Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Living vicariously through my 350z brethren

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:38 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living vicariously through my 350z brethren

Well, having lived vicariously through you "modders" for the past year or so, I have come full circle without modding my car at all.

I was feening for small mods to start. JWT pop charger sounded perfect. Sound was incredible, and the butt dyno gave me a little hint of more power. After the excitement for that wore off I needed something substantial after that. I decided to go for the Borla TD exhaust. Nice exhuast note, added power. I felt badass while driving my car. It felt meaniner and more powerful. I got some nice lightweight rims and Toyo tires to add a little flare and grip to my Z. About two weeks into the Borla setup, I felt like my gains went away. I dropped some cash on the technosqaure ECU, but only after I added Xerd Headers and HF cats. The car feels like a rocket now. The dyno turned out pretty respectable too. But, I got my *** handed to me by a Mustang the other day. I added on a Tilton 8lb flywheel with street clutch so I could get some more acceleration HP. After the excitement of the lightened flywheel wore off, I finally dropped the cash for a turbo. It cost me 11K for the Greddy turbo, all the goodies, and tuning. Now my car feels like a funny car, but it's slowly becoming unreliable. I vitually have no warranty. I have all this power and no suspension mods. I'm burning through tires left and right. If I get a new hood and body kit it's going to cost another 4K. Now i'm feeling depressed.

After experiencing the above, by living vicariously through you all, needless to say I'm going to buy a GSX-R, and maybe add some exterior mods to my Z. Who knows what will really happen though
Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 PM
jng1226

Default Re: Living vicariously through my 350z brethren

Ha ha! That's a great summary of all the action I've seen in the last 2 month of being addicted to this board shortly after picking up my DB Track and researching mods too.

Look at my avatar and description, it indeed says it all for those "in the know". But seriously, a GSX-R? Everyone knows the ZX-10R is all-conquering this year

p.s. I did actually get the Topspeed Pro-1 Exhaust, and it was worth every penny - Watch the videos and be in awe of the sound!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:46 AM
phile

Ok, the ZX-10R then

I remember that vid! Sounds good, but loud as hell :P
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
slay2k

Don't sweat it phile, we don't need no stinkin warranties... somethin breaks, you replace it Hopefully it won't be anything as big as the engine though, so make sure you keep it tuned right.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of fast motorcycles, so don't limit your choices to just the Gixxer . If money weren't an object, I'd want a Yamaha R7 ($25k+ ).
Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
phile

The YZF-R1 is supposed to have 180hp, and it's only around $10.699. 180hp is insane.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by phile
The YZF-R1 is supposed to have 180hp, and it's only around $10.699. 180hp is insane.
That's too much for me. My friend's brother has a red '02 GSX-R1000 and he says if you do full throttle in the first 3 gears, the front wheel comes up. I'd rather have a little less horsepower and better handling (i.e. R7).
Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 AM
jng1226

Aha, we're talking bikes now? OK, you seriously want the best bike out right now, period? Get an Aprilia Mille Factory Erre, best bike out of the box - OZ forged wheels, Ohlins Forks/Shocks/Steering Damper, superior V-Twin power delivery for track use, $18,399, but you don't need a thing (except maybe Akrapovic Ti slip-ons for sweet music and 12 less pounds).

With the previous generation of this bike, I lap VIR North Course in about the same time as a 2500 lb/600 hp Trans-Am race car - not to mention smoking Ferrari Enzo's, Porsche GT3's AND Gixxer Thousands... ask me how I know
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM
NismoKid

Originally posted by jng1226
Aha, we're talking bikes now? OK, you seriously want the best bike out right now, period? Get an Aprilia Mille Factory Erre, best bike out of the box - OZ forged wheels, Ohlins Forks/Shocks/Steering Damper, superior V-Twin power delivery for track use, $18,399, but you don't need a thing (except maybe Akrapovic Ti slip-ons for sweet music and 12 less pounds).

