Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wiring: Working gauges for LSX in 350z .....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 AM
gixxerbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring: Working gauges for LSX in 350z .....

This thread is for valuable information to be used by not only myself but all forum members.

i am starting this post since i have yet to find any DETAILED information on what it actually takes to wire a lsx harness into a 350z while retaining the factory cluster minus the tach. In particular im looking for the plug numbers, wire colors and DETAILED information on how to solder up the connections.

For the sake of argument lets assume:
A) the lsx Harness is a standalone and the GM ecu is reflashed, this is common/necessary for any lsx swap and information on this is pleantiful online, not 350z specific, and offered by numerous companies.
B) The nissan ecu will need to be reflashed and a CAN gateway will need to be installed by a company such as Hinson.
C) An aftermarket tach gauge will be the used (such as speedhut/autometer/.... commonly done in the swap) but the rest of the stock cluster is to be retained.

1) How and where does the lsx harness join the nissan harness? please include nissan plug numbers, nissan plug pinouts, pics and descriptions of wire purpose.
2) Has anyone done a lsx-350z wiring conversion without sending out the harness (probably sending out the ecu) wit good results and working factory gauges? how did you go about it?

i currently have a ls1 swapped 240sx with standalone harness and flashed gm ecu. what is the minimum aftermarket assistance it is going to take to DIY this conversion into a 350z?

3) Does anyone have the information needed to join the 2 harness's leaving only the ecu's to be modified by an aftermarket company?

4) Were is the CAN gateway placed? in the nissan ecu.... in the harness somewhere..... or in the gm ecu? who else offers it? any alternatives? what is the CAN gateway composed of?

Thanks for the help ahead of time. this could really become a thread of valuable information, possibly qualifying for a "STICKY:"

-GIXXERBOB
Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Pointless thread
Old 02-15-2014, 02:11 PM
gixxerbob

actually 2004black350z, its not pointless for those of us looking to do the swap and wanting to take pride in out work while at the same time saving ourselves a few hundred dollars and weeks of time. so far the only pointless part of this thread is you wasting your time to post your option, but thanks for your valuable input.

from now on could we keep the thread free and clear of the garbage posts, im looking to learn something and thought with all the information on this forum, this would be a place to do it.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

This is going to be extremely hard to do. You may only get half of what your asking since there are so many different harnesses/ecus/motors on the LSX side. So any plug identifiers on the ls side will not transfer from swap to swap. Also wire colors changed on the nissan side throughout the years and is vastly different between auto/manual.

your speedo will work as long as you have a functioning BCM/ABS as the speed sensors are the same.

You already mentioned a different tach. simply hook the yellow wire on the speedhut gauge to the tack signal on your LS ecu. te hook up your constant, switched and ground wires to where-ever you wish to source them.

your fuel gauge will still work.

If you dont hack out the wires you can get adapters to utilize the stock nissan oil psi and water temp sensors and run those as normal.

There is no point to a can gateway and there is no need to reflash your ECU as long as you still have your keys.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM
gixxerbob

i have a standalone ls harness (and its easy enough to make/purchase/deal with for other swappers) so i dont need any of the GM plug/pinout information.
in reference to the color change of wires throughout the different years, if someone knows the wiring information and post any color related info please specify the year and transmission option you are talking about.

what exactly does the CAN gateway do? or better yet, why do certain companies say its needed?
i thought the CAN gateway was similar to a dakota digital that changed the signal from GM to NISSAN
am i allowed to post a link to hinson's website on this forum?

my 1995 240sx is opposite, the tach runs fine off of the GM signal but i need a dakota digital (sgi-5) to make the speedo work.

does sikky require your nissan ecu or CAN gateway when you have them do a harness conversion?

Last edited by gixxerbob; 02-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

I just plug my ecu in and it works.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
gixxerbob

2004black350z, who did your harness? did you "HAVE T0" send them your nissan ecu, or was it more of an optinal thing. Was a CAN gateway installed? do you run both ecu's or just the GM ecu?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 AM
armt350z

LOL, He is trolling you. He isn't doing the swap anymore and is now campaigning against it.

The reason your 240 worked is because your tach used a 4 pulse per rev and the gm motor and most 4 bangers put out a 4 pulse per rev signal for rpm. You needed the sgi-5 to up or downscale your speed signal off the trans to make it match.

