Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

PROOF!!! Normally aspirated mods do almost nothing!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
DanF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lighter flywheel and clutch combo will certainly allow the engine to rev much quicker than stock, but a free flowing exhaust will also let the engine rev quicker than stock. It would make for an interesting race.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 PM
350trackz

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
changing the crank pulley adds to the peak horse power and across the full RPM range...

changing the flywheel (which I have the lightest fly and smallest clutch for this car) definatly changes the acceleration HP curve but does not add peak horse power...

I bet a car with the TILTON flywheel and clutch ONLY

will beat a car with intake / headers / cams / exhaust on atrack...
My and Cody (FLY BY Z) know this to be the case. I have 18 more HP than hm, but he can pull on me ... not for long though

Tim ... car is always available for stripping ... just let me know when you are in Dallas and I'll hook you up It is about to have a big polished blower in front of it though PM me ... I'd be interested in meeting up with you this summer !!!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:11 PM
jasonbokamper

Default Re: PROOF!!! Normally aspirated mods do almost nothing!!!!!

Originally posted by Speedracer
Only the BMW M3 and Honda S2000 have higher specific outputs among non-exotics.
Ummm...VTEC DelSol back in the 90's did 160 HP on 1.6 liters NA. So that is 100hp per liter NA.

Check your facts...

I agree NA mods do not add massive amounts of HP, but you can tell the difference. I have just the Borla and Popcharger, and it sounds better and pulls harder. I did read the sport compact car article, and I agree with many of the people that responded to this, the Nismo stuff is not the best bang for your buck. Dyno's don't lie. No matter what they say...whether you think it is high or low, if you baseline at 235 and after mods get 255, that is a difference and you will notice it. Just don't expect it to be a dramatic change.

JB
Old 04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
I bet a car with the TILTON flywheel and clutch ONLY

will beat a car with intake / headers / cams / exhaust on atrack...
Thats a bit silly.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Grey Matter

How much of a difference does our crappy 91 octane gas here in CA make in these results?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Tim'sZ

Originally posted by 350trackz
My and Cody (FLY BY Z) know this to be the case. I have 18 more HP than hm, but he can pull on me ... not for long though

Tim ... car is always available for stripping ... just let me know when you are in Dallas and I'll hook you up It is about to have a big polished blower in front of it though PM me ... I'd be interested in meeting up with you this summer !!!
I am coming to Hot Import Nights in August so we will definitely hook up then. I might be up before then, the company I work for does the 3rd party billing for a bunch of health clubs in your area, The Ranch, Duncanville Athletic Club, All the Gold's Gyms, Irving Fitness and the list goes on.
Will let you know when I am heading that way.

Blower huh, you are making my car look bad, MUST HAVE MORE BLING BLING.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:03 AM
350trackz

Ain't no thing, to have alot of bling

Just let me know Tim, I'm sure a big Z get together can be organized for your arrival as well
Old 04-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Tim'sZ
Alberto, I think you meant IN YOUR OPINION NISMO is crap because it is nothing more than your opinion and your opinion is worth nothing since you have never had NISMO parts on your car, possibly because you could not afford them. Anyone that brags that the only mod they could afford was a K&N filter and claim it gave them an additional 5 rwhp definitely is not a candidate for NISMO Parts, try your local Wal-Mart for some more bolt ons and while your at it, pick up some soap for your foul mouth. JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!!
Lol, dont go off on me because I state my opinion. When was I bragging about me having a K&N drop in? When did I claim in this thread or any thread EVER that a drop in gives you 5whp? You can lash out at me to make yourself feel better about all those Nismo parts, like your worthless Nismo CAI, that is a rebadged AEM with a safety valve that actually hurts pefromance regardless of what Nismo says, I know this because I've done dyno tests on CAI vs pop-chargers, with my money, have you?. The only good Nismo mod you have are your headers, I should have stated that I do like the Nismo headers, by far the best out of anything they make. Do you think that fact that your mods say Nismo on them makes you or your car better? They dont, get off your power trip. Since you felt the need to personally attack me, I'll come back at you... Your Nismo suspension is junk compared to my JIC coilovers, you have no adjustability-ride height or dampening, around a road course you would be my *****.... but wait you can take corners harder because your Nismo seat belt pads would hold you in your seat better I guarantee you that even with your precious Nismo cams if I raced you in the 1/4 I would OWN you. Do you take your car to the track like me? Do you trap 104 mph in the 1/4? I do and with only 4 bolt-ons, guess what none of them Nismo. Do you dyno test all your parts like me? If you answered yes to any of the above post some numbers, and stop thinking all your Nismo parts are worth a damn. You tell me to go to Wal-Mart, just because I'm smart enough to stay away from overpriced, overly hyped up parts you think I'm cheap? Your the cheap bastard with a front lip, sideskirts and no rear? WTF if your gonna do a kit do it all Get off your Nismo high, because I'll knock you off of it everytime Now, try to reply to some of my questions without making yourself looking any gayer...

