Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

If you bought a 1st gen rogue short shifter...beware!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
jesseenglish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The item wasn't obviously DEFECTIVE when they shipped it. It was a poorly designed part from the manufacturer. That's what manufacturer warranties are for.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by jesseenglish
The item wasn't obviously DEFECTIVE when they shipped it. It was a poorly designed part from the manufacturer. That's what manufacturer warranties are for.
When something is wrong with your Z do you take it back to the manufacturer or the place that sold it to you..I still think 350EVO should have sent a new one and did the swap at the customers convienience not inconvenience..It basically seems that once a vendor has your $$$$ that where the customer service ends..For a vendor who made his $$$$ Primarily by supportive members of this site,I would have expected them to go a little out of their way to compensate a supportive member of our Z community..The guy was not trying to get over on anyone he just wanted his car fixed with as little down time and inconvenience as possible...Oh and as far as it being a poorly designed product then maybee 350Evo shouldnt have carried and promoted and made $$$$ of the sale of the product...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 PM
KJY9

That's the difference between KJY9 and myself. I wouldn't whine about it, I'd go straight to the source to get it fixed. The vendor is just a middleman who's only responsibility is to make sure that he is honest.

The only way I can think of a vendor being responsible to replace a part is if something they did caused the failure.... for example bad packaging, or misrepresenting the items entirely.
hmm I'm not whining..just stating facts, proved by the email response I received from BJ . 350 EVO is not standing by what they sell.

[B]
It was in fact defective when it was sold...does anyone here read before posting?!?
Mine broke before the first post on this forum about it being defective, otherwise Rogue wouldn't have felt the need to create a second revision.

BJ, my stock shifter went in the garbage a long time ago..where it and the Rogue both belong

I'm going to assume by many of the posts in this thread that basic business ethics and morals do not play a part in many of your everyday lives.

One thing I have learned through all this is who not to trust in this business, and who to trust.
Unfortunately the list of the former is much longer than the latter.

I'll write it down to a couple hundred dollar lesson learned.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:43 PM
rouxeny

Like your stock shifter, this entire thread went into the garbage a long time ago.

When I recently bought a Canon digital camera from a local photo shop, I knew that I was getting a Canon warrantee. If anything goes wrong with the camera, I'll bring it back to my local shop, but obviously, they're not going to just give me a new camera. Instead, it'll get shipped back to Canon if any work has to get done.

Let's say I go to Circuit City to buy a Sony TV. If I'd like, I can purchase, at additional cost, a Circuit City warrantee, in addition to the one that Sony offers me. If I choose to do that, I can bring the TV back to Circuit City, and they'll take care of any problems, as opposed to sending it back to Sony.

Your shifter falls into the first category. The retailer is responsible if your shifter was damaged in shipping, or if you were sent the wrong object, things like that. In the case of manufacturing or design inadequacies though, it goes back to the people that made it.

Seems simple to me.

Daking, your example of where to take your Z if you were to have problems with it is not valid. Your Z is manufactured by Nissan and is sold by a Nissan subsidiary (your dealer). Nobody expects you to ship your car back to Oppama if you need a Bose TSB fix. There is a reason why your dealership is a Nissan dealer, they are a local extension of the worldwide company.

BJ and Rogue do not have this kind of business relationship.

Last edited by rouxeny; 02-26-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by rouxeny
Like your stock shifter, this entire thread went into the garbage a long time ago.

When I recently bought a Canon digital camera from a local photo shop, I knew that I was getting a Canon warrantee. If anything goes wrong with the camera, I'll bring it back to my local shop, but obviously, they're not going to just give me a new camera. Instead, it'll get shipped back to Canon if any work has to get done.

Let's say I go to Circuit City to buy a Sony TV. If I'd like, I can purchase, at additional cost, a Circuit City warrantee, in addition to the one that Sony offers me. If I choose to do that, I can bring the TV back to Circuit City, and they'll take care of any problems, as opposed to sending it back to Sony.

Your shifter falls into the first category. The retailer is responsible if your shifter was damaged in shipping, or if you were sent the wrong object, things like that. In the case of manufacturing or design inadequacies though, it goes back to the people that made it.

Seems simple to me.

Daking, your example of where to take your Z if you were to have problems with it is not valid. Your Z is manufactured by Nissan and is sold by a Nissan subsidiary (your dealer). Nobody expects you to ship your car back to Oppama if you need a Bose TSB fix. There is a reason why your dealership is a Nissan dealer, they are a local extension of the worldwide company.

