Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO LSD Break in procedure???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
zfastest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NISMO LSD Break in procedure???

Well gang, finally got my Nismo GT Pro LSD installed this past weekend, and was hoping somebody here would help guide me on proper break in procedure. The manual says to drive 180 miles at 20mph in figure 8's. I did that for about 4 hours until I realized that I hadn't even come close to the manuals suggested break in period. This is crazy, could it be correct that you have to break it in this much mileage and low speed?!?!!?

I tried searching for info related to this, but of course just when I need it, the search doesnt work!!
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=67011
Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, Kaaz's website has a awesome how to on the break in process. Also does a good job of explaining just how important it is. I don't have it book marked, I'll try and find if for you on yahoo or google.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Gsedan35

Well that was fast, it should be here.

http://www.kaazusa.com/faq.asp
Old 03-31-2004, 07:56 AM
zfastest

Thanks, saw that already, it's says why it's important which is good info....but...I was more hoping to hear from somebody else that has installed the Nismo LSD. Maybe somebody from Performance Nissan parts could chime in here???

What did you do to break yours in? At what mileage did you change the fluid for the first time? Has anybody heard first hand from Nissan how to get this thing proper for hard & heavy use?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Gsedan35

Originally posted by zfastest
Thanks, saw that already, it's says why it's important which is good info....but...I was more hoping to hear from somebody else that has installed the Nismo LSD. Maybe somebody from Performance Nissan parts could chime in here???

What did you do to break yours in? At what mileage did you change the fluid for the first time? Has anybody heard first hand from Nissan how to get this thing proper for hard & heavy use?
Below is the specific info I was trying to draw you to on the Kaaz site.

"We understand that most car owners who use the mechanical L.S.D. are very disturbed by the chattering noise. As mentioned previously, the chattering noise comes from the friction between the clutch plates. This situation is normally caused by not doing enough break in and bad angle fit between the clutch plates."

"The best to break in and remove the noise is by driving in a “figure 8” pattern as shown below for about 30 minutes and let the plates rub in to form a good fit. If this initial break in is not performed and too much torque is applied to the L.S.D. at once, the plates will form strange angles. Then the chattering noise will continue and may even cause damage to the L.S.D."

"The oil used in the L.S.D. could also contribute to the noise problem. Poor quality oils contain large amount of tiny grains of metal which cause chattering noises. If noise still occurs after break in, try changing the L.S.D. oil. This usually eliminates or reduces the noise. Oil which contains large amount of added chemicals will cause noise too. "

Last edited by Gsedan35; 03-31-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 AM
g356gear

Try doing it for 30 min straight.....thought I was gonna hurl.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 AM
zfastest

Originally posted by g356gear
Try doing it for 30 min straight.....thought I was gonna hurl.
Ummm...yeah, I did it for almost 4 hours straight. Well then according to Kaaz, my diff is very well broken in. But according to the info in the NISMO manual that came with it, it's not because I didn't go the full 180 miles that nissan reccomends. I think I'm just going to do another 40 miles or so of very easy driving, change the fluid, and then HAMMER it.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:09 AM
zfastest

Geez, where are all my manners, thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:05 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please report back and let us know how it went. Quiet is good.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:45 PM
zfastest

Originally posted by zillinois
Please report back and let us know how it went. Quiet is good.
I sure will, I'm A LOT more concerned with it being effective, durable, and reliable. I could care less if it's quiet, but I'll let you all know for sure what it's like after it's all broken in and ready to get hell.

Thanks guys...