Last edited by Alberto; 04-14-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:55 AM
350trackz

Hey, almighty, omnicient Alberto that knows no wrong ... go take a dang Prozac. 4 bolt-ons and you got 254 ... hmm ... maybe your mods are cr@p too (or some of them). I have seen cars with 4 bolt ons (with factory exhaust) hit 262rwhp sae corrected ... so now what ?

If you knew Tim's entire story, you might be surprised. He is far from the "cheap" person you believe him to be. As for his "unfinished" body kit, ever think HE (the owner of the car and the only one that has to like it) may like it that way ?

You remind me of Daking so much it is unreal ... you are all knowing, the rest of us are full of it ... btw, 280rwhp here ... care to comment on my mods ? Check the sig and tell me how mine suck too ...
Old 04-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Tim'sZ

Originally posted by Alberto
Lol, dont go off on me because I state my opinion. When was I bragging about me having a K&N drop in? When did I claim in this thread or any thread EVER that a drop in gives you 5whp? You can lash out at me to make yourself feel better about all those Nismo parts, like your worthless Nismo CAI, that is a rebadged AEM with a safety valve that actually hurts pefromance regardless of what Nismo says, I know this because I've done dyno tests on CAI vs pop-chargers, with my money, have you?. The only good Nismo mod you have are your headers, I should have stated that I do like the Nismo headers, by far the best out of anything they make. Do you think that fact that your mods say Nismo on them makes you or your car better? They dont, get off your power trip. Since you felt the need to personally attack me, I'll come back at you... Your Nismo suspension is junk compared to my JIC coilovers, you have no adjustability-ride height or dampening, around a road course you would be my *****.... but wait you can take corners harder because your Nismo seat belt pads would hold you in your seat better I guarantee you that even with your precious Nismo cams if I raced you in the 1/4 I would OWN you. Do you take your car to the track like me? Do you trap 104 mph in the 1/4? I do and with only 4 bolt-ons, guess what none of them Nismo. Do you dyno test all your parts like me? If you answered yes to any of the above post some numbers, and stop thinking all your Nismo parts are worth a damn. You tell me to go to Wal-Mart, just because I'm smart enough to stay away from overpriced, overly hyped up parts you think I'm cheap? Your the cheap bastard with a front lip, sideskirts and no rear? WTF if your gonna do a kit do it all Get off your Nismo high, because I'll knock you off of it everytime Now, try to reply to some of my questions without making yourself looking any gayer...
Hey MonkeyNuts, I will send you an autgraphed copy of the Magazine Article they are doing on MY CHEAP *** CAR as you so called put it. And while I am at it, just because I do not post BS timeslips and Dyno Sheets like you would does not mean that I would not be glad to find your dumbass and rip you a new one, but you can see the timeslips in the magazine.
Now on the NISMO remark, how many of your super mods are covered by factory warranty? Let me help you with that since you are functioning on a limited education, 0, none of your parts are covered under factory warranty, how many of your mods are used on Nissan's Racing Team, let me help you again since you only have a GED (that is Good Enough Diploma), 0.
Now let me enlighten you on another important subject, it is called Sponsorship, My car is 100% sponsored by North Point Nissan, you know what that means Dipsh#@, I pay for nothing, notta, zero, not even labor. I am also sponsored by Rollin Car Customs in Navarre, Fl., did I mention to you about the NX 100 shot of Nitrous that is coming, they are sponsoring me on that, but don't worry, it won't be needed to hand you your *** at the Track. OH, and speaking of the Track, let me give you website to go to, http://www.arscca.org, look at the results from March's Autocross event and look at the Street Mod 2 results, YEP, that is me in 1st Place, handed that built up Eagle Talon AWD his ***, beat him by a good second and a half, so it seems that I can back up my claims without falsifying, WHAT ABOUT YOU HOTROD.
Now if you would kindly send me your address I will send you your very own autographed poster and magazine of TimsZ, but I will have to charge you for the lesson today.

C YA Suckerwww.arscca.org

Last edited by Tim'sZ; 04-14-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Tim'sZ

I apologize to the rest of you guys that had to sit through that, Us older guys just have to help these youngbucks sometimes. I meant no offense to other manufacturers or other peoples mods but since this stems from the BS article in SCC magazine on the NISMO cars I had to defend what I believe.

