Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

PROOF!!! Normally aspirated mods do almost nothing!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nismo mods are crap...my car with just a K&N drop in dynoed 237 whp. After 4 bolt-ons not including headers, I now hit 254 whp, all numbers SAE corrected, not to mention my trap speed went up 3-4 mph with mods than when I ran stock. *** SCC, and *** Nismo-overpriced $hit.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, I wasn't going to post but hey, I'm bored.

Your title is misleading and is generating all the responses. Contrary to the title of this thread, that article was not proof that normal aspirated mods do almost nothing. That article proved that the S-Tune & Z-Tune Nismo modifications did not produce significant engine gains and that the overall modifications are not a good value.

The $14,000 spent on modifications did improve overall performance of a stock Z and it's obvious that if all you're looking for is horsepower/torque gains, the money would have been better spent with forced induction.

However, normal aspirated mods do provide proven gains. Since, as you've mentioned a few times, you're new and, since the search feature is down, someone can summarize the past year and a half of this forum dedicated to people trying out new mods. I'm sure there are people who will disagree but, generally speaking value based performance mods break down like this:

1. Procharger 6.5 hp $100
2. UR Pulley 5-10 hp (in accel/not dyno) $200
3. Plenum 4-7 hp $400
4. Testpipe/high-flow cats 7-11 hp $400
5. Exhaust 7-15 hp $650

I've excluded headers and cams because the time involved with installation is 6 - 10 hours which makes the horsepower to dollar gains not worthwhile and represents money better spent on saving for FI.

Testpipes/highflow cats and exhaust, as McDuck mentioned above are exceptional values because if you do go FI at a later date, expect 30-50 hp improvement over just a stock + FI set-up.

As you know, the above hp numbers do not directly add up. If you do the basic intake, pulley and exhaust work, you can expect a 15-20 hp gain over stock for less than $1,500.

For an additional $1,500 to $2,000, you can cheaply improve your suspension and add some nice stuff like a lightweight flywheel.

However, you're absolutely right about that article, I don't see the S-Tune or the R-Tune anywhere near a good value since you can do most of the same by going with non-Nismo aftermarket parts for about $10,000 less. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:40 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Speedracer
Once again...I AM NEW TO THE Z!!!
Then why are you lecturing everyone on something you apparently don't know enough about?

Put down the magazines and do some of your own research once in a while. Stop feeding off these stupid articles that are influenced by sponsors. Magazines are out to make money from current and potential advertisers.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Speedracer

I'm referring to this motor, which is already highly tuned from the factory, or other highly tuned factory NA motors like the BMW M3 or Honda S2000. The Mustang GT....let's see....265hp from 4.6 liters...not the same class of engine. One shouldn't have to spend $5k on engine mods, then have to think about whether the car feels faster...know what I mean. I want to feel a clear cut, no questions difference. Otherwise, FOR ME, it's not worth the $$$.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by zxsaint
Then why are you lecturing everyone on something you apparently don't know enough about?

Put down the magazines and do some of your own research once in a while. Stop feeding off these stupid articles that are influenced by sponsors. Magazines are out to make money from current and potential advertisers.
thank you
Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Tim'sZ

Alberto, I think you meant IN YOUR OPINION NISMO is crap because it is nothing more than your opinion and your opinion is worth nothing since you have never had NISMO parts on your car, possibly because you could not afford them. Anyone that brags that the only mod they could afford was a K&N filter and claim it gave them an additional 5 rwhp definitely is not a candidate for NISMO Parts, try your local Wal-Mart for some more bolt ons and while your at it, pick up some soap for your foul mouth. JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Tim'sZ

NICELY PUT ZXSAINT......
Old 04-13-2004, 10:33 AM
mcduck

1. Procharger 6.5 hp $100
I believe you mean PopCharger ... Procharger very different.

Also... a footnote worth mentioning to HFM's post... many of the mods in question produce gains in off peak horsepower and/or torque. This means you get increased area under the curve (which is also good), but you may not see a big increase in peak horsepower.

A good example of this are the various aftermarket plenums that are available. I think all of these produce small gains at peak (5-8rwhp), but huge gains at redline vs. stock (15+ rwhp)

Last edited by mcduck; 04-13-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Speedracer

Okay....I'll admit it......

