Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

are there any autos that are having problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 05:55 AM
shimz350z

Default are there any autos that are having problems?

just wanted to see an update on the auto's with any transmission problems...which seem to be engulfing the manuals.

my car's transmission feels perfect on auto mode...except a sometimes when I was in manumatic mode...i would downshift from 3rd to 2nd(not agressively) and it would make a soft clunk noise...and from 2nd-1st. So i strayed away from manumatic...and left it on auto

Old 04-05-2004 | 07:40 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?
Premier Member

My auto is doing fine also. Like you said if I'm creeping along with hardly any gas on, and I shift into "manumatic" mode, there is a loud clunk and the car jerks.
Old 04-05-2004 | 09:31 AM
fblue

Default Re: are there any autos that are having problems?

Originally posted by shimZ
just wanted to see an update on the auto's with any transmission problems...which seem to be engulfing the manuals.

my car's transmission feels perfect on auto mode...except a sometimes when I was in manumatic mode...i would downshift from 3rd to 2nd(not agressively) and it would make a soft clunk noise...and from 2nd-1st. So i strayed away from manumatic...and left it on auto

I had the same problem when downshifting to second. I think it isn't a big deal. It only happens once in a while.

By the way, does anyone with the automatic notice that the car jumps a little when shifting from park to Reverse or Drive? It jumps more than my 2003 Xterra does and I expected the Z to be more refined than an Xterra. This "jump" happens to the Z all the time, even when it is warmed up. It's not a major jump, but more than I would expect from a sports car like the Z. See if you have the same problem. If so, I'd feel better knowing that it is something that is normal for the car model, not a problem with my particular car.
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:06 PM
NVthis350

yeah i notice that "jump" also. is that bad?
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:41 PM
fblue

I thought it could be the motor mounts, as one of my first cars (a junker) had that problem. If so, that would be covered under the warranty. I had the car in the shop this weekend getting the oil changed and the technician said it wasn't anything, but I never trust mechanics. I just thought the Z would not have this jump if the Xterra didn't have it. It's probably nothing.
Old 04-05-2004 | 07:52 PM
shimz350z

mine jumps ONLY ALMOST 99% of the time when it's not warmed up...it suprised me once...and never left my conscience...and to my observation this is what i concluded

i don't think it's a biggy.

if your car is warmed up and it's happening...then at least with my experience maybe something is a "biggy"
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:22 PM
BlueDemonZ

When in manumatic mode you shouldn't downshift from 2nd to 1st...it's not good for the trans....you need to let the car do it on it's own. mine does it from 3rd to 2nd sometimes but not everytime....bu from 2nd to 1st it always does it and a friend of mine that has been driving manumatics for quite a while told me that he was told by the dealership not to downshift from 2nd to 1st cause it can cause transmission problems. I don't have any actual technical info to support this claim but I thought I would try to throw in my 2 cents to help.
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:28 PM
BlueDemonZ

I did notice a little problem with my car but it doesn't have anything to do with it being automatic. When I hit about 130 mph i start hearing a wheezing type sound. I'm not really sure if it is just the air passing by so fast or if there is some sort of problem. I told the deakership the other week when i had it in for inspection and they said if it's anything over 60 mph they can't do anything about it. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2004 | 05:50 PM
JonsilvZ

I had the AT check light blink. I was in manual mode drving aggressive then put it to "auto" while driving. I thought the tranny went because it was going crazy not staying in gear. It was a simple procedure. Just shut off engine and wait several sec. Everything back to normal. Anyway when I'm in traffic I always have it in "auto". I dont think any auto Zs trannies were replaced.
Old 04-06-2004 | 06:05 PM
350tre

i have an 04 auto, when i am in manumatic mode and i downshift from 3-2 it is a little "jumpy" at times. i do downshift from 2 to 1st also, and i have to say bluedemon that your claim does not really make any sense; why would downshifting to ONLY first be bad, and heresay can also be said of your comment, your friend was told by a dealer, who(the dealer) is usually full on siht tio begin with. i do not mean to be critical but people should also not be mislead by heresay gossip of sorts. also, i am really glad that i choose the auto over the stick.i read about the problems withb the manual and decided to avoid it. however it is annoying to refute peoples responses of "why did you get an auto with this car". what i say(not really) is because i wanted everyone to fin harass me :O)
Old 04-06-2004 | 06:58 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?
Premier Member

Originally posted by 350tre
however it is annoying to refute peoples responses of "why did you get an auto with this car". what i say(not really) is because i wanted everyone to fin harass me :O)
I just tell them it's because I'm paying for it
Old 04-06-2004 | 08:57 PM
MySunset350Z

knock on wood. about to go on 12k miles, and no tranny problems so far. the rest of the car is another story.

i do have the problem you mentioned though with the car "clunk" in 2nd gear. it happens whever i shift down from 2nd to 1st, or even when im in 2nd and come to a stop and let the car shift itself down from 2nd to 1st. i usually just stay in 3rd when coming to a stop and let the car shift itself down to 1st, and no noise there. never had a clunk shifting from 3rd down to 2nd though.
Old 04-07-2004 | 01:45 PM
BlueDemonZ

