Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rebar removal with IC install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:26 PM
SammyJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rebar removal with IC install?

I am about to have the GReddy twin turbo installed on my G35 in a week or two and I am being told that I have to have the front piece of rebar removed from the bumper in order for the Intercooler to fit. I don't know if this has already been discussed or not but if someone could tell me if this is true for the Z as well?

I am a little worried that there won't be anything protecting the intercooler if the rebar is removed.

Any information would be very helpfull to me, Thanks.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM
scubasteve

I have been doing a bit of researching. What you bring up is a concern of mine with the Greddy kit. I believe that you have to remove the aluminum bumper to install the intercooler. I read about someone's install of the PE unit and did not have to remove the aluminum bumper. Makes me concerned also.....looking for a TT unit this summer.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:44 PM
SammyJL

I've read through the install instructions for the intercooler on the Z and there is no mention of removing the aluminum bar.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:48 PM
jesseenglish

There are several people on this very forum who have done Greddy installs and they confirm that yes you must remove the aluminum bumper. I personally would not be comfortable with that, for insurance purposes. If there's an accident, you have illegally modified your car and removed safety devices. I would think the insurance company could use that to not pay out.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:59 PM
SammyJL

Originally posted by jesseenglish
There are several people on this very forum who have done Greddy installs and they confirm that yes you must remove the aluminum bumper. I personally would not be comfortable with that, for insurance purposes. If there's an accident, you have illegally modified your car and removed safety devices. I would think the insurance company could use that to not pay out.
So if that's the case then if you buy the new bumper that GReddy is selling on their web site does the rebar still have to be removed? I would rather purchase the new bumper than have to deal with the insurance company.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:07 PM
jesseenglish

It's not the front plastic fascia, I think it's more that the IC is too thick to fit behind the aluminum bumper. It might be possible to put a spacer on it to make the aluminum bar stick out more so the IC will fit. There's a good 3-4 inches between the plastic fascia and the aluminum bumper so there is room to play with. I don't have a Greddy kit though so I can't confirm what the actual cause is.

I do know that the PE TT kit and the ATI Procharger SC kit IC's fit behind it.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:10 PM
SammyJL

It's not the front plastic fascia, I think it's more that the IC is too thick to fit behind the aluminum bumper. It might be possible to put a spacer on it to make the aluminum bar stick out more so the IC will fit. There's a good 3-4 inches between the plastic fascia and the aluminum bumper so there is room to play with. I don't have a Greddy kit though so I can't confirm what the actual cause is.

I thought maybe with the new bumper the intercooler would be positioned lower than if you were to use the stock bumper, allowing you to keep the rebar in place. Wishfull thinking probably.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
2003z

As does the stillen
Old 04-04-2004, 10:54 AM
spazpilot

Greddy kit, you have to remove the bumper support to fit the intercooler. Its to big, Hieght, width, and length and no matter what bumper cover you use the bumper will have to go. I own the kit and installed it myself. No way without fabricating a custom bumper. CJ
Old 04-04-2004, 07:12 PM
SammyJL

The question is if I buy the GReddy bumper with the opening for the IC, will the IC be mounted below the bumper support or still in the same location.

If it isn't then I think that I will look into the fabricating of a custom bumper support. At least there will be some protection in the case of a fender bender.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:26 PM
SlamMan

It will mount in the same location. I can't see how the new bumper cover would change where the IC mounts.

What about notching the bumper support like on the GReddy IC kit for the Civic Si. Or how about a smaller IC that would fit under the bumper support.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:39 PM
350Now

I have also installed my own Greddy kit and the rebar has to be removed. The IC is too big and will need all the real estate in the front. Part of the connecting point for the aluminum rebar is covered by the IC. A custom fab is required to make this work. Let us know what you come up with if you do a custom mount. Are you sure Greddy has a new bumper or is it just their lip spoiler?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:06 AM
SammyJL

Originally posted by 350Now
I have also installed my own Greddy kit and the rebar has to be removed. The IC is too big and will need all the real estate in the front. Part of the connecting point for the aluminum rebar is covered by the IC. A custom fab is required to make this work. Let us know what you come up with if you do a custom mount. Are you sure Greddy has a new bumper or is it just their lip spoiler?
GReddy has a new bumper. It is the one that was at the SEMA show and it is on their website but they don't have a price for it yet which means that it probably isn't released yet.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2004, 11:55 AM
G35SC T.T.

Originally posted by SammyJL
GReddy has a new bumper. It is the one that was at the SEMA show and it is on their website but they don't have a price for it yet which means that it probably isn't released yet.
i didnt have to remove my support....
oops forgot i got that other kit with dual intercoolers...from sfr/ssr
should of just waited...
Old 04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
SammyJL

Originally posted by G35SC T.T.
i didnt have to remove my support....
oops forgot i got that other kit with dual intercoolers...from sfr/ssr
should of just waited...
Yea, but the dealer that is installing it for me is still giving me full warranty on the car. What did your installer give you?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:47 PM
G3po

Default IC and G35 bumper

When doing a TT on the G35 ,
If you don't want to wait for JWT or use SSR etc.
You could just buy the Greddy setup without IC and
Have a custom Twin IC and plumbing setup fabbed.
The Twin IC setup positions the ICs behind the two factory openings already on the stock G bumper and definately retains the Aluminum cross-member. Personally I'm waiting for JWT.
I would have considered SSR , but they are not seeking a CARB EO , and i'm in Nor Cal.