Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Improving mileage ( how? )

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:23 AM
overboostedtoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: yes, it works

Originally posted by reen
I used Amsoil 10W30 and ran it for 23,000 miles (about a year). You still have to change the filter every 6 months. As an experiment, I took a sample of the old oil and sent it away for analysis, and while it wasn't perfect, it was fine. The report, in a nutshell, was "it's about time to change your oil, but no hurry."

I was impressed.
Is the oil analysis done by an independent lab? If that's the case, it is quite impressive. Btw, I'm thinking about getting an experiment done on my Mobile 1 synthetic, can you recommend some labs? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:24 AM
toothlessracer

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and still change my oil every 3k miles. Better safe than sorry. I've done this on all my cars.

I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse with over 200k still running strong, doesn't burn oil and its been to the track on a consistant basis for 7 yrs. I also have a Camaro 250k and and MB 25k all cars get the same treatment. Eventhough MB says to change the oil every 10k.

My Z now has 20k I'm getting better mileage now about 25 MPG keep in mind this in So. Cal traffic. On long trips to Vegas, Palmsprings or San Francisco I get about 27 MPG averaging 85-100 MPH.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 PM
reen

Default Re: Re: yes, it works

Originally posted by overboostedtoy
Is the oil analysis done by an independent lab? If that's the case, it is quite impressive. Btw, I'm thinking about getting an experiment done on my Mobile 1 synthetic, can you recommend some labs? Thanks.
Yes, it's an independent lab:

http://www.oaitesting.com/

It's like $20 for the kit, which includes the analysis. They were very quick, and I received both a fax and a hard copy in the mail.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Durrr

If you wanna see real oil nuts, and read about EVERYTHING from virgin analyses to used oil analyses, different addititive packages, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

Best resource on the internet for un-biased lube info
Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 PM
teacher

Default max mpg

With gas at over $2.00 a gallon I try to get a bit more out of each gallon. Going by the trip computer on 300-600 mile samples (drving over a week or two - maybe 15 cold starts) I get 27-30mpg on my 2003 350Z perf. model in the summer months. Near freezing weather later in the year drops my average to about 25 mpg. My driving is maybe 60% highway. Not too many interminable stop lights in my city either (1-2 minuters or less usually) . My mileage tricks (or maybe just beliefs...)

GAS: Generic 93 octane (yes - Wi. has the good stuff). No 10% ethanol crap though.

OIL: Mobil1 5-30. Good for mileage, good for that elusive extra 1 horsepower.

TIRES: 34 psi cold. Not too high I know, but it seems enough.

WEIGHT: No spare/jack. Drive with about a 1/4 tank of gas. No junk in the trunk.

DRVING: I time most redlights so I`m at a slow 2nd gear roll if it`s a short light (the brake pads last a bit longer as well), instead of going faster to the light so I can sit for 10 seconds. Plenty of gear skips on putzing acceleration too: 1-3-5, etc. I cruise at about 1600-2000 rpm when possible. Highway driving is 60-70 mph. I don`t know that 75+ would change mileage for the worse too badly though - the Z is slippery and pretty tall geared in 6th.

My best is 32mpg for a 20 mile drive mostly on the highway. I know this isn`t exciting stuff, but besides being able to pummel several sporty cars in accel/handling (yep, it gets driven hard too) , it`s icing on the cake to know you`re getting about 10-12 mpg more! Sorry Rx-8`s... You`re rotatries are buttery smooth though!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:09 PM
teacher

Default Pour righting

"You`re rotatries..." Um, yeah. So my username now has to change...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
rolling

in addition to most of the ubove mentiond steps some thing else i do is Allot of coasting, espically on down slopes,

5 to 10 lbs. extra air pressure (less rolling resistance) not that my all 4 265 tire width helps.. minimizing wind resistance/ turbulance espically underbody..

for the extreme type you could always use clear packaging tape allong body pannel seams, removing radio antenna, mirrors, spoilers, body kits,

use emergency spares on all 4 corners-- reduces both weight and wind resistance and forces you to stay at 55 ish!! the last one alone may put you in the 30;s hehe

anyways,
put put on!! for me the z is fun at ANY speed

Orrrrrrr best yet in MY opinion...
Bush should get middle east to give us SUPER discounted or free
oil for our gazillion $$ in aid and loss of life
but anyway i digress
Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 AM
ttsupra94

I've always wondered how people get such low gas mileage. When I was in college and driving around campus at very low speeds, I was getting about 18, but normal driving around my house i get at least 22. I drive about 100 miles a day to and from work and get about 29 mpg. I also shift early most of the time, in 6th by 40mph, but i still do some high rpms sometimes.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
ReavTek

Shift below 2000 RPM? That doesn't sound like much fun. I'd rather just spend the extra $5 at the pump in "wasted" gas and have fun with my little VQ35DE 6000 RPM trips. I'll save the putt putt driving for when I'm an old fart driving a Corvette in the fast lane at 45 mph pissing off all the younguns in their new fangled 450Zs! XD
Old 11-30-2004, 08:20 PM
mdracer76
Banned

i'm gonna have to try short shifting before 2K RPM ... I'm getting on avg. 15 to 17 MPG.

Guess it doesnt help that I have my foot in it allot

Gas prices SUCK
Old 12-01-2004, 12:21 AM
s4m222

isnt it bad to skip gears, 1,3,5 etc.. as someone suggested... wears out synchros more or something... (not sure, correct me if im wrong) its better to wind through each... if u wanna skip dont get a stick?!?!

dont most bolt on performance mods free up engine HP, they dont GIVE u more hp they free it up so they are making ur car more effiecient... so if u got intake head exahust u probably get better mileage if u continue the same driving habits... but i dont know if the cost would ever balance out haha =) but still worth it ! lolz drive @ 60, vs 75 on freeway... be in the right gear... dont bog on hills and dont rev high without reason

shouldnt expect too much out of a V6 =) there are 4 bangersthan get worse mileage... and most V6s out there get worse milege too 20 mpg for a v6 is good stuff