Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stock intake modification. VQ35DE +32 hp

Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Stock intake modification. VQ35DE +32 hp

So I get PM's a lot about my motor.

I have a build thread detailing what I've been up to for the past two years, but most people don't know about it. So this is a brief aside on the most PM'ed about topic.

So. Pictures.

Stock Manifold. Gutted. No name brand plenum spacer. The more volume the better. Enlarged neck with less angle. Required slight bending of firewall around compartment that encloses the brake fluid reservoir etc. Easy to do.

3.5" intake tube and filter with uprev maf. aluminum housing welded into tube.

I chose the NWP throttle body because its larger and plug and play. There have been a lot of problems trying to incorporate other throttle bodies and I want reliability. The NWP throttle body could be ported as well if I decided to go that far. So far it's worked well through lots of abuse.

Big air filter.

Fab work done locally by Cyrious Garageworks.

Engine built and tuned by Sasha Anis, ONPOINT DYNO and Race Service.

dotted line before the mods. Solid line after. (also, switched to a better brand of race fuel with the same octane rating for the highest pull, that accounted for some gains as well)

Name:  huhtgg_zpsd6a0289f.jpeg
Views: 4277
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  gygyg_zpsd5dc0f69.jpeg
Views: 4384
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  uhhhu_zpsee3d101d.jpeg
Views: 5499
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  image3_zps9cb3224f.jpeg
Views: 5032
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  MikeGardner_14_04_14_zps88012085.jpg
Views: 3945
Size:  100.1 KB

stupid video I just posted.

outside car. (My first couple laps at Road Atlanta, I had no idea what I was doing yet)

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:06 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

awesomeness. I want one.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is Sasha's old built VQ35DE, the one that made 372 whp right? Wasn't the car making 315whp with the normal plenum?

Car sounds great btw.

Last edited by mcarther101; 08-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by mcarther101
This is Sasha's old built VQ35DE, the one that made 372 whp right? Wasn't the car making 315whp with the normal plenum?

Car sounds great btw.
Yes it is his old motor. He is also tuning the car. 372 whp was on ITBs.
But this is his old stock plenum as well. I just bought it off of him.

I am unsure of what his power numbers were over time. But we both expected my car to make a little more power then it did.

But there are some differences in our set up still. Like I am on a smaller exhaust. smaller injectors. stuff like that.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to learn how to weld. That would be stupid easy to reproduce.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Aluminum brazing rods and a torch
Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 PM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think that intake is simple to reproduce you would be incorrect unfortunately. There is a lot of time in that thing.

OP: the dashed lines, what fuel was used for that dyno?

Also, great to see you are racing the car regularly, do you participate in CASC-OR road racing with the car, or just CSCS Time attack? I'd like to try time attack next season a time or two, I"ve seen your name on the results lists in the class I"d be in,

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-13-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:11 PM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by TunerMax
If you think that intake is simple to reproduce you would be incorrect unfortunately. There is a lot of time in that thing.

OP: the dashed lines, what fuel was used for that dyno?

Also, great to see you are racing the car regularly, do you participate in CASC-OR road racing with the car, or just CSCS Time attack? I'd like to try time attack next season a time or two, I"ve seen your name on the results lists in the class I"d be in,
I did CSCS time attack and Global Time Attack this year. Not sure what I'd do next year?
I run SSR in CSCS and I'd be in SGT1 in Ontario Time Attack.

The fuel was originally Pro racing fuels mark 2, 110 octane.
Then I switched to Shellbourne 110 Octane.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
I did CSCS time attack and Global Time Attack this year. Not sure what I'd do next year?
I run SSR in CSCS and I'd be in SGT1 in Ontario Time Attack.

The fuel was originally Pro racing fuels mark 2, 110 octane.
Then I switched to Shellbourne 110 Octane.
Ahhh right on, I'd be SR, still running RS3's on my G sedan. SGT3 for mine as it sits this year.

Thanks for clarifying, now that I am on the computer I see that's actually posted in Sasha's dyno comparison, sorry for missing it. That is a wild increase in power from just the intake and 75mm TB! Maybe I should bother Joe to make another one lol
Old 09-14-2014, 08:19 AM
XChacalX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much peoples are ready to spend for this kind of Intake plenum setup either in the 75mm TB (3'inch) form or for an 90mm TB setup (3.5inch).
A friend of mine requested me to make one for Christmas but if there is an interest I could make more.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by XChacalX
I wonder how much peoples are ready to spend for this kind of Intake plenum setup either in the 75mm TB (3'inch) form or for an 90mm TB setup (3.5inch).
A friend of mine requested me to make one for Christmas but if there is an interest I could make more.
Anything non- PnP will have a very small number of interested people. At this time that means 75mm is the biggest we can do without having bugs to work out (unless I'm unaware of another PnP)
Also, it seems to make a decent intake for our cars and make it possible to reproduce it, would be difficult to price under $1000, and that's if you have it made in China.
Add to that the fact that everyone wants it to be pretty as well as functional and it's not hard to see why our options are expensive, and limited on this platform.