I did deliberately title my post the way I did to get people a little revved up. I do know that that there are some decent NA mods that will yield a little increase in power. Even if there is no significant power increase, they can certainly make the car feel smoother in its power delivery. Still, for obvious gains that you can easily feel, you really need Nitrous or FI. You shouldn't have to say...Hmmm, I just spent $4000 in parts and labor. Gee....I think it feels faster".
Old 04-13-2004, 10:56 AM
3rdpower

Well you got what you want - i'm sure you had your flame suit on for this one. Be advised... going fast and staying planted are two different things. This car handles fairly well and is fairly balanced... again, different mods yield different results.

Personally I want my car to go fast as hell and go through corners planted. Best of both worlds cost money - hence the Nismo 350Z which is a track car build up. I mean honestly, are you going to spend $1,300 on a oil cooler???
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NISMO R-Tune Package does not include High Flow Cats or Test Pipes of any kind...

You can do as much as you want to your motor and exhaust... but if you keep those stock Cats on you are killing your self... Taking them of of jeffs car and putting on high flow cats after he installed nismo cams / cai / headers etc etc... just changing the cats alone added 18RWHP additional to what he gained with the cams etc...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM
pimp1911

I can back up what Jason is saying. I got 18 from just cats and exhaust. So for you to say NA doesnt gain anything but 10hp is false.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:51 PM
350trackz

I am in the same boat as webcarconnection (JWT cams are the **** !!!). I hit 280rwhp BUT did not have pullies or a flywheel in ... those together should make 15 or so putting me at 295ish rwhp.

Guess the NA mods didn't net much huh ? I never baselined but the average is about 235, so it is safe to say I gained 60rwhp for way less than $14k. And for the record, I have EXACTLY 0 Nismo cr@p.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:56 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by 350trackz
I am in the same boat as webcarconnection (JWT cams are the **** !!!). I hit 280rwhp BUT did not have pullies or a flywheel in ... those together should make 15 or so putting me at 295ish rwhp.

Guess the NA mods didn't net much huh ? I never baselined but the average is about 235, so it is safe to say I gained 60rwhp for way less than $14k. And for the record, I have EXACTLY 0 Nismo cr@p.
i dont think lightweight flywheel and pullies will give u any gain in peak hp.but it'll help @ ur hp curve.
back on the topic.
there are still many hp u can squeez out of vq35.
but itz just bling bling.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 PM
DanF

I think it's interesting that some of you speak of saving what you would have spent on headers to purchase FI. Or just add nitrous. Both will benefit tremendously from headers. But headers suited for an NA engine are not always the best choice for FI or chemical injection.

Last edited by DanF; 04-13-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Static

To be quite honest.. I don't really like nor respect what SCC has to say.. they never have their **** straight and there is always loop holes and buts/if's and what have you's in their articles that they try to make all 'official' . Frankly, I really don't think they know what they are talking about...

Perfect example.. from day 1, they tested the Z with some sort of makeshift crap a$$ exhaust that wasn't even designed for the car.. and claimed.. "The Z won't get much out of an aftermarket exhaust system.. the stock is almost perfect".. what? What a bunch of chumps.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:21 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Static
To be quite honest.. I don't really like nor respect what SCC has to say.. they never have their **** straight and there is always loop holes and buts/if's and what have you's in their articles that they try to make all 'official' . Frankly, I really don't think they know what they are talking about...

Perfect example.. from day 1, they tested the Z with some sort of makeshift crap a$$ exhaust that wasn't even designed for the car.. and claimed.. "The Z won't get much out of an aftermarket exhaust system.. the stock is almost perfect".. what? What a bunch of chumps.
lol
Old 04-13-2004, 01:24 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Wasn't it SCC that claimed x hp gains from filling the Z with 100 octane?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Tim'sZ

350trackz, I'm still going to get that timing chain cover from you, just taking my time, you got to leave it outside sometime or another. It would look good with all my NISMO stuff, Hee Hee. Just got to give you props on that engine, you d man...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changing the crank pulley adds to the peak horse power and across the full RPM range...

changing the flywheel (which I have the lightest fly and smallest clutch for this car) definatly changes the acceleration HP curve but does not add peak horse power...

I bet a car with the TILTON flywheel and clutch ONLY

will beat a car with intake / headers / cams / exhaust on atrack...

Quick Reply: PROOF!!! Normally aspirated mods do almost nothing!!!!!