Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
dude, go test your battery.
I'll give that a shot....
Old 02-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoAlphaZulu
>EDIT<. My previous response in this spot may have indicated the problem was solved. Alas it is not.

I returned to the inspection place this afternoon, and the problem is still not fixed. Same four items are reading as incomplete. The last time the battery was disconnected was when the car was worked on in November. I am stunned three months of driving is not sufficient to CMPLT all the SRT stuff. I am also baffled at how the Inspection station can read the data port, but code readers at three different part stores and mechanics cannot communicate at all.

The service manual (at least the part quoted by Karl says:
"If a vehicle is rejected for a State emissions inspection due to one or more SRT items indicating “INCMP”, use the information in this Service Manual to set the SRT to CMPLT”."

Does this refer to something specific that can be done in the shop to set an INCMP to CMPLT, or is the procedure they refer to driving around?
Is there any way to know the status has changed to CMPLT other then a trip to the inspection station to get the codes read again?

Yeah, like I said. You can buy a handheld OBDII scanner from an auto parts store or ebay/amazon.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 AM
TangoAlphaZulu

Yeah, like I said. You can buy a handheld OBDII scanner from an auto parts store or ebay/amazon.
No codes are being generated. The report from the inspection facility shows that shows that much. What several have said, and that I am finally understanding is the computer is not finding anything wrong. It is just saying the System Test is not yet complete. A test not finished is not the same thing as something wrong.

The OBD port is the second part of the problem anyway. Even if I had a reader, three places (two part stores and a mechanic) have tried their scanner, and none of them could communicate with the car. The port was dead as far as they could see. It is a mystery how the Inspection station communicates with the car. The only thing I can think of is the inspection station powers the car from it's equipment, while handheld scanners require power from the car.

So, it is back to the question, how do I know the test has successfully completed if the car says nothing is wrong?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:11 AM
TangoAlphaZulu

dude, go test your battery.
Got the battery tested this morning. According to the Autozone battery tester, the battery has 91% capacity, which according to their battery testing gadget is a bad battery.

I will have to replace the battery just to eliminate this possibility.

I have trouble seeing how this could be the cause of the problem. The car has no problem starting. The starter cranks hard with no hint of fading. If this bad battery has no problem starting the car, why is it not good enough to keep the computer happy?

At least changing the battery will give me access to the fuse panel in that compartment. Maybe that is where fuse 34 is hiding. Maybe that will get the ODB port working again.

Last edited by TangoAlphaZulu; 02-14-2018 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Atreyu'z 350

No codes are being generated. The report from the inspection facility shows that shows that much. What several have said, and that I am finally understanding is the computer is not finding anything wrong. It is just saying the System Test is not yet complete. A test not finished is not the same thing as something wrong.

The OBD port is the second part of the problem anyway. Even if I had a reader, three places (two part stores and a mechanic) have tried their scanner, and none of them could communicate with the car. The port was dead as far as they could see. It is a mystery how the Inspection station communicates with the car. The only thing I can think of is the inspection station powers the car from it's equipment, while handheld scanners require power from the car.

So, it is back to the question, how do I know the test has successfully completed if the car says nothing is wrong?

You won't. Unless you get that port working, or take it back to the place, the dealer, or someone with Consult II.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 02-14-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM
TangoAlphaZulu

Problem Solved. Car has PASSED inspection.

I found the fuse for the OMBII port, or at least found where it was supposed to be. Someone had pulled the fuse and stuck it in a blank spot on the fuse block. With the fuse in its proper place I headed back to the parts store. When I got there I decided to get a second opinion (test) on the battery. This time, the technician kept getting "poor connection" on his battery tester, so no test.

Moving on to the OMBII port. This time, with a working port, we got "ECM Backup power supply fault. Probable Cause:
1. Open or short circuit
2. Poor electrical connection
3.Failed ECM

Yep, #2 was screaming at me. Pulled the battery terminals, cleaned the crap out of them, went for a 35 minute drive, and went straight to the inspection station. This time it PASSED.

So, just because a battery connection is good enough to pass the butt-load of amps for a starter motor, does not mean it will pass the milliamps needed to keep the computer memory from dropping out. I should have known better.

Thanks to everyone for your help,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I think it is about time to take the car to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Problem Solved. Car has PASSED inspection.

I found the fuse for the OMBII port, or at least found where it was supposed to be. Someone had pulled the fuse and stuck it in a blank spot on the fuse block. With the fuse in its proper place I headed back to the parts store. When I got there I decided to get a second opinion (test) on the battery. This time, the technician kept getting "poor connection" on his battery tester, so no test.

Moving on to the OMBII port. This time, with a working port, we got "ECM Backup power supply fault. Probable Cause:
1. Open or short circuit
2. Poor electrical connection
3.Failed ECM

Yep, #2 was screaming at me. Pulled the battery terminals, cleaned the crap out of them, went for a 35 minute drive, and went straight to the inspection station. This time it PASSED.

So, just because a battery connection is good enough to pass the butt-load of amps for a starter motor, does not mean it will pass the milliamps needed to keep the computer memory from dropping out. I should have known better.

Thanks to everyone for your help,
Jeff

Because the starter motor does what it's told and the ECU does what it wants. Praise the universe.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 02-14-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I scrolled through 2 pages and never found the GF pic. WtF is wrong with you guys...

Previous owner probably had it tuned for test pipes and the sensors disabled. Takes about 50 miles of driving once the battery is discounted for the sensors to be back to ready on the stock ecu.
The following users liked this post:
sofakiing (02-15-2018)