I'm working on modifying a currently mass produced intake for our cars, but because of my car's setup, and my lack of a shop/time, if it comes into reality, there won't be plausible dynos. HOWEVER, if it works easily enough, I might be able to devise a 'kit' to convert it yourself. We'll see what happens, at this time I don't even know if it's going to produce gains that are worth the time/effort.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM
XChacalX

Anything non- PnP will have a very small number of interested people. At this time that means 75mm is the biggest we can do without having bugs to work out (unless I'm unaware of another PnP)
Also, it seems to make a decent intake for our cars and make it possible to reproduce it, would be difficult to price under $1000, and that's if you have it made in China.
Add to that the fact that everyone wants it to be pretty as well as functional and it's not hard to see why our options are expensive, and limited on this platform.

I'm working on modifying a currently mass produced intake for our cars, but because of my car's setup, and my lack of a shop/time, if it comes into reality, there won't be plausible dynos. HOWEVER, if it works easily enough, I might be able to devise a 'kit' to convert it yourself. We'll see what happens, at this time I don't even know if it's going to produce gains that are worth the time/effort.

This is why I am offering two version of what 2TH PWR has.
Option 1 ; that has a reducer from 3.5'' down to a 75mm flange for the OEM or Maxima09+ TB
or
Option 2 ; No TB flange welded for you to decided on your end of which kind of TB / flange you want to go.

Price range is less than 1000$
Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM
TunerMax

That's awesome man! I misread your post and did not realize this was something you were actually thinking of making. Where are you located? Your basically going to just copy the intake design shown here, is that the idea? If so that's awesome dude, I'm very excited to see if, and what you come up with for this.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM
XChacalX

That's awesome man! I misread your post and did not realize this was something you were actually thinking of making. Where are you located? Your basically going to just copy the intake design shown here, is that the idea? If so that's awesome dude, I'm very excited to see if, and what you come up with for this.

Yes the idea is to reproduce the intake plenum with the help of 2TH PWR.

Since I will have the '' original '' which was actually a prototype to prove Sasha's research when he was doing his hunt for HP without using an ITB setup.

I will be able to reproduce it and do some possible tweaking to it depending how easy and possible my capable hand can be

One detail is, I want it to be done in a way to avoid having the bent the ABS / Master Clutch cylinder compartment. As it is currently with his current upper plenum.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
TunerMax

Haha sounds good dude. I know the guy who made it, not that it should make a difference, but feel free to PM me about it I'd love to follow the progress

edited

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-15-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whatever happened to the Carbotron manifold? He still have it 2TH PWR?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM
1cockyZ

The stock intake was literally stock airbox, stock z tube, stock maf housing, stock tb, no spacer of any kind? This engine also has some large cams?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 PM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Whatever happened to the Carbotron manifold? He still have it 2TH PWR?

the Carbotron plenum was made before Sasha hacked up his OEM plenum that 2TH PWR now has...

From what I gathered & remember from the discussion was, it wasn't strong enough and would need to be reinforced ....
the cheaper way was to tweak the stock aluminum upper plenum.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
The stock intake was literally stock airbox, stock z tube, stock maf housing, stock tb, no spacer of any kind? This engine also has some large cams?
This isn't an answer per-say, and I'm not singling you out whatsoever

There's a simple, overlooked truth to intake manifolds that has hindered companies, and individuals from making them, or trying to sell them, and that is the fact that most Z/G guys insist on seeing an intake manifold that they can just slap on their car and gain massive power.
Well, the truth is, that an intake manifold swap (aside from a spacer) is generally something only done by guys who are going to, at minimum, have at least an extended RPM limit, if not headers, long tubes, cams, and so forth.
The engine is one big pump, it's not a calculation of a + b = POWAHHHH, it's a + b + c, and so on. You need the whole thing. If you have an intake that flows awesome, but it's choked off by our tiny little throttle body, or by the stock exhaust and cams, you are never going to get anywhere.

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-16-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Yep. the dashed line was all stock as you describe.

the solid is the 3.5" intake. new uprev gt maf. nwp throttlebody. and modified plenum.

both pulls on 110 octane althought one brand was better than the other.

My engine is still in need of more air, and a better Y pipe and larger single exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock intake modification. VQ35DE +32 hp