Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Write up on LSD install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 AM
zfastest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Write up on LSD install?

I searched far and near and couldn't find anything written up on installation of an LSD. In paticular the NISMO LSD. Anybody have anything written up that could help me install it? And I mean from scratch, not a prebuilt unit?

Pleeeaaaaaasssseeeeee heeeelllpppp meeeeeee
Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Write up on LSD install?

Originally posted by zfastest
I searched far and near and couldn't find anything written up on installation of an LSD. In paticular the NISMO LSD. Anybody have anything written up that could help me install it? And I mean from scratch, not a prebuilt unit?

Pleeeaaaaaasssseeeeee heeeelllpppp meeeeeee
You cannot self install it. That is why no one has a D.I.Y.

You do not have the specialized tools required, look at the shop manuel and you will understand. Frankly, make sure the installing shop has someone that very good at working on diffs and fine tuning them.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:09 AM
zfastest

AARRRHGGG....I dont have a choice!

Surely it can't be that freaking hard, it's just a differential, not a space ship. I just might be at a loss for tools, and even then I could compromise in some way or another? I've looked at all the parts (in pictures) and have worked on transmissions of several types before, just not an LSD install. Maybe I'm way off here....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:13 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

The guys at Performance may have some words of advice if you ask them...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you not have a choice?

Is it money? It's just not something you'd want to attempt yourself, especially when you consider the repercussions of an improper install. You don't want to ruin the differential or the transmission.

I guess you can try pm'ing j's350z. He has a NISMO LSD that he installed, but he has a full-service shop and knowledgable people.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:35 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing the actual differential is not that difficult, but taking the gear off the old dif and getting it installed properly on the new one is. If you do not know what lash is and how to measure it, you should not attempt it yourself.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

exactly...any competant tranny shop can do it for you for a minimal amt of money.

Even witha full service shop at my disposal, I was not comfortable installing my Cusco one, so I had it done at a locally tranny place....had the car back in about 3 hours.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:18 AM
j's350z

The install itself is not that difficult, for the Nismo unit. I probably would not reccommend it for the DIY'ers but if you must the special tools needed in the manual are not needed.. If you want to email me @ jason@racemrc.com I could fax you the instructions that came with the unit. The only thing you are going to want to do is check the backlash when you disassemble it and reassemble it. This is done with a dial indicator. But, like I sad before, this isn't a mod you are going to want to do in your garage on a Friday night. Also, it is 10 times easier if you drop the whole rear out of the car and work on it on the bench..... Good Luck!
Jason
MRC Motorports
www.racemrc.com