Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z Randomly overheating temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Brian_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Randomly overheating temp gauge

I noticed this past week, my cooling fans had come on shortly after driving. Its been a whole lot cooler here in SoCal and wasn't too sure why my fans were coming on. I haven't used my AC in over a couple weeks. I read somewhere that it could be low on coolant, so when i checked, it sure was. Topped it off this morning and continued about my day. Drove home after work for about 30 mins. Then my brother needed a quick ride somewhere. I drove for 5 mins and realized my temp needle started rising and was close to hitting "H"
Anybody have any idea why? I only topped off my coolant. Only thing is, I have no idea what it had before, the only thing I had handy was Prestone 50/50 and topped it off with that. On my way home from giving my bro a ride, it didnt overheat??? I have no leaks anywhere. I have never run into any overheating issues. I ran my AC all the time during the Summer here in SoCal (100+ degrees) and not once did I notice the temp rising. Anybody have any input? The only reason I realized the temp gauge rose was bc I heard the cooling fans being loud. My guess is that there is air in the system somehow? I spilled a little bit of coolant when trying to fill up the reservoir (it was a brand new, full gallon) but I don't think that could be it. Someone give me some peace of mind pls
Old 10-01-2019, 09:13 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

You may need to bleed the system depending on how low your coolant level was prior to fill-up. The cooling system needs to be bled PROPERLY in order to resolve the issue. Even a small amount of air in your system will cause overheating. Consult the factory service manual for the proper bleeding procedure. When you think you have bled the system completely then do it a few more times. The cooling system is EXTREMELY finicky. As a tip, order and use a spill-free funnel. They're cheap and are the best, and imo only, way to do the bleed properly.

If that does not work then you will need to do some troubleshooting to find the cause of the problem.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:43 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

when it gets hot, touch both of the hoses..... is one hot while the other cold? thermostat may be starting to fail
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Brian_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
You may need to bleed the system depending on how low your coolant level was prior to fill-up. The cooling system needs to be bled PROPERLY in order to resolve the issue. Even a small amount of air in your system will cause overheating. Consult the factory service manual for the proper bleeding procedure. When you think you have bled the system completely then do it a few more times. The cooling system is EXTREMELY finicky. As a tip, order and use a spill-free funnel. They're cheap and are the best, and imo only, way to do the bleed properly.

If that does not work then you will need to do some troubleshooting to find the cause of the problem.
So i tried doing it the older way, opening radiator cap and starting car, letting it warm up and bubble for air but absolutely no air came out. Figured i'd try driving it again so i came to pick up my brother from school (2 miles away) and as soon as I arrived, overheating again. Should i try bleeding it again? Maybe thermostat is failing?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UtY1Tl-zc5vzeh

That's a link to the FSM. The only tips I will add is to have the front of the car jacked up and use a funnel as I previously mentioned. Insert the funnel into the radiator neck and add coolant so its filled up into the funnel. Follow the steps in the FSM. The reason for jacking up the car is because the radiator fill neck is not the highest point of the cooling system so it's more difficult to get air out of everything. Jacking it up helps with the process. Having coolant backed up into the funnel (just a little) prevents the system from sucking in air when the thermostat opens and the fluid drops as it begins circulating into your engine.

If you have followed all the steps then you may have additional problems, such as the thermostat like Travlee mentioned.