My Apologies......
Old 04-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, all those parts on your car and you drive around cones in an empty parking lot. Now I see why you are so for Nismo, cuz you dont pay for $hit, but hey I'm happy for you. Your intake, and cams are not covered under warranty, your the dip$hit not me, R-tune remember? You think beating a Talon makes you a race car driver? LOL, you act like you are grandios, its you that turned this into an immature thread. I dont like Nismo parts, some people do period. You had to start this flame war to make yourself feel better about your car and your mods. Have you even ran your car at a 1/4 mile track? If so I bet you havent run faster than me, or trapped higher than me. And stop with the riceboy mentality-telling people what mods you will have (your 100 shot), talk about what you do have, and thats a big mouth, a big mods list and only a few worthy parts. I guess now would be the time that I tell you I am getting a Vortech s/c I'm not coming on here telling people what I plan on doing and how its gonna make me better than them, thats lame. Ill pass on your autographed magazine article, but if you want you can send it, I'll clean my wheels with it. Enjoy your awesome Nismo seatbelt pads and floor mats, I'm sooo jealous.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Dissolved

I dont think Nismo parts are crap, but they definitely wouldnt be my first choice. I know the Nismo/AEM intake has shown power losses, their exhaust isnt "the best" from what I saw in the SportZ shootout (not even true dual). Their headers and suspension however, I would buy. That's about it. Still, all their stuff is WAY overpriced for my taste ..... $1100 for headers?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Tim'sZ

LOL, all those parts on your car and you drive around cones in an empty parking lot. Now I see why you are so for Nismo, cuz you dont pay for $hit, but hey I'm happy for you. Your intake, and cams are not covered under warranty, your the dip$hit not me, R-tune remember? You think beating a Talon makes you a race car driver? LOL, you act like you are grandios, its you that turned this into an immature thread. I dont like Nismo parts, some people do period. You had to start this flame war to make yourself feel better about your car and your mods. Have you even ran your car at a 1/4 mile track? If so I bet you havent run faster than me, or trapped higher than me. And stop with the riceboy mentality-telling people what mods you will have (your 100 shot), talk about what you do have, and thats a big mouth, a big mods list and only a few worthy parts. I guess now would be the time that I tell you I am getting a Vortech s/c I'm not coming on here telling people what I plan on doing and how its gonna make me better than them, thats lame. Ill pass on your autographed magazine article, but if you want you can send it, I'll clean my wheels with it. Enjoy your awesome Nismo seatbelt pads and floor mats, I'm sooo jealous.
POOOOOR ALBERTO.....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Tim'sZ

I should not pick on you Alberto, you have your right to your opinion so I will not respond to anymore of your replies.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Tim'sZ

Originally posted by Dissolved
I dont think Nismo parts are crap, but they definitely wouldnt be my first choice. I know the Nismo/AEM intake has shown power losses, their exhaust isnt "the best" from what I saw in the SportZ shootout (not even true dual). Their headers and suspension however, I would buy. That's about it. Still, all their stuff is WAY overpriced for my taste ..... $1100 for headers?
I agree that they are expensive and if it were not from being sponsored by a Nissan dealer then I probably would have gone with some different parts. Headers are definitely worth it and so were the cams. I will say that there are not really any cheap headers out there other than the DC headers and they seem to be a great product from the different reviews that have been posted.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:33 AM
350trackz

Alberto, where were you when I was building my car ? Dang, with the infinite knowledge you seem to have, you could have made my car fast !!!

Anyway, you seem to know the mod business better than those of us that searched out our own parts. Maybe you should write a book or an all encompassing email so the noobs out there can just buy your shopping list of parts ... still you don't mpress me as I know of a couple of cars making 262rwhp with 4 bolt ons. Again I mention, your mods (or some of them) must not be as great as you think they are. BUT, since you are so proud of those 4 bolt ons, why don't you list them out for us ?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 AM
350trackz

You think beating a Talon makes you a race car driver? LOL
Just because you beat a car doesn't make you a good driver. I agree with that. But, to humble you, why don't you come to Dallas ? I know of a Talon or 2 that could teach you a lesson in humility !!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Tim'sZ

Originally posted by 350trackz
Just because you beat a car doesn't make you a good driver. I agree with that. But, to humble you, why don't you come to Dallas ? I know of a Talon or 2 that could teach you a lesson in humility !!!
My point to Alberto was this, I have been in the SCCA for 6 years and sometimes experience on the Track will prevail over Horsepower, the guy I beat, Chuck Duncan, it a very good driver so I do pride myself on that victory. But as I said, I am not going to pick on him anymore, he has his right to his opinions.

BTW Track, I ordered the Crawford Vs 5 2 weeks ago and I am looking forward to this mod, doing the powerdered coated black.
Still can't touch your engine bay though.....
Old 04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Tim'sZ
I agree that they are expensive and if it were not from being sponsored by a Nissan dealer then I probably would have gone with some different parts. Headers are definitely worth it and so were the cams. I will say that there are not really any cheap headers out there other than the DC headers and they seem to be a great product from the different reviews that have been posted.
Well that changes some things. Didnt know you were sponsored. Very cool. Also, props to you on the SCCA racing. Always wanted to try that. If I had a spare 350z I would

Quick Reply: PROOF!!! Normally aspirated mods do almost nothing!!!!!