Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New 350 or keep my current one

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Goodolejim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 350 or keep my current one

I have a 08 auto enthusiast and want a manual, i dabble in getting sideways. I'm going to be buying a vk56de in the near future most likely for a swap and was curious on if it's smarter to get a manual trans and swap it in at the same time or should I trade my auto in for a manual then just swap the necessary parts to get the engine running? I know if I wasn't doing a engine swap it's a no brainer to just do the trade in but since I'm doing the vk56de does that change anything or is it smarter to just do the trade in then swap and keep the 07 manual transmission with the VK in there. I'm going to be going f/I aiming for about 700whp, would the stock 07 trans hold or would a diff transmission be preferable? If so what are the manual transmission options for that kind of HP that will work with the VK with as little fab work as possible, I was thinking at the most keeping the bell housing and automatic flywheel from the VK auto trans. Sorry for the long post, I didn't see this info talked about in other threads though I'm sure there is a post from someone somewhere who probably addressed these issues, if it's out there please just point me in the right direction and we can close the thread
Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and that's quite an involved first post. The first thing to say is this will not be an easy or cheap swap. With a VK56 swap, there'll be a lot of fabrication involved. As others have said (do a search) 700-hp is going to cost quite a bit. I'd estimate $25K (minimum) between the parts and labor for such a project, with no guarantee of bulletproof reliability or the prospect of passing an emissions test. Other questions include the following:

-What kind of mechanical and electrical skills do you have?
-Do you have the basic tools and knowledge necessary to work on this project?
-Do you have a separate garage/covered bay to keep the Z in while you work on it?
-Do you have a truck and trailer to haul it around during the work?
-Do I have $25-35K in the bank right now?

If the answer to any of these questions is 'no' than you'll be tearing apart a perfectly good Z to create a one-off drift car that won't be capable of being a reliable street machine again. Consider the following:

-Are there any built drift cars in my area that would do the job rather than "dreaming" my Z could be easily adapted?
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

just do the tried and true LS swap with t56 trans
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome and that's quite an involved first post. The first thing to say is this will not be an easy or cheap swap. With a VK56 swap, there'll be a lot of fabrication involved. As others have said (do a search) 700-hp is going to cost quite a bit. I'd estimate $25K (minimum) between the parts and labor for such a project, with no guarantee of bulletproof reliability or the prospect of passing an emissions test. Other questions include the following:

-Do you have a separate garage/covered bay to keep the Z in while you work on it?

If the answer to any of these questions is 'no' than you'll be tearing apart a perfectly good Z to create a one-off drift car that won't be capable of being a reliable street machine again. Consider the following:

-Are there any built drift cars in my area that would do the job rather than "dreaming" my Z could be easily adapted?
Everyone thinks they can pick up an engine from a wreck and just drop it in for a few $K, and then the wake-up call comes very quickly. Nothing wrong with having ideas about fun and/or interesting projects, but so many just don't make sense, and this is one of them.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 AM
travlee
Master

i think my friend's ls swap ended up costing him about 15k.... we installed the engine and trans ourselves and the he had a shop do the wiring and tuning which cost another couple grand on top of the 15k
Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

To pile on top of all of the other responses, I'd add that in doing swaps, it really is easiest to use the KISS principle (keep it simple, stupid). Unless you are into pain, expense, and have the time to go for the extravagant solution to be truly unique, it is best to work with solutions that have known answers.

In this case, an LSX conversion is probably the closest thing to "easy" - not because its any less challenging but the fact that there are readily available PARTS to make the job easier to get from A to B and on to F.... "Finished".

LSX motors are all over the place and while you can do the 56 swap (there's at least one thread on here that shows a very elegant solution), just be prepared for fab, shoehorns, and hope you're good with electrical/electronics.

But good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Sidenote: Anyone know where the "KISS principle" originated? I do, first hand.... my father was one of a handful of Chief Naval Engineers across the country during and after WWII.

His designs were simple, functional, and didn't break. He gave a talk in the late '50s, early '60s and it was at that talk where he discussed his engineering/design philosophy..... "Keep it Simple, Stupid." Less intricacies in design, the easier it was to build and maintain. Hence, the "keep it simple, stupid" principle was born.

And BTW, the "stupid" aspect of that wasn't meant as a put down aimed at someone (as in "WTF, keep it simple, dumass!") as it could easily be taken. He actually MEANT "Keep it simple AND stupid." as in, it's such a stupid simple idea that it could actually work. Inside joke in our house was that he couldn't say "keep it simple and stupid, stupid" because the abbreviation would have been "KISASS".
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Goodolejim

Originally Posted by dkmura

Thank you very much for the detailed response, I just want a v8(with a smooth power band) in my z, didn't think it would cost this much was thinking closer to 15-20k for all of it. I was against the LS just because I'm in Dallas and in my area almost every truck or swapped car sounds the same. Just wanted to be a little unique. Obviously the lsx is gonna be the cheaper choice in the short and long run, was just trying to shy away from it.
From the replies though it looks like a ls1 bottom ls3 top end with the t56 is gonna be the way to go.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Goodolejim

Originally Posted by dcains
Everyone thinks they can pick up an engine from a wreck and just drop it in for a few $K, and then the wake-up call comes very quickly. Nothing wrong with having ideas about fun and/or interesting projects, but so many just don't make sense, and this is one of them.
Yea I know it was outlandish, just didn't want to be another LS swap guy since there are countless LS swaps out there, but I see it's for good reason
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
travlee
Master

trying to remember who finished up my buddies, it was in north fort worth... i will text him, but he is horrible at responding
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Goodolejim

Originally Posted by travlee
just do the tried and true LS swap with t56 trans
It's looking like the way to go...So ls1 bottom with ls3 top? Normal t56...Guess this means I don't have to trade in my z then since I'll be using the t56
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Goodolejim
Yea I know it was outlandish, just didn't want to be another LS swap guy since there are countless LS swaps out there, but I see it's for good reason
be original and throw an ls7 in there.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM
travlee
Master

the shop was Baily's high performance

http://www.bh-factory.com/

Last edited by travlee; 06-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Goodolejim

be original and throw an ls7 in there.
beleive me I'd love to but it would cost alot more I'm sure
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Goodolejim

the shop was Baily's high performance

http://www.bh-factory.com/
thanks man! I'm gonna give them a call for an estimate right now
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Goodolejim
beleive me I'd love to but it would cost alot more I'm sure
brand new crate (but would still have the head issue) will set you back about $15K, i occasionally see them pop up on the vette forum for $7-9k range
Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Goodolejim

trying to remember who finished up my buddies, it was in north fort worth... i will text him, but he is horrible at responding
by the way what did your buddy swap into his?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
travlee
Master

6 liter steel block from a gto, mild cam etc. 426whp