Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil consumption fixes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:38 PM
allmycarsdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption fixes.

Ive seen tons of oil burning on here but never any solution posts. My problem has gotten to the point where fixing it is going to be worth the time and effort in the coming months. With my job I can't really be out of the car for more than a week and I can't just ditch the Z because I just bought it less than a year ago. My options, with my budget as I see are as follows.

1. Buy a used engine, drop around 1.5k and .5k fixing the minor issues used engines have. Problem is I'm not experienced with that. I'm confident in my ability to do the swap but not very quickly.

2. Buy new heads, drop $500 on rebuilt ones with all parts, drop $750 on gaskets, timing chain, other things that should be replaced.

3. Hope I'm right that it's just the valve seals and swap those along with the timing chain for around $400.

4. Find some cheap piece of sh** car that runs and surrender my Z plates while still making payments on it and selling my body on the streets in an effort to one day fix my Z with the cost of another car.

5. Pray to the japanese gods that my engine lasts long enough for me to just save enough to fully build my ran to hell engine in say a year.

None of these seem to have the pros outweighing the cons at all. The cheaper fixes still leave me with a 150k mile bottom end that might be drinking nearly as much oil as my top end and the expensive fixes are well, timely and expensive. If I eat ramen everyday I can manage to save about $550 a month and I currently have 1k.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Last edited by allmycarsdie; 02-13-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The other option is to purchase a rebuilt engine with a warranty and pay a shop to install it for you. Costs more, but if you schedule it right the downtime will be less as well. Otherwise, #4 looks like your best bet.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:04 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

When your car broke down did it end up being the CPS sensor? How much oil is it burning now? Are there other issues that are causing you to want a new engine, which is the feeling im getting based on your posts?

How ultra pissed would you be if it still ran crap after the repairs?

You need money for repairs bottom line, and there is no easy solution if youve exhausted all the easy ones. So either live with it until you can afford the repairs (paying a shop to install a rebuild motor with a warranty is by far the best option for you), or get another car and/or get rid of the Z.

Or better yet, do a little planning and sell yours plus "invest" the additional money you would have put into repairs, into a Z that actually runs. And stay in the Z family, which I always highly encourage. Unless you are upside down (likely if you financed), which makes it more difficult to extract the max equity from your current Z, esp if it isnt running right.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I've had several cars that needed a pint top off every week. If it runs well and you don't want to spend money, don't.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM
allmycarsdie

Originally Posted by guitman32
When your car broke down did it end up being the CPS sensor? How much oil is it burning now? Are there other issues that are causing you to want a new engine, which is the feeling im getting based on your posts?

How ultra pissed would you be if it still ran crap after the repairs?

You need money for repairs bottom line, and there is no easy solution if youve exhausted all the easy ones. So either live with it until you can afford the repairs (paying a shop to install a rebuild motor with a warranty is by far the best option for you), or get another car and/or get rid of the Z.

Or better yet, do a little planning and sell yours plus "invest" the additional money you would have put into repairs, into a Z that actually runs. And stay in the Z family, which I always highly encourage. Unless you are upside down (likely if you financed), which makes it more difficult to extract the max equity from your current Z, esp if it isnt running right.
Yeah it was just the cam sensor, I went ahead and replaced them both. Its burning about a quart a week. I can install the new motor myself with a bit of easy and the fsm but I just wanted some opinions. My main goal is basically to turn b.s. into an excuse to upgrade the car. If I sold, even privately I'd make say 6k and I still owe 6.5k. I have decent credit, only 700 due to low history, but I really do enjoy working on my car and wouldn't mind doing the swap/rebuild/repairs. Just worried about time needed vs. how worth it it is to go the extra mile with fixing it all. I make enough to where I could throw 5k into the engine if given 6 months but will it last six months? All I ask is some other opinions to weigh besides my own.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM
allmycarsdie

Originally Posted by jhc
I've had several cars that needed a pint top off every week. If it runs well and you don't want to spend money, don't.
I'm leaning most towards this, or buying the new one, doing the swap, and then fully building my current one. My plan in buying a high mileage Z was always that old parts need to be replaced and I would upgrade every time something gets bad. I just didn't expect the engine would crap out until at least 175k at worst.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Same advice applies as in your other thread, reinforced by jhc...if the only thing you are having to do is add oil...then just add oil.

Cheapest solution by a long shot and yes, if you buy any used motor you run the risk of having the same issues.

Which is why unless you are prepared shop/tools/time wise to undertake an engine swap by yourself, the best option is to buy reman with a warranty and get a shop to install so you have recourse if things dont work out the first time.