bad is your tranny really though? Mine grinded for a few days but I changed the tranny fluid and the diff fluid, now it's solid
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by optimusprim3
'
I own a Z colorado guarantee are harsher than NY's, my Z, M3 sport winter tires ftw.

Keep your Z, they're tougher than you think and who says who can't have both a toy and a way of transportation? How bad is your tranny really though? Mine grinded for a few days but I changed the tranny fluid and the diff fluid, now it's solid
Yeah that's true I guess it's a hassle to have and insure two cars, keep gas in both and such.

The main reason why winters suck up here is lake effect snow and the fact they use salt on the roads.

My transmission is strong and so is the clutch, no grinds or hesitation.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Touge Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have no problems with the transmission and clutch then keep the beast.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by Touge Z
if you have no problems with the transmission and clutch then keep the beast.
I test for it a lot basically go about 35 mph in 4th gear then floor it. Clutch has never slipped, and tranny never made noise. There's no grinds up or down shifting. Seems like it's perfect as can be. Maybe due to the low miles.

Having no car payment would be nice lol. Plus on a new car I would get raped with tax and financing.