Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

DTC's & Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Zenxia06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DTC's & Smoke

Hey everyone... I recently just got my 06 Z back after getting hydro-locked last march, and a year of major bs.

Well my Z is back up and running, but threw 5 DTC's... 2 had to do with the cam position, 2 were for 02 sensors, and the last one is for ABS Right Rear Actuator. I didn't get a chance to drive it much, because I noticed a semi rough idle, and when I got in the higher rpm's to kick in the vvti, she would smoke like crazy..

I am in the process of replacing some parts to see if it corrects the issue, but feel my efforts will be in vain. I am replacing all 4 cam sensors, both vvti solenoids, 2x rear o2 sensors + extenders. I did just install the Z1 M-spec Street Version CAI yesterday. Tomorrow I will be putting new front hub bearings on both sides, and new cross drilled & slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads on all four corners.

I guess what I am concerned about is that I am wasting my time, and will need to (A) rebuild the engine and where would be a reasonable place to get it done, (b) find a replacement Rev-Up engine and know where to locate one for a fair price, or (c) say f**k it all and consider doing a 2Jz swap...

If you have any advice , insight, or ideas.. please let me know..
Thanks everyone.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:41 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenxia06
Hey everyone... I recently just got my 06 Z back after getting hydro-locked last march, and a year of major bs.

Well my Z is back up and running, but threw 5 DTC's... 2 had to do with the cam position, 2 were for 02 sensors, and the last one is for ABS Right Rear Actuator. I didn't get a chance to drive it much, because I noticed a semi rough idle, and when I got in the higher rpm's to kick in the vvti, she would smoke like crazy..

I am in the process of replacing some parts to see if it corrects the issue, but feel my efforts will be in vain. I am replacing all 4 cam sensors, both vvti solenoids, 2x rear o2 sensors + extenders. I did just install the Z1 M-spec Street Version CAI yesterday. Tomorrow I will be putting new front hub bearings on both sides, and new cross drilled & slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads on all four corners.

I guess what I am concerned about is that I am wasting my time, and will need to (A) rebuild the engine and where would be a reasonable place to get it done, (b) find a replacement Rev-Up engine and know where to locate one for a fair price, or (c) say f**k it all and consider doing a 2Jz swap...

If you have any advice , insight, or ideas.. please let me know..
Thanks everyone.
its prob because you dont register your car

https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...istration.html
The following 3 users liked this post by travlee:
BluestreamDE (05-04-2018), e30cabrio (05-04-2018), zakmartin (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,279 Likes on 2,579 Posts

I really hate how this car is affordable for 16yr olds now.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Good Christ.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Explain how your Z got hydro-locked(driving though some big a$$ puddle with some 'cold air' intake), how the car reacted immediately afterwards, and what that year of major bullsh!t consisted of.. You did change your oil & filter afterwards, I hope.

The 2006 Z has only 2 camshaft sensors btw, driver's side intake cam & passenger side exhaust cam.. And I would forget about mods at this time until you figure out what's going on with it.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Zenxia06

I had the intake that placed the filter under the driver's side headlight. While I was doing my grocery shopping, a thunderstorm rolled in. Upon leaving the store it had become a heavy rain, and the drainage system here is basically non-existent.. I left anyway, saying to myself (it's only a rain storm, just take it slow)...lol
Was behind a Kia Optima on the way out, I was watching him closely as he pulled out of the parking lot because a puddle had started forming. As he made his turn I was double checking to make sure it was safe to continue after he was clear. While he made his left turn, I could see the water level was only about 1-2 inches deep, (which I have driven through before without any troubles), as I went to make my turn out on the road, the water level rose high enough in that few second's that it reached the filter, and the z died right in the middle of the road. Not realizing at that moment what exactly had happened, I jump out so I could push my car out of the middle of the road, and called my friend to ask if I could pull it to his garage and drain the fluids. He said no prob, so then I called my wife, and told her to bring the truck so we could get the car to his shop and out of the weather. While waiting for my wife to get to me, the rain is starting to let up, and about 15 minutes later, it's a gentle sprinkle as my wife pulls into the parking lot next to me. We get the Z hooked up, and make the 1 mile to my friend's garage with no issues. I get the z unhooked, and after getting it indoors, I tell my friend I am going to get run over to auto parts store to get plugs, filters, and the oil to do 2 regular oil changes, and full synthetic to finish up with....

Well that is the beginning of the nightmare...lol
I will finish the rest after I get back home later today.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Zenxia06

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Explain how your Z got hydro-locked(driving though some big a$$ puddle with some 'cold air' intake), how the car reacted immediately afterwards, and what that year of major bullsh!t consisted of.. You did change your oil & filter afterwards, I hope.

The 2006 Z has only 2 camshaft sensors btw, driver's side intake cam & passenger side exhaust cam.. And I would forget about mods at this time until you figure out what's going on with it.
I ran the scan tool, got the codes, and make my parts list for any parts pertaining to each code, and called the dealership to double check on how many cam sensors are needed for the Rev-Up motor. I found a cam/crank sensor kit that came with 5 sensors total...1x crank position sensor, and 4 for the cams. All-data and Mitchel On Demand, both show 2 different part numbers for cam sensors... one # for the intake on passenger side & exhaust on driver side.. the 2nd part # for the intake on driver side & exhaust on passenger side. Lead tech at dealer verified this after putting my VIN in their system, and mentioned the 02-05 only use 1 sensor per bank... but i will know more in a little bit, and will find out either way...lol
Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Wait. I'm wrong. There is four.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:44 AM
Zenxia06

It happens...lol I think t nice that we can actualy build orur Rev-Up engine to produce more than the HR.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:19 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Yeah, I had a moment. So you drove though a 2in deep puddle, water gets sucked into CAI, engine dies.. I would replace the spark plugs(NGK), cam sensors(OEM Nissan), O2 sensors(OEM or Denso), vvts - (I'd try taking them apart and cleaning them out first before replacing them. That sometimes fixes the problem. They could just be all filled with that milky gunk).
Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Legacy406

Received 3,279 Likes on 2,579 Posts

Are you not running a bypass valve?

Last edited by Legacy406; 05-06-2018 at 08:43 AM.