Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LSD Upgrade for Base Model Open Diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM
nickpin12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Upgrade for Base Model Open Diff

Hey all,
I just bought a 2008 base model with the open differential. I am thinking about upgrading to a lsd, either out of a higher trim model 350 or an aftermarket company. 1.5 way seems best for me but I am not an expert in any way on differentials so if anyone could please offer advise on the swap that would be helpful.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by nickpin12; 03-25-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: wanted to add a thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 06:39 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If you have a 6 speed your best bet is find a 370z 6 speed rear diff because it has a little better gears... Other then that z1 has lots of options for you... Check them out.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:41 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...al-p-9075.html

The Bears
Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

VSLD = 30% locking, doesn't like to lock all the time. Better than open but not that great. can be overpowered. IMO if you can get one for like 200 bucks, do it its worth it, but if you are spending like 500+ install price, just save and get a real LSD.

Helictical = 50/50% locking (up too) No parts to wear out, acts as an open diff if one tire is in the air. IMO the best for set and forget, it works nothing to replace other than occasional fluid changes.(Quaife)

Clutch type = Adjustable, Clutch packs can wear. IMO this is best if you are racing seriously and need to control the power at a more fine level. (Nismo GT Pro, OS Giken)
Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Aftermarket diff is night and day over the 2 stock systems.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by NiLL
VSLD = 30% locking, doesn't like to lock all the time. Better than open but not that great. can be overpowered. IMO if you can get one for like 200 bucks, do it its worth it, but if you are spending like 500+ install price, just save and get a real LSD.

Helictical = 50/50% locking (up too) No parts to wear out, acts as an open diff if one tire is in the air. IMO the best for set and forget, it works nothing to replace other than occasional fluid changes.(Quaife)

Clutch type = Adjustable, Clutch packs can wear. IMO this is best if you are racing seriously and need to control the power at a more fine level. (Nismo GT Pro, OS Giken)
The WaveTrac will continue to drive one wheel if the other is in the air, but the Quaife won't.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 PM
nickpin12

Alright, I don't need anything super intensive as I don't track or drift the car (yet). Also, there are other modifications I'd like to buy as well, so besides traction in cornering, will this benefit wheel horsepower at all or no?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:41 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by nickpin12
Alright, I don't need anything super intensive as I don't track or drift the car (yet). Also, there are other modifications I'd like to buy as well, so besides traction in cornering, will this benefit wheel horsepower at all or no?
Ummmm no, but if you change your gears it will feel like you gained some power... All it will help with is traction, and if you get the 2 way or welded diff it will help with drifting.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Coming from somebody who has been down this road, go right to an aftermarket diff.

I installed a VLSD that had about 30k miles on it, and it probably ran at "100%" for one year. Then it slowly turned into an open diff.

The good thing was that I kept my open diff, called Z1, and sent my OEM pumpkin for them to install a Quaife.

Now it is sitting in my garage waiting for me to install. Tax season is kicking my *** so I have to wait until after April 18th, since right now I'm working 7 days a week.

I had gotten the VLSD for about $250 in a pumpkin, and it wasn't bad, especially since I did the installation myself. But it was a pain, and for the headache, if I could do it all again, I would have waited and just went right to the Quaife.

I am sure my feelings will be even stronger once I install the Quaife, but I am already very tired of the weak VLSD.
The following users liked this post:
nickpin12 (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Coming from somebody who has been down this road, go right to an aftermarket diff.

I installed a VLSD that had about 30k miles on it, and it probably ran at "100%" for one year. Then it slowly turned into an open diff.

The good thing was that I kept my open diff, called Z1, and sent my OEM pumpkin for them to install a Quaife.

Now it is sitting in my garage waiting for me to install. Tax season is kicking my *** so I have to wait until after April 18th, since right now I'm working 7 days a week.

I had gotten the VLSD for about $250 in a pumpkin, and it wasn't bad, especially since I did the installation myself. But it was a pain, and for the headache, if I could do it all again, I would have waited and just went right to the Quaife.

I am sure my feelings will be even stronger once I install the Quaife, but I am already very tired of the weak VLSD.
Did you end up getting the package I linked? Like $2000 for the whole shabang? I kinda want 4.08 gears and a real limited slip also. Plus my bushing is blown to **** so theirs that... I also have an extra pumpkin I can send them.. But how much was shipping for that heavy bastard? I can barely move that awkward sob around without some help.

The vlsd should stand for very limited slip differential... After 75k miles im pretty sure mine is an open diff at this point.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I plan to get the Quaife cause you install and forget. Change the fluid when you change the trans

And for the Vlsd. It's a ****ing joke. Back in my 240 days we swap VLSD out of other cars and they worked 2% of the time for a month or so. I figured it was cause the cars were just as old as mine

Years later I'm in a 350 with the stock Vlsd and suffer the same open diff problems. It works occasionally at best. Just Did ONE track event and then It didnt work at all for months. Now back to working once every 50 times
Old 03-26-2016, 09:10 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
The WaveTrac will continue to drive one wheel if the other is in the air, but the Quaife won't.
Quaife's own website says it will act like an open diff if one tire is in the air.

Last edited by NiLL; 03-26-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM
nickpin12

Alright, so would it better to just switch the gearing in my pumpkin now to lsd gearing? Or am i better off buying a 1.5 way pumpkin and gearing, like tomei or quaife? I want something that isn't noisy and will be good on the street. Like I said I'm not trying to drift it or track it anytime soon, and I'd still like to drive it in the rain without too many problems.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Did you end up getting the package I linked? Like $2000 for the whole shabang? I kinda want 4.08 gears and a real limited slip also. Plus my bushing is blown to **** so theirs that... I also have an extra pumpkin I can send them.. But how much was shipping for that heavy bastard? I can barely move that awkward sob around without some help.

The vlsd should stand for very limited slip differential... After 75k miles im pretty sure mine is an open diff at this point.
I got it before this package was available, but more or less the same.

I spent in the ballpark of 2k total for EVERYTHING, including shipping back and forth and Z1 installing the diff.

My package includes the Quaife, new OEM bearings and seals, Z1 extended diff cover, Whiteline bushings, and Motul 75w140. Stayed with the stock gearing since it's a DD with occasional AutoX, although I do want to get into HPDE this year.

Originally Posted by nickpin12
Alright, so would it better to just switch the gearing in my pumpkin now to lsd gearing? Or am i better off buying a 1.5 way pumpkin and gearing, like tomei or quaife? I want something that isn't noisy and will be good on the street. Like I said I'm not trying to drift it or track it anytime soon, and I'd still like to drive it in the rain without too many problems.
The main thing is your budget. If you can drop 2 grand, then I would go Quaife. The reason I went with it is because it is quiet, streetable, easy to maintain, great warranty, but also takes abuse when it is being pushed (this is what I gathered from the research I did)

If you can't drop 2 grand, then a VLSD will be okay. It is much better than the open diff, but there are times when mine acts just like my open diff did. But for $250, I can't really complain. It did it's job, and it lasted for a few years. This was the first year that it really went to hell, so had a solid 3-4 years with 0 issues.
The following users liked this post:
nickpin12 (03-27-2016)