If you reuse the oem Z sensors and swap the tach you shouldn't need a can gateway to make the gauges work. One other note on that gateway, its been listed by hinson and I think chasebays but to my knowledge no one in the community has ever seen or touched a working one. I would be suspect of hinson only because they made vague wild claims in the RX7 swap community and did not live up to the promises.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

True I was trolling. But Def not against. I just know and as anyone can see people are not posting how to do these things bc it has taken them 100s of thousand of hours of trial and error and shops member aren't gonna just tell you da vinci code. Good luck I'll stop trolling in here.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 AM
gixxerbob

Ok, so with the use of a
* standalone harness (custom or modified)
* dakota digital sgi-5 (speedometer interface/converter)
* 350z oil pressure (oem sensor, plug, and wiring from plug to chassis)
* 350z water temp (oem sensor, plug, and wiring from plug to chassis)
The only information needed is where to splice the GM harness into the NISSAN.

That CAN gateway information really threw me for a loop. Aparently its no different than wiring a 240sx.

Are there any lights on the dash that are going to light up since im not using the CAN gateway system with nissan ecu? ......maybe sikky swap users could chime in?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is absolutely no different than wiring in a haltech or anything other piggyback ECU.

You run the wires to the coolant sensor, air temp sensor, injectors, coils, and knock sensor to the GM ECU. Everything else stays on the stock Nissan ECU.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone been able to successfully retain the nissan abs? traction control can be had in quite a few different aftermarket ecu's, and the vdc can go to hell in my opinion, but my main concern is the abs. in most cars it can run separate with it's own module, but not sure how it is integrated to the nissan engine ecu if it is.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 AM
bbs350z

the abs i believe is seperate. however because the vdc/tcs is removed (as well as the ecu pins for that) ou can brakeboost and do standing burnouts.

op, as far as i recall, the z ecu is basicall there for the coolant gauge. i got rid of m z ecu and am running aftermarket coolant setup.

on a sidenote, the wiring that was done on my car is m only concern. i will wait to see when the time comes f it will fire up. but any wiring info here is greatl appreciated should i need it in the near future
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
overZealous1

i guess i need to wait until the car is here. i'm sure i could find pinouts for both nissan and gm ecu's. i would also like to keep the cruise control with the gm ecu. it would need to have the wheel sensor info from the nissan sensors. wonder also if it would be easier to just swap over the the gm abs system?
if the nissan wheels sensors can be used into the gm body module also, then i think it could work to keep abs, traction control, and cruise. it would just be the gm version of those not nissans.

i will be buying a complete lift out engine and trans with ecu, wiring, accessories, and pedal so i shouldn't have any wiring issues. it is more so trying to max out the capabilities of each ecu. i am looking at doing a truck l33 with a 6l80e trans.

Last edited by overZealous1; 03-27-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 PM
gixxerbob

does anyone have the pinout for the f1, f2, f3 plugs, or their corresponding e10, e11, e12 plugs? all located next to the battery
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
gixxerbob

how did you get your factory water temp gauge working? I followed the stock z33 water temp sensor to the ecu but how does the h2o gauge get the signal from the ecu? through the can system?

do I need to screw with the fuel pump relay to make it kick on the pump? I had to reverse the signal on my 240sx when I went lsx cause the gm ecu put out positive and the Nissan put out ground in order to turn on the pump.

does anyone have the f102 or m72 pinout?

although I need to use a Dakota digital for the speedo and speed hut gauge for the tach, where do I wire in the two wires I have from my standalone harness? can I do it through the f1,f2,f3,f102 plugs?
where do I splice in the Dakota digital?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
armt350z

The CANbus transmits the water temp sensor from what I recall. I'll look at my notes when I get home.

Why would you need the DD SGI? I cant remember if you removed your /ECU/ABS/BCM but the wheel sensors all feed there and feed the speedo from wheel sensors. if you have not removed those then the speedo should work.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 AM
armt350z

Just got around to digging up my old schematics. The fuel gauge is the only gauge that uses a "normal" pos/gnd wire signal until it gets to the unified meter.

The coolant and tach both go from motor to ecm and then outputs through the CANbus to the unified meter control unit.

The speedo signal comes through the abs wheel sensors then into the canbus.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
gixxerbob

thanks armt350z

how did you run the wires to your tach and water temp gauge, straight from the harness to the gauges themselves?
if so I assume the easiest/cleanest way to get the check engine light working properly would be to run the check engine signal off the engine harness straight to the light in the dash?
are there no plugs to splice into that would be real clean looking and easy to disconnect if I needed to pull my engine harness?

is there any trick to getting the fuel pump to work? do both GM and Nissan use a positive to turn on the fuel pump?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:56 PM
gixxerbob

also, does the volt gauge work without any signal from either engine harness? or do I need the wiring from the alternator to signal the volt gauge?

Quick Reply: Wiring: Working gauges for LSX in 350z .....