Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Flooring first gear leads to clutch engagement problems PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM
George's350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flooring first gear leads to clutch engagement problems PLEASE HELP

Alright guys I have recently came up with a problem that I'm hoping might be a simple slave cylinder or master cylinder problem. Kind of hoping its nothing internal. Here is my problem. Regularly driving my car on a day to day basis seems to have no problem at all. Everything is fine. But just recently I have been getting comfortable with the car and going wide open throttle on first gear to test my Nismo LSD. Today I floored first gear all the way to around 7500rpm and tried to go into second. Stick shift didn't go into second at all until the rpm drops. From there everything seems to go to ****. Trying to get the car to move from a dead stop will cause the clutch to hop a lot which it doesn't normally do. I would have to give it a little extra gas and still you notice a slight vibration. So instead of parking the car, today I kept driving the car hard on an empty road to test if the clutch is slipping or if the synchros are bad. I tested the clutch by putting it into a high gear and giving it gas, which everything seemed fine. Then to test the synchros, I put the car into second, went to about 6000-7000 rpm and put it into 6th. Everything seemed fine as well with no grinding or anything. I continued to drive the car hard and now the stick shift won't go into any gear at all!! If it does go into gear it will stay at its rpm as if my foot is off the clutch WHICH ITS NOT! In other words, it seems as if the clutch isn't disengaging all the way for it to go into gear. I parked the car in the drive way, couldn't even get it into the garage because it wouldn't go into first at all. I turned the car off, waited 20 minutes, put the car in first and attempted to turn the car on, which it turned but I didn't keep going because first gear was engaged so the whole car shook. I put it into neutral and turned the car on and went for a drive. Now the gears went in normally but I haven't gone hard on it.

Yesterday it kind of did the same thing when I floored 1st but I got home and just put it into the garage. Drove it this morning and everything seemed fine. BASICALLY everything goes to **** the harder I go on 1st gear, from there the clutch gets to the point where gears won't engage and clutch won't disengage to let the stick shift in. sorry for the long post PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Bleed the slave first.

07 and 08 cars are known to have slave problems. If the bleed doesn't fix it, I bet you will need to replace the slave
The following users liked this post:
George's350z (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 PM
George's350z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Bleed the slave first.

07 and 08 cars are known to have slave problems. If the bleed doesn't fix it, I bet you will need to replace the slave
Thanks! I just realized I have to drop the transmission to change the slave on my car! What a bummer... :/ no one has a slave cylinder change How-To?
Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

There's an amazing search function on this site.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

ugh, this is one of "those guys". your slave is probably going out, replace with the zspeed heavy duty one with the wilwood master and never look back. if you replace it with oem, you will end up doing it again.

how to
- drop driveshaft
- disconnect all sensors
- drop trans
- swap slave
- reverse order to put back together
- bleed clutch
- dont be a douche on the streets
Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 AM
George's350z

Originally Posted by travlee
ugh, this is one of "those guys". your slave is probably going out, replace with the zspeed heavy duty one with the wilwood master and never look back. if you replace it with oem, you will end up doing it again.

how to
- drop driveshaft
- disconnect all sensors
- drop trans
- swap slave
- reverse order to put back together
- bleed clutch
- dont be a douche on the streets

That's exactly what I'm going to be doing. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM
travlee
Master

i had mine go out 6 weeks after buying the car, i bitched at the dealership and they finally ended up replacing it, but with oem.... like 6 months later it went out again
Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
There's an amazing search function on this site.
The problem I have with guys pushing this "Use the search"... Is when you actually google it your self. You run into 500 threads of people saying "Use the search!"...

That's the only reason I joined this site is because every thread I found for my self via google was with no resulting answer and everyone posting "Use the search".

Its just as easy for them to use the search as it is for guys to skip and not post in a redundant thread that's a "waste of their time".
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM
travlee
Master

learn how to google, (sounds like i am being a dick, but i am not)

on google, type whatever you are searching for and add site:my350z.com to the end of it...when you do that you get better results

Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Im just saying, guys think they are helping clear the forum when doing this. But in the long term it actually clogs up the forums more because for us "novis" googlers. We get dead threads with "Use the search function" and have to come here anyways.

Rather than being able to find multiple threads easily with several different answers to base a best possible solution to our problem.

Also sometimes I set up threads with a simple question, but knowing I will probably have a related question during install or down the road I can instead of starting my search all over again. Can just ask in my related thread with my exact question, than rely on someone elses.

Im just saying, think of it from the other way around. And again, your just going to bring MORE threads in the long run typing that. Because most people will just say screw the search with the perfect wording. Ill just ask my self.

Just an opinion from a retired Mod from a couple other forums and a avid forum user since 07 with probably over 100k posts on various forums.. Its better just to not answer or find the old thread and post the exact link to the answer for future searchers who may come across the same question. Also increases the number of information threads to refer to in the future.

But I know the annoyance of repetitive threads. I remember on one forum I was a moderator for, every time anew product dropped we would have 2 full pages of the same questions about them for weeks. Was such a pain to condense them into master threads lol
Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 AM
George's350z

i had mine go out 6 weeks after buying the car, i bitched at the dealership and they finally ended up replacing it, but with oem.... like 6 months later it went out again
I ordered the zspeed slave and wildwood master which is coming in today but I'm second guessing myself that thats even the problem. Wouldn't I have a spongy clutch pedal or losing clutch fluid if the slave is gone bad? My pedal barely feels any different and my fluid reservoir didn't change. Today I woke up and literally a minute after letting the car warm up, I couldn't go into 3rd gear at high rpms.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 AM
travlee
Master

trust me, it is the problem
The following users liked this post:
George's350z (02-25-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 PM
George's350z

Alright guys I just finished upgrading the slave cylinder and I change the master cylinder with all the hard lines. I went for a little drive and there's no clutch HOP anymore so I think I definitely solved my problem but I didn't go hard on it because I don't think I properly Bled the system. the oil in the reservoir dropped from Max to minimum after the drive and the clutch doesn't feel as stiff as I think it's supposed to. Now that the car is at my house rather than the shop I'm going to lift it tomorrow and attempt to bleed it again. Is the clutch supposed to get stiffer and stiffer eventually reaching its full stiffness as I'm bleeding the system?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 PM
George's350z

Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 PM
travlee
Master

bleed again, it should resolve your problem... you have someone helping you right? the last one i did we drained the reservoir 3-4 times before it was properly done
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
travlee
Master

btw, your car looks just like mine did when i bought it
Old 02-28-2016, 01:52 PM
George's350z

bleed again, it should resolve your problem... you have someone helping you right? the last one i did we drained the reservoir 3-4 times before it was properly done

Damn. Then I stopped way too soon. Retrying it tonight. THANKS!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:56 PM
travlee
Master

did you use all the new lines, if so i guarantee there is air.... the new lines are thicker and longer so it takes a bit of fluid
Old 02-28-2016, 02:56 PM
George's350z

Yes I did.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM
George's350z

So after I bled the system I went for a drive and it is still doing the same exact thing. Like I said, in high gears it does not go into gear. And now today when I went to go to work it wouldn't go into gear at all. So now I guess it stuck at the garage. I'm sure I bled the system properly because when I went for a drive the oil didn't go down in the reservoir at all and the clutch is a bit stiffer. Another thing I noticed is I can't hear my lightweight flywheel. Usually it makes a sound and when I push the clutch in the sound stops now it doesn't make a sound at all.

Quick Reply: Flooring first gear leads to clutch engagement problems PLEASE HELP