Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Possible way to check timing chain and guides before removing the cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Possible way to check timing chain and guides before removing the cover?

Is there any way to inspection or test the timing and valve chains with out fully disassembling the entire timing chain cover?

The day I finally get this thing tuned I started hearing what sound like the timing chain or a bad guide rattle. It just got worse over the last week and I want to inspect the chains and guides, but I don't want to fully disassemble the timing cover and find out it's not even if.

It's coming from the upper driver side of the motor. And only goes off randomly when at idle or cruising. I'm 90% sure but again it's a bit tedious job and I don't want to open it if I don't have to.

I know there is access covers for the tensioner and water pump. Using those is there a way to test or visibly see if the chain or guide is the issue? I'm really confidant it's the driver side valve chain assembly over the main cam chain.

Not even one week I can enjoy my build and boost with out something totally stupid going bad and reminding me this isn't a daily, but a project car

Last edited by CK_32; 01-07-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:24 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Having a partner help with this is almost a must. I helped a friend do this once on a different car and found that his chain was fine:

You might be able to check for chain slop without taking off the entire timing chain cover and all the ancillary bits that go with it by removing the tensioner/water pump access covers and marking the chain against a reference point on the engine with a daub of paint. Take a breaker bar and turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise until the chain moves a centimeter or so and mark where the chain now sits so you have a pair of forward movement reference points.

Now, mark the position of the pulley relative to the engine block. VERY SLOWLY turn the breaker bar counter-clockwise until the chain just starts to move back toward the starting point then stop. Again, mark the position on the crankshaft pulley and measure how many degrees it's turned (a protractor or some string + math should work). You'll see how much slack is in the chain doing this test (I recommend you do three or four attempts so you can be sure you're getting consistent readings.) < 5 degrees is fine. >10 degrees and your timing chain is sloppy.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think it's actually the main chain tho.

If it was the cam chain or main chain tensioner it would be around the whole engine.

It's just around the top of the engine near the driver side valve cam. Which is why I think it's the secondary tensioner. That's what I'm trying to check. If it's the main chain I'm just going o take the whole thing off.

I just want to see if I can get to the top valve cam chain with out going through everything. If I get time I'll try and grab a video.