BJ and Rogue do not have this kind of business relationship.
The first gen of this shifter is known to be defective. I believe I shouldn't have to contact a third party to get it right, especially since I told BJ when it first happened and how I tried to fix it. We can agree to disagree on this.
I'm glad I buy all my computer parts online from a company that warranties EVERYTHING they sell for a minimum of a year except CPUs. No dealing with 3rd parties. That's how it should be.
If you're happy dealing with people that will sell you something, then turn their back when a product turns out to be defective, great!
My money will go to people who stand by, backup what they sell and give good customer service
Old 02-26-2004, 09:36 PM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by KJY9
It was in fact defective when it was sold...does anyone here read before posting?!?
Mine broke before the first post on this forum about it being defective, otherwise Rogue wouldn't have felt the need to create a second revision.
If you notice, I used the word obviously before defective. My point was that they're responsible if they knew it was going to break yet sold it anyways.

350EVO doesn't have some sort of time machine to know whether a new part is going to be defective, it was a new untested product. These things happen when it's a new product.

You obviously feel 350EVO is responsible. You made your point now and we all know that you believe 350EVO didn't do their part to help a customer. Now call Rogue Engineering and get yourself a new shifter. I'm sure they'll do their part to make things right for you.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 02-26-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Balls

I really don't want to argue with anyone about this topic, but I have to say just one thing: I've been in the customer service field for a long time and it is my belief that there is such a thing as a bad customer; a customer that cannot be pleased once he or she has decided to be dissatisfied.

I think that belief applies in this situation simply because you know that you have to live with this so-called poor service and now you know we do not agree with you, so you have to live with that as well. Yet you still continue to make attempts at spreading negativity regarding your experience. When you do that, I am forced to question whether you really want to warn me to stay away from a vendor, or if perhaps you have another motive.

Regardless of what I think your motives are, I think you should agree to disagree with us, about your experience.

Thanks for reading; I'm sorry your shifter broke. There's nothing worse than buying something to make you feel good and then it breaks. =\
Old 02-27-2004, 07:12 AM
jeffery

If I buy a camera (or anything else for that matter) at circuit city, good guys, etc. If it breaks in less than a year I take it back to where I bought it. I don't d!ck around with the manufacturers. If they don't like it, I call Amex they take care of it, end of story. I wish I had customers as ignorant as rouxeny!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:03 AM
daking350
Banned

I was going to get the EVO final drive but after seeing how their POOR customer service is in action I will not waste my $$$$ on their products..It is true that there is such thing as a bad customer,but there are far more companies that prey on stupid people not to utilize their consumer rights..If this were me I would DISPUTE the charge on my credit card or debit card and get my $$$$ refunded,you will see how fast 350evo responds to funds being taken back by a bank or credit card company..Then file a complaint with the dept of consumer affairs against 350evo for not replacing a defective product that THEY sold you...I fully understand that the manufacturer is responsible for the warranty,but it is the vendor that should step up and assist in the warranty replacement or repair..After all the vendor made $$$ off this item as well as the manufacturer and shouldnt just pass the buck to the manufacturer..350EVO chose to sell and make profits from the Shifter and should have some obligation ,if not legal at least MORAL, to assist one of their customers with a defective product.
I went through this exact same senario with Stillen who wouldnt even replace their OWN defective product until I posted a 25+page thread on this site, costing them countless $$$$ in sales..It got to the point that the CEO of Stillen contacted me and agreed to replace the product if I deleted my thread If I did not utilize this forum I would STILL be sitting there with my thumb up my azz waiting for Stillen to replace a defective product that they blamed on the installer without even examining the product
The bottom line is that a vendor's responsability does not end once he gets your $$$$ in his pocket.He needs to honor his merchandise for a reasonable amount of time after the sale..How stupid do you have to be to cost yourself thousands of $$$$$ in sales over replacing one STUPID $300 item!!!
I also Got screwed by WHEELMAX with a set of rims and tires I ordered as a package mounted and balanced.The wheels arrived with several small chips on the lips from the tire mounting machine.When I contacted WHEELMAX they of course blamed UPS who wouldnt even entertain a claim based on the condition of the boxes..Guess who got ALMOST screwed...BUT!!!Thank god for CC companies dispute process and BBB..Gues who kept the wheels for free cause the vendor refused to replaced the damaged wheels..So in an attempt to screw me they in turn screwed themselves by not allowing me to return the items...

Hey BJ..Dont be foolish,just send the guy a new shifter and a return label and do the exchange for him and make him happy and save some face..Look like the better man and step up and do the right and honorable thing..Nobody is trying to get over here...
Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The instruction is simple:

1. Call Rogue.

If you can't handle that instruction, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight back to kindergarten. There's a whole bunch of kiddies just waiting to have you join them for 1:00 p.m. nap time. Bring your own blankie and keep your hands to yourself.

