Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Independant throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
DaillestChoP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independant throttle bodies

The 350Z sounds incredibly sexy stock as is. but wouldnt it be great if there was an independant throttle body setup. i think that if there could ever be, it would sound sooo sexy. if ferrari ever made a v-6 i think thats how it would sound like. im not sure though if there is any company that is prototyping one yet or not, but i think it would be a great mod since there are soo many cars now that offer individual-tb's, that its a shame that the 350 doesnt do so already, as far as i kno. if any one has any information on this please let me kno, ide luv to hear how it sounds. also it would be great just to kno that its either out there or being pondered upon. who agrees?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:55 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Independant throttle bodies

Originally posted by DaillestChoP
The 350Z sounds incredibly sexy stock as is. but wouldnt it be great if there was an independant throttle body setup. i think that if there could ever be, it would sound sooo sexy. if ferrari ever made a v-6 i think thats how it would sound like. im not sure though if there is any company that is prototyping one yet or not, but i think it would be a great mod since there are soo many cars now that offer individual-tb's, that its a shame that the 350 doesnt do so already, as far as i kno. if any one has any information on this please let me kno, ide luv to hear how it sounds. also it would be great just to kno that its either out there or being pondered upon. who agrees?
Ferarri has made V6's, infact The Ferarri Dino was a V6
Old 03-16-2004, 08:09 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This subject is one I'm rather sensitive about as I spent nearly two weeks trying to figure out how we could "bolt" a set in.

For starters... the TommyK car isn't running a stock ECU. The stock ECU requires a MAF... and regrettably ITBs (Individual Throttle Bodies) don't use these.

You COULD do what the E46 M3 does, and have all the ITBs run into a single plenum...

Alright so we take six individuals run them side by side all aiming to ONE side... preferably the stock intake location. All six TBs needed to make this system work would be over 20" front to back, and at MINIMUM 10" wide... Oops - hits the rear cabinet where the ABS lines are, under one configuration. You COULD center it up, run equal length runners out the left, and back around to the ITBs... then DAMN hits the roof and has runners than are WAY too long.

There is NO freaking room under our hood for them.

Solutions -
a) Drop an inline-6... LOTS of room for ITBs (Not realistic)
b) Run Motec, Autronic, etc... NO NEED for MAF then run the TommyK setup. In turn kiss ABS, VDC, etc. goodbye.

Feel free to PM me more about this... I spent WAY more time concepting this than it's worth.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:17 PM
FormulaRX

It'd probably cost more and produce less power than a turbo setup and be a crappy and time consuming install if not done correctly...
Old 03-16-2004, 09:38 PM
DaillestChoP

...oh...wow, more complicated then i thaught. oh yea, about the thing w/ the ferrari and a v-6, i was ferrering to newer ferrari's, i dont really kno much about older ones, do u think it sounds like the 350Z though, cuz i dont kno? and to respond to Folrmularx's post, i was thinking along the lines of having ITB's AND.....running a turbo setup...huh...huh...sounds good doesnt it (^_^)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Z350Lover

Skyline GTR has 6 throttle bodies with twin turbo... and same as the m3... that's why both cars' costs are very high.... it is that not nissan doesn't want to put 6 throttles in, just the cost will go up significantly!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-16-2004, 11:25 PM
DaillestChoP

well, i did kno this, its just that the Z sounds soo great now, i would have loved to hear it w/ the ITB. just imagine how loud it would be, not to mention the "orgasmically enduced" sounds it would evoke, especially w/ a turbo
Old 03-17-2004, 07:18 AM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by PhoenixINX

There is NO freaking room under our hood for them.

Solutions -
a) Drop an inline-6... LOTS of room for ITBs (Not realistic)
b) Run Motec, Autronic, etc... NO NEED for MAF then run the TommyK setup. In turn kiss ABS, VDC, etc. goodbye.

Feel free to PM me more about this... I spent WAY more time concepting this than it's worth.
Option B not true. No need to loose ABS VDC etc... PM for details.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:40 AM
DaillestChoP

PM SENT!!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:25 AM
DaillestChoP

i just looked into tommykaira and found some ITB's, but i couldnt read anything about it. i do kno that the 350Z w/ the ITB's and their headers produces 300 some hp and like 40.8 lb/ft torque, (or somthing like that). this is all i kno
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
VQ35Kompressor

HKS is suppose to come out with one too...seems more feasible if you're going all out race for ITB's...I too started a thread a while back on ITB's...I contacted TWM Induction and they won't even waste their time to make it either...market is too small...
Old 03-17-2004, 07:20 PM
AParshall04

Would a R33 or R34 engine fit in our engine bay? If so, i wonder why guys arent just dropping these engines in rather than buying a TT kit. The whole engine with the TT on an r33 sells for about $5k on ebay.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:51 PM
apsilon

It will fit and has been done but it's a little more complex than buying an engine and dropping it in. It'll cost more than a TT install IMO.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:24 PM
DaillestChoP

wow, thats some pretty interesting info.....i never new that hks was commin out w/ one, but were are u gettin this info from, ide like to kno
Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ABS, VDC, etc. goodbye
You most definately do not need to loose any of these functions.

Yes ITB's are possible - they are teh final step to a completely prepped head, but do require a dramtic change in engine management, not to mention the sheer costs involved.

While a bit tricjy to control, they do have their merits - jsut not sure if this is an engien that "needs" it; would ahev to research it more
Old 03-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by apsilon
It will fit and has been done but it's a little more complex than buying an engine and dropping it in. It'll cost more than a TT install IMO.
aps:

That will be an interesting approach though... think about RB26DETT on the Zed... and no one would mind to have that I would say...

cheers,

richie
Old 03-19-2004, 05:09 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

HKS has done one, as have NISMO and a handful of others - none of which is available to the public though, except the TK setup.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

ANyone have picture of ITB? Either on 350Z or M3? I would like to see how it looks.. thanks!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

here ya go

HKS:
Attached Thumbnails Independant throttle bodies-hksvq35.jpg  
Old 03-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

NISMO: