Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stillen selling the SMT6 piggy back!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 AM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stillen selling the SMT6 piggy back!?!?!

Good afternoon,

So yesterday I come home and the latest Stillen catalogue is waiting for me. I start to flip through it when I see a new piggy back ECU they are selling.

Since it is not listed on their site and not everyone has the mag, here is what is says:

Page 12:
"Stillen VQ-Pro
We developed the VQ Pro to control air/fuel ratios and ignition timing beyond the stock ECU's programming. This provides better fuel/air management, increasing the overall performance of your 350Z or G35. While there are power gains throughout the entire RPM band, the most dramatic gains are felt above Mid-Throttle and extend to redline. This unit wires directly to your stock ECU, unlocking the hidden performance in your vehicle. Progam may include dual mapping depending on vehicle and trim. Also includes bypass connector that returns ECU to stock programming mode.

Applications:
03 - Up Nissan 350Z, Part# TBA
03 - Up Nissan G35 Coupe, Part# TBA
03 - Up Nissan G35 Sedan, Part# TBA"

As soon as I read the part about the bypass connector, I thought "that sounds like the Perfect Power SMT6 that some people were working on". So, I went to the PerfectPower.com web site and saw an image of the SMT 6. Sure enough, it looks just like the Stillen unit pictured in the catalogue. The only difference is the logo on the box.

So, anyone have more information about this? When did Stillen start working on the SMT6? Also, do you think they overcame the CEL issues that the other people had?

Personally, I am interested in this because my first dyno the other day revealed that I am running lean (14.8 at 4000rpm). However, I do not think it is programmable by the customer. Furthermore, how would this work if you already have many mods? Would it cause issues.

Okay, just something new to discuss. Take care y'all.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14.8 at 4k???omfg get something for that please! personally i ended up using the safc2 since its much cheaper and a lot more tuners know how to use it. its only disadvantage is that it cant control timing but you probably dont need to do anything with that unless you go fi.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM
peptidbond

Oh I plan on doing something about it. I doubt it will be this Stillen product. I will likely go the TechnoSquare flash route. At any rate, I am already in the process of getting my info together for the flash. I knew I was running lean because of my mods, so I got the dyno only for the A/F info.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:11 AM
supirio

Originally posted by peptidbond
Oh I plan on doing something about it. I doubt it will be this Stillen product. I will likely go the TechnoSquare flash route. At any rate, I am already in the process of getting my info together for the flash. I knew I was running lean because of my mods, so I got the dyno only for the A/F info.
When I got dyno'd they just put something in the tailpipe to read air/fuel, I heard that its not as accurate though as having the sensor welded into your cat or something like that? having it closer to the engine for more accurate readings, my mods will be very similar to yours, I'm worried if I put the Cats/Plenum on I too will be lean, how were your hp numbers by the way? thx
Old 04-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are over reacting. I know everycar will be slightly different but look...I have a JWT popcharger/Crawford Plenum/Test-Pipes/Injen SES...and my air/fuel ratios looked good, even slightly rich. I was pretty much 13:1 across the board and it slowly richened up as the res went up. By redline I am around 12:1 maybe slightly richer....you guys dont need this piggyback BS or a fash, just awaste of $$$ imo for the mods you guys have.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
alex30327

Default Re: Stillen selling the SMT6 piggy back!?!?!

Good afternoon,

So yesterday I come home and the latest Stillen catalogue is waiting for me. I start to flip through it when I see a new piggy back ECU they are selling.

Since it is not listed on their site and not everyone has the mag, here is what is says:

Page 12:
"Stillen VQ-Pro
We developed the VQ Pro to control air/fuel ratios and ignition timing beyond the stock ECU's programming. This provides better fuel/air management, increasing the overall performance of your 350Z or G35. While there are power gains throughout the entire RPM band, the most dramatic gains are felt above Mid-Throttle and extend to redline. This unit wires directly to your stock ECU, unlocking the hidden performance in your vehicle. Progam may include dual mapping depending on vehicle and trim. Also includes bypass connector that returns ECU to stock programming mode.

Applications:
03 - Up Nissan 350Z, Part# TBA
03 - Up Nissan G35 Coupe, Part# TBA
03 - Up Nissan G35 Sedan, Part# TBA"

As soon as I read the part about the bypass connector, I thought "that sounds like the Perfect Power SMT6 that some people were working on". So, I went to the PerfectPower.com web site and saw an image of the SMT 6. Sure enough, it looks just like the Stillen unit pictured in the catalogue. The only difference is the logo on the box.

