Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Chain dragging noise from motor (Is it the timing chain or detonation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Chain dragging noise from motor (Is it the timing chain or detonation)

I have been hearing this chain dragging or slipping noise from the front of the car under WOT (after 5k) in 1st & 2nd gear. I did a search and some mentioned that it was the timing chain & pulley mechanism will make noise when the oil pressure is not up. However, I only go WOT when the car is fully warmed up and I am still hearing this noise (is it really that loud?). I also thought it might be pinging (mostly attributed to the 90+ deg temp. in AZ) but I have also heard this sound when going WOT in 30-50 deg temp. when I lived in NY (usually in 1-3 gear). Is the timing chain mechanism really this loud (if so is it something to worry about ) or am I getting slight detonation? Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
...it might be pinging...
That was my first thought when I read the title
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
That was my first thought when I read the title
This is what I thought initially also but it didnt make sense for an internally stock motor to be pinging at 30-50 deg temps (I was using 93 oct at the time). I did notice it more after I had my headers & HF cats installed.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you got some stank gas in the tank?

Sure it's not a bit of rasp from the HF cats and headers?

The test pipes I was running had major rasp around 2.5k - 3.0k RPM
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
RedondoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a detonation noise. Check your intake tube to make sure it's properly connected to the throttle body and the intake filter assy.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM
page04Z

hmm..... an n/a car with only 10.3:1 compression knocking on pump... thats rare.... even with shitty gas..... unless ambient temps are in the 90's, but if you heard this in 20-30 degree temps you have major issues if thats knocking.

My question to you is, is there a difference in power when you hear the noise?

Because i'm assuming our cars have knock sensors, so i'm assuming its going to pull time when it detects a knock. So when you knock, your car should feel like it just hit a deadspot in its powerband. Does it feel like that?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by page04Z
hmm..... an n/a car with only 10.3:1 compression knocking on pump... thats rare.... even with shitty gas..... unless ambient temps are in the 90's, but if you heard this in 20-30 degree temps you have major issues if thats knocking.

My question to you is, is there a difference in power when you hear the noise?

Because i'm assuming our cars have knock sensors, so i'm assuming its going to pull time when it detects a knock. So when you knock, your car should feel like it just hit a deadspot in its powerband. Does it feel like that?
There is no difference in power, even when upshifting (thats the weird thing)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 PM
page04Z

Then I highly doubt its knocking.

When you knock you pull time, when you pull time, your car feels like its running like ****. Its very noticable. Your car should also stutter a bit every time you hear the noise. If its happening rapidly (meaning it sounds like a damn machine gun) you should DEFINITELY be stuttering.

And since you say you aren't, that leads me to believe your car is not knocking.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM
CG350z

Check out az350z.com. Talk to Rich at Toy Box Auto. That guy knows his ****
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Could be an exhaust manifold leaking.Or the timig chain tensioner.I think there may have been a TSB on the timing tensioner..
Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Could be an exhaust manifold leaking.Or the timig chain tensioner.I think there may have been a TSB on the timing tensioner..
Would a leaking exhaust manifold cause the noise? I'll check that out. Is there a TSB for the timing tensioner? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:33 AM
kvp35

STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY!!! I had the same god damn problem in my 2002 Acura RSX (yea I know).

I started to hear a noise that sounded like a chain dragging, so I brought it to a shop with my dad. The idiot at the shop tore around the block in it and then told me it was just he heat shield, which it clearly was not.

The result: I get back in the car start it and drive 10 ft only for it to stall, make the noise, and lose power.

End Result: Timing chain tensioner failed causing the chain to stretch. Had to have the engine pulled and replaced:

clutch/flywheel (unrelated), 2 bent valves, timing chain, and the tensioner. Took approx 1 month and cost roughly $3,000. The Acura dealership quoted me $12,000 for a new engine or $7,000 for a used with no gurantee. Crooks.

Anyway park it, tow it, and have it checked out. Save you a lot of $$$$
Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by kvp35
STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY!!! I had the same god damn problem in my 2002 Acura RSX (yea I know).

I started to hear a noise that sounded like a chain dragging, so I brought it to a shop with my dad. The idiot at the shop tore around the block in it and then told me it was just he heat shield, which it clearly was not.

The result: I get back in the car start it and drive 10 ft only for it to stall, make the noise, and lose power.

End Result: Timing chain tensioner failed causing the chain to stretch. Had to have the engine pulled and replaced:

clutch/flywheel (unrelated), 2 bent valves, timing chain, and the tensioner. Took approx 1 month and cost roughly $3,000. The Acura dealership quoted me $12,000 for a new engine or $7,000 for a used with no gurantee. Crooks.

Anyway park it, tow it, and have it checked out. Save you a lot of $$$$
ICK this is what I am afraid of. I'm about to call the dealer ASAP can anyone let me know if there is a TSB for the timing chain tensioner (maybe a link or a TSB code or #)? Thanks.