Allright 350tre keep doing it and when you tranny goes we'll see who can say told ya so. Ever drive a manual car? The only time on manual that you downshift to 1st is when you're already stopped. If you downshift to 1st in a manual car at most any speed over 5 mph it whips you. But go on and keep doing it...it's your car..what do I care if it blows!
Old 04-18-2004 | 08:56 PM
jmdrummerboy77

Default my auto tranny replacement

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
I had the AT check light blink. I was in manual mode drving aggressive then put it to "auto" while driving. I thought the tranny went because it was going crazy not staying in gear. It was a simple procedure. Just shut off engine and wait several sec. Everything back to normal. Anyway when I'm in traffic I always have it in "auto". I dont think any auto Zs trannies were replaced.

i had my 5at replaced under warranty at around 7k. It would shift into neutral or wouldnt shift before the rev limiter hit, would also go into neutral in manumatic mode. it was very all of a sudden. anyway a local dealer not, where i purchased it by the way, replaced it very quickly and were very nice, (all star nissan baton rouge LA). Prior to that no problems with the tranny, the replacement is fine except occasionally it shifts rough from 2nd to 1st in manual mode (i'm not downshifting its doing it automatically)- but it NEVER happens in auto mode. I also feel the occasional jump into drive, reverse but this happens mostly when i park on slight inclines, nothing too steep around here
Old 04-18-2004 | 11:59 PM
shinz

I have a problem with the manumatic but im not sure if anyone else experiences the same thing. Going WOT in first gear, the car takes forever to shift and i end up bouncing off the rev limiter for a second or 2, then it shifts. Anyone else?
Old 04-19-2004 | 04:09 AM
350ZOWNZ

I have had 0 problems with the auto...

The only thing is i notice if i downshift from 3rd to 2nd at around 2000-4000RPM it does jump. But if i downshift at any other RPM (higher or Lower) its fine....

Never had a problem downshifting into first. Of course i dont do it that often
Old 04-19-2004 | 08:26 AM
ajk4

Originally posted by BlueDemonZ
Allright 350tre keep doing it and when you tranny goes we'll see who can say told ya so. Ever drive a manual car? The only time on manual that you downshift to 1st is when you're already stopped. If you downshift to 1st in a manual car at most any speed over 5 mph it whips you. But go on and keep doing it...it's your car..what do I care if it blows!
uh lets not jump to conclusions here. while yes, both automatic and manuals are transmissions, they each function in very different ways. its almost an apples and oranges comparison.
Old 07-13-2004 | 09:12 PM
Omega350Z

My 5AT 2003 Touring is now at teh dealership for my 2nd replacement transmission. I dont even have 16k miles on teh car yet and i do not abuse my car whatsoever. No one else i know with the automatic transmission seems to have the problem.

Basic description of problem: at and above 2500 rpms the driveline starts to make a winding grinding noise. after a mile or so, there is barely just enough left in the car to buck wildly like an old clutch catching and slipping and catching and slipping and so forth...

Last time i had about a week notice of this problem and had a dealer tell me they couldnt get it to make the noises, told me to go back where i bought it and on my way there the car stopped having any forward momentum and i had to have it towed to the second closest dealer, not going back to the one that just sent me on my way....

This time, within 1/2 mile of my house, in traffic, the problem noises arose, and without warning got louder and transmission started slipping in all gears. I barely managed to get the car back to my house where i proceeded to call cosumer affairs and my roadside assistance to have the car taken away for another new tranny.

Right now my car is in the shop waiting on a new tranny, new front tires, new suspension components to eliminate teh creaking noises that make themselves heard upon starting to move forward or backwards, and when i begin to apply the brakes, and also replacement of suspension components under the hood of the car that are making a popping clunk noise when turning radius of teh car is too tight out of my driveway.

Needless to say, im very dissapointed in teh quality of my Z and in teh process of finding a new car to either trade in on, or take my complaints up with nissan to see what they will do for me to ease the pain of all these problems.
Old 07-13-2004 | 10:20 PM
shimz350z

my autos been great thus far...at 24,000 miles..seriously. you're probably one out of hundreds of thousands of "autos" having that problem. You're in what burb of chicago? i'm in niles.
Old 07-13-2004 | 11:13 PM
Z8M

Originally posted by BlueDemonZ
When in manumatic mode you shouldn't downshift from 2nd to 1st...it's not good for the trans....you need to let the car do it on it's own. mine does it from 3rd to 2nd sometimes but not everytime....bu from 2nd to 1st it always does it and a friend of mine that has been driving manumatics for quite a while told me that he was told by the dealership not to downshift from 2nd to 1st cause it can cause transmission problems. I don't have any actual technical info to support this claim but I thought I would try to throw in my 2 cents to help.
You shouldn't have any problem downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I do it all the time if I feel that the 2nd gear is lagging. You just have to be aware of your present speed or rpm's. You'll add about 1000-1200 rpms on top of your current rpm at the time of the shift.

Quick Reply: are there any autos that are having problems?