With the previous generation of this bike, I lap VIR North Course in about the same time as a 2500 lb/600 hp Trans-Am race car - not to mention smoking Ferrari Enzo's, Porsche GT3's AND Gixxer Thousands... ask me how I know
How do you know?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
jng1226

Originally posted by NismoKid
How do you know?
Come up to VIR this season and I'll show you in person!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:01 PM
chaos

Default bikes

hey guys i have an '02 R6 right now and i'm thinking of moving up to a 1000; do you think the ZX-10R is going to be better than the new R1
Old 04-14-2004, 01:13 PM
jng1226

Default Re: bikes

Originally posted by chaos
hey guys i have an '02 R6 right now and i'm thinking of moving up to a 1000; do you think the ZX-10R is going to be better than the new R1
The 2004 generation of Literbikes is so good, it really is splitting hairs between them. I'm partial to the Kawi because it comes with pretty trick parts off the showroom floor, specifically the slipper clutch, carbon-coated forks and super-effective ram-air. Did you get the last issue of Roadracing World Magazine? They are real racers who pretty much tell it like it is and there was no question that the ZX-10R is the best track bike of the 3 tested (Gixxer Thou, CBR1000RR, ZX-10R) at the time. Too bad they couldn't pit it against the new R1 at the same time.

Anyway, it all depends on what you want to use the bike for. If you ride more on the street, then honestly pick the one that appeals most to you on your important considerations. If it's for the track mostly, I would say the ZX-10R is the most ready to go out of the box. Again, the performance is so high at this level, that unless you race or do A LOT of trackdays, I don't think there will be much difference between any of them.

Good luck and ride safe!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:24 PM
slay2k

Hijacked thread alert!!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:41 PM
ZZZealous007

bikes are nice. Ive always wanted to get one. I was actually going to buy one last summer until one of my friends got into an accident. This confirmed my trepidations and I got the Z instead. Im happy with my Z maybe ill get a bike later down the road. Most probably when i move to a place that has lower insurance rates. Insurance in Queens for even a 600cc bike is killer.
anyway just keep it safe, even though you may not be poppin wheelies or what not you have to watch out for the horrible drivers esp in NYC!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
jng1226

Yeah, sorry for jackin' your thread Phile! My first love is bikes and I'll mud butt out the mouth about them anytime they're mentioned.

ZZZealous007 - it's tough to drive a car in NYC, much less a bike! I certainly wouldn't!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
phile

No problem, I like opinions

mud butt...I heard that on Chapelle show tonight :P
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
jng1226

No problem, I like opinions

mud butt...I heard that on Chapelle show tonight :P
So did I, hence why I started using it already! That is the THE FUNNIEST SHOW ON TV - PERIOD.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:54 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R1 all the way
Old 04-17-2004, 01:54 PM
bigern1970

Default Re: Living vicariously through my 350z brethren

Well, having lived vicariously through you "modders" for the past year or so, I have come full circle without modding my car at all.

I was feening for small mods to start. JWT pop charger sounded perfect. Sound was incredible, and the butt dyno gave me a little hint of more power. After the excitement for that wore off I needed something substantial after that. I decided to go for the Borla TD exhaust. Nice exhuast note, added power. I felt badass while driving my car. It felt meaniner and more powerful. I got some nice lightweight rims and Toyo tires to add a little flare and grip to my Z. About two weeks into the Borla setup, I felt like my gains went away. I dropped some cash on the technosqaure ECU, but only after I added Xerd Headers and HF cats. The car feels like a rocket now. The dyno turned out pretty respectable too. But, I got my *** handed to me by a Mustang the other day. I added on a Tilton 8lb flywheel with street clutch so I could get some more acceleration HP. After the excitement of the lightened flywheel wore off, I finally dropped the cash for a turbo. It cost me 11K for the Greddy turbo, all the goodies, and tuning. Now my car feels like a funny car, but it's slowly becoming unreliable. I vitually have no warranty. I have all this power and no suspension mods. I'm burning through tires left and right. If I get a new hood and body kit it's going to cost another 4K. Now i'm feeling depressed.

After experiencing the above, by living vicariously through you all, needless to say I'm going to buy a GSX-R, and maybe add some exterior mods to my Z. Who knows what will really happen though
glad your getting the gixxer..........but afte that 600,,,,,,,you will want a hayabusa...........lol
Old 04-17-2004, 01:56 PM
bigern1970

Default Re: Re: Living vicariously through my 350z brethren

Originally posted by jng1226
Ha ha! That's a great summary of all the action I've seen in the last 2 month of being addicted to this board shortly after picking up my DB Track and researching mods too.

Look at my avatar and description, it indeed says it all for those "in the know". But seriously, a GSX-R? Everyone knows the ZX-10R is all-conquering this year

p.s. I did actually get the Topspeed Pro-1 Exhaust, and it was worth every penny - Watch the videos and be in awe of the sound!
You think that Kawi is faster then the new R1 and the new cbr 1000?

Quick Reply: Living vicariously through my 350z brethren