For those of you that are saying you're not going to buy this, that or the other because of this thread - don't. You're the type of customer who will obviously be a PITA anyways and you don't deserve the product.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:01 AM
FLY BY Z

I haven't read this thread since I know it is a poopfest. However, I just want to add that not all the shifters are messed up. I have, I think, one of the first few sold, if not the first one. Mine is still together just fine. Based on that, I don't see how a reseller can be responsible for a manufacturers defect. In the retail location, after 30 days, or 14 or whatever, if the product fails, you contact the manufacturer. 350EVO is a retailer. To me it seems cut and dry. Kevin, you might be barking up the wrong tree, especially when Rogue is more than willing to help you and all you have to do is call them.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:07 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no pleasing some people. Could have been handled with a simple phone call. I am sure Ben & BJ would love this to be made right. Not sure it can be now.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
I haven't read this thread since I know it is a poopfest. However, I just want to add that not all the shifters are messed up. I have, I think, one of the first few sold, if not the first one. Mine is still together just fine.
And this begs the question, defective aftermarket part, or defective operator.

Regardless, it looks like somebody failed to read the 350Evo
TOS...

Michael.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by daking350
I was going to get the EVO final drive but after seeing how their POOR customer service is in action I will not waste my $$$$ on their products..It is true that there is such thing as a bad customer,but there are far more companies that prey on stupid people not to utilize their consumer rights..If this were me I would DISPUTE the charge on my credit card or debit card and get my $$$$ refunded,you will see how fast 350evo responds to funds being taken back by a bank or credit card company..Then file a complaint with the dept of consumer affairs against 350evo for not replacing a defective product that THEY sold you...I fully understand that the manufacturer is responsible for the warranty,but it is the vendor that should step up and assist in the warranty replacement or repair..After all the vendor made $$$ off this item as well as the manufacturer and shouldnt just pass the buck to the manufacturer..350EVO chose to sell and make profits from the Shifter and should have some obligation ,if not legal at least MORAL, to assist one of their customers with a defective product.
Great idea, first thing Monday morning I'll file the dispute then a complaint with the dept of consumer affairs.
Thanks

Originally posted by hfm
The instruction is simple:

1. Call Rogue.

If you can't handle that instruction, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight back to kindergarten. There's a whole bunch of kiddies just waiting to have you join them for 1:00 p.m. nap time. Bring your own blankie and keep your hands to yourself.

For those of you that are saying you're not going to buy this, that or the other because of this thread - don't. You're the type of customer who will obviously be a PITA anyways and you don't deserve the product.
hfm you have yet to answer my question. do you own a short shifter, or are you here simply to cause discord as usual??
Your grade school mentality and comments are quite tiring at best.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:53 AM
hfm

Originally posted by jmark
There is no pleasing some people. Could have been handled with a simple phone call.
Some people are just beyond help.

Originally posted by KJY9

hfm you have yet to answer my question. do you own a short shifter, or are you here simply to cause discord as usual??
The problem you have is that it's either this or that with you and no other alternative. It's your way or the highway.

You're warning people away from buying this product. Therefore, anyone in the market for the product has a say on this privately owned but public forum. If you don't like the truth of the matter, ignore it. I suppose you could buy this forum. Until then, as a Z owner who is interested purchasing products from this vendor, I can make my comments just like any one else. Just as much as you can make comments on my thread about Crawford, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the product or not, I can make comments about EVO. You didn't see me complaining about your inane posts, I just responded whenever I felt like it. And, that's all you can do too. Don't like it, too bad.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:55 AM
hfm

That's about all I have to say out of respect to Christi's request to stop bickering.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:56 AM
hfm

Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Regardless, it looks like somebody failed to read the 350Evo
TOS...

Michael.
I think this about sums it up. Do your homework before you buy something, and leave your feelings at home, because this is business. It's not personal.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
dwnshift

Just for the record I had to ship all 45+ shifters (my entire stock a the time) back to Rogue Engineering when the seperation issue started to get them updated. You were aware back in December that you could get it updated for free but decided to go with your own "fix" which for towm months seemed to satisfy you becasue I hadnt heard or seen anything from you that there was an issue.
Some people with the 1st generation RE shifter still havent even had the seperation issue.
KY,
knock it off...
I do not want your buisnees it isnt worth the time, hassle, headache. The situation is very dissapointing. I belive you have blown it entirley out of proportion and are upset because you wanted a different answer than you recieved. Look at things from other peoples perspective and get out of your own little world and join in on the one the rest of us live on.
Please feel free to contact Ben at Rogue Enginnering for further assistance.
I have asked the administrator to start a "CUSTOMER REVIEW" section for the vendors.
Thats all I am going to say.
BJ@350EVO.com
Old 02-27-2004, 01:54 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by dwnshift
......I belive you have blown it entirley out of proportion and are upset because you wanted a different answer than you recieved. Look at things from other peoples perspective and get out of your own little world and join in on the one the rest of us live on.
That about sums it up BJ.
I spoke with 5 different vendors today that I buy from. All of them stated that they would've handled it VERY differently than you did.
Thank you for clarifying that you have no intentions of standing by anything you sell.
Point made and received.

Quick Reply: If you bought a 1st gen rogue short shifter...beware!