So, anyone have more information about this? When did Stillen start working on the SMT6? Also, do you think they overcame the CEL issues that the other people had?

Personally, I am interested in this because my first dyno the other day revealed that I am running lean (14.8 at 4000rpm). However, I do not think it is programmable by the customer. Furthermore, how would this work if you already have many mods? Would it cause issues.

Okay, just something new to discuss. Take care y'all.

14.8 A/F ration is ok at 4,000 RPM. You want to make sure that you are at least in the low 13's at redline though. Ignore the people that tell you that you are running lean, as they do n ot know what they are talking about.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:55 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally posted by Alberto
You guys are over reacting. I know everycar will be slightly different but look...I have a JWT popcharger/Crawford Plenum/Test-Pipes/Injen SES...and my air/fuel ratios looked good, even slightly rich. I was pretty much 13:1 across the board and it slowly richened up as the res went up. By redline I am around 12:1 maybe slightly richer....you guys dont need this piggyback BS or a fash, just awaste of $$$ imo for the mods you guys have.
well seeing how my a/f was 13.8-14.0 all the way up to about 5200 rpms do you think i over reacted by getting an safc? its not just that but you can also gain power by tuning. now if i were in the low to mid 13s i would not have cared, but to even hit 14.8!!!thats not good at all, and i dont care what anyone says you should never hit that under WOT.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Tim'sZ

On my last dyno with the addition of NISMO Cams, we were between 12.1 and 13.6 on the Y-Band, better hp peak where the car was running around the 12.1, camshafts like the fuel. Have not dynoed since I added NISMO headers, don't expect the A/F to change too much. Peak rwhp was 259 and rwt was 246 w/o headers.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
well seeing how my a/f was 13.8-14.0 all the way up to about 5200 rpms do you think i over reacted by getting an safc? its not just that but you can also gain power by tuning. now if i were in the low to mid 13s i would not have cared, but to even hit 14.8!!!thats not good at all, and i dont care what anyone says you should never hit that under WOT.
You wont blow up your motor NA on that air/fuel, but I do agree I would want it richer. At what rpm did you hit 14.8:1 a/f? I would bet it was down low under 3500 rpm's and not up top where it matters...most all cars I've seen run leaner down low....
Old 04-06-2004, 01:26 PM
peptidbond

how were your hp numbers by the way? thx
I will say later
You are right, every car will be different. I have the A/F info in hand that essentially states I could gain power by correcting my A/F. It is totally out of whack. This may not be the case for others though. For me, I need it.
14.8 A/F ration is ok at 4,000 RPM. You want to make sure that you are at least in the low 13's at redline though. Ignore the people that tell you that you are running lean, as they do n ot know what they are talking about.
You are right to a point. 14.8 is not dangerously lean, but I can gain power by having it tuned to a better spot.
At what rpm did you hit 14.8:1 a/f?
Sorry, I don't have a scan of the chart. However, here are the A/F numbers:
16.3 @ 2200 rpm
15.4 @ 2500 rpm
14.3 @ 3000 rpm
14.0 @ 3500 rpm
14.8 @ 3850 rpm
14.6 @ 4000 rpm
14.0 @ 4500 rpm
13.5 @ 4750 rpm
13.8 @ 5000 rpm
13.5 @ 5500 rpm
12.9 @ 6000 rpm
12.6 @ 6500 rpm

At the top end, I am okay. However, the mid-range is out of whack and I think there is power to be gained there. Okay, enough about me, back to the Stillen SMT6 unit.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:57 PM
booger

I will say later

You are right, every car will be different. I have the A/F info in hand that essentially states I could gain power by correcting my A/F. It is totally out of whack. This may not be the case for others though. For me, I need it.

You are right to a point. 14.8 is not dangerously lean, but I can gain power by having it tuned to a better spot.

Sorry, I don't have a scan of the chart. However, here are the A/F numbers:
16.3 @ 2200 rpm
15.4 @ 2500 rpm
14.3 @ 3000 rpm
14.0 @ 3500 rpm
14.8 @ 3850 rpm
14.6 @ 4000 rpm
14.0 @ 4500 rpm
13.5 @ 4750 rpm
13.8 @ 5000 rpm
13.5 @ 5500 rpm
12.9 @ 6000 rpm
12.6 @ 6500 rpm

At the top end, I am okay. However, the mid-range is out of whack and I think there is power to be gained there. Okay, enough about me, back to the Stillen SMT6 unit.
My A/F looked just like this...then I did reflash the ECU...The A/F ended up around 12.5 across the board....and I gained 9whp mid range...and 5whp on top...and about the same for TRQ