Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

dealer giving me grief about mods and my third gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:31 AM
JonathanG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer giving me grief about mods and my third gear grind

I have about 23k on my car and my tranny has started to grind in third. My mods are in my sig. My dealer is giving me some grief about the transmission warranty and the mods on my car. I have not opened the tranny.

what should i do?

thanks,

jon

i am in va if you know a mod friendly dealer.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 AM
NismoGCoupe

thats bull$hit, they should fix it with out a question, they know the third gear on our cars are having this problem this is NOT an isolated sitiuation where it only happen to a couple cars this is happen to many many many Z's & G's, just tell them to prove the mods on the car are what caused the problem or threaten to bring them to court
Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 AM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
thats bull$hit, they should fix it with out a question, they know the third gear on our cars are having this problem this is NOT an isolated sitiuation where it only happen to a couple cars this is happen to many many many Z's & G's, just tell them to prove the mods on the car are what caused the problem or threaten to bring them to court
they claim they have not seen any trannys back yet.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:14 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally posted by JonathanG35
just threaten to take them to court, but honestly if the dealership are being a$$holes from the start about this whole thing i wouldnt want them touching my car, just go to another dealership they have to fix it
Old 04-26-2004, 07:21 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless they can prove that the mods caused the synchro failure, they cannot deny warranty service. Go into the Repairing forum and print out a few threads of all the 3rd gear failures. Hell, even the Road & Track long-term test 350Z had to have the tranny replaced (and was noted in last months article). If all else fails, contact Nissan Consumer Affairs (or go to a different dealer).

Last edited by John; 04-26-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Beaker02

I don't get it. None of the mods have anything to do with the tranny. I sure hope my dealership does the new tire TSB on mine.......I have a new stereo in it.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:45 AM
noahbuddy

I've heard that one before... the first dealer I went to Pallone Nissan in Springfield Va says, "We haven't heard anything about new trannys. We're gonna have to research and call Nissan and find out what's going on, but I doubt they are replacing transmissions". I told them never mind. Sterling Nissan in Sterling VA was a hell of alot better. I called them the next day and got a totally different response. "Yes, we've repaired a few. Bring it in, we'll take care of you." The did the road test and order the parts and fixed it no questions asked and no BS. I'd say find another Dealer. Seems many of them don't like warrenty work.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 AM
PoWeRtRiP

man that sux my dealer didnt even ask any questions while replacing mine with my mods in sig. i just dropped it off and said it made a funny noise in neutral and 5 hrs later they call me and ask me what i would like as a rental car bc im getting a new tranny. there is a tsb out for the tranny right? check it out and print it then bring it to them and show them that its a known problem
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 AM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
man that sux my dealer didnt even ask any questions while replacing mine with my mods in sig. i just dropped it off and said it made a funny noise in neutral and 5 hrs later they call me and ask me what i would like as a rental car bc im getting a new tranny. there is a tsb out for the tranny right? check it out and print it then bring it to them and show them that its a known problem
i dont think there is a tsb but if there is and someone knows where to find it, i would appreciate.

i know dealers dont like warranty labor so i told then i would pay them to have my jwt clutch and fly put in while the tranny was out so they could get some good labor with the crap warranty labor.

i have g35, btw. if anyone has had their tranny replaced in north carolina or va and can recommend an infiniti dealer, that would be cool.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:37 AM
PoWeRtRiP

oh its a g. man good luck with that they are very stiff on mods! too bad you dont have a z they expect us to mod!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM
protocav

Is your coupe an 03' or an 04'? Also, do you know if the tranny problem is typical of all years, or was this an "early production" flaw?

Best of luck with your repairs.

Chad
Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 AM
MIAPLAYA

The key to this whole issue is the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975. The Acts states that unless the failure can be directly attributed to an aftermarket part or process performed by you they cannot deny a warranty claim. Heres an exert from an online source
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Some more FAQs about this can be found here.. http://www.ptuning.com/html/faq.htm
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by protocav
Is your coupe an 03' or an 04'? Also, do you know if the tranny problem is typical of all years, or was this an "early production" flaw?

Best of luck with your repairs.

Chad
03 - i ordered in sept 02 and took delivery jan 03. I should have one of the real early models.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

03 - i ordered in sept 02 and took delivery jan 03. I should have one of the real early models.
Dude do not let the dealer railroad you on this. When I had my Spec V the delaer attempted to deny a warranty claim for my transmission grinding in 3rd because i had intake/header/exhaust/etc. I spoke with the service manager and brought up the Magnusson Moss Act. He claimed to have not heard of it. The next day I brought him a copy of it and the next story they gave me was that they couldn't reproduce it. So I made a VCD with a video of me shifting normally and the grinding sound wa quite evident. The dealer again claimed they could not reproduce it. Next step I asked the Service Manager to take a ride with me with a tech in the back seat. My lucky day it ground hard on EVERY 3rd gear shift even at low engine speeds. The next day my car was getting a new tranny. Persistence and knowledge is the key. I have not had my Z grind but if it did and the dealer tried to clown me like they are you I'd bring a copy of the Act with me and highlight the pertinant parts. If they continue to resist go to the Gen. Mgr. If he blows you off contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and the BBB.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:24 PM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Dude do not let the dealer railroad .........to resist go to the Gen. Mgr. If he blows you off contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and the BBB.
thanks for the advice. I dont think it is going to be a problem. I emailed them a bunch of threads form this site mentioning the specific problem and that NNA is aware of it. the 20 or 30 extra ponies from my bolt ons are not going to make synchros go bad.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
huducks

go to passport infiniti in alexandria by landmark mall. ask for chris ressler (learn2turn) very mod friendly dealer. friend had tranny swapped on his g already, hes looking for his third tranny b/c now hes getting the 2nd gear grind. only problem now is that ur in infiniti's "system" as having a modified vehicle, so it will be hard to go to ne dealership. but its always worth a try, besides paying for a new tranny when it should be covered under warranty is bs in my opinion. nissan knows the early g/z's have the worst transmission mated to the vq engine.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:55 PM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by huducks
go to passport infiniti in alexandria by landmark mall. ask for chris ressler (learn2turn) very mod friendly dealer. friend had tranny swapped on his g already, hes looking for his third tranny b/c now hes getting the 2nd gear grind. only problem now is that ur in infiniti's "system" as having a modified vehicle, so it will be hard to go to ne dealership. but its always worth a try, besides paying for a new tranny when it should be covered under warranty is bs in my opinion. nissan knows the early g/z's have the worst transmission mated to the vq engine.
thanks, i pm'd learn2turn. hopefully i will get a good response.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:20 PM
zectasy

wow how odd someone posted about this subject. just today did i take my 350 in to the dealer for grinding in 3rd. i have the jwt pop charger on my car and they didnt even hassle me about having it. no problems at all they called and said they are gonna put in a new tranny within the week. also i talked to a tech and i asked him about if any aftermarket exhausts would really void the warranty of the car and he basically said no...unless it was like a emission or sumthin? no biggy. but yah they def shouldnt hassle you at all! also....i feel stupid as hell and kinda outta no where but wtf is a plenum? everyone keeps talkin about how they are good for hp gain?? thanks! just PM if possible
Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 AM
was wesman

I'm going in for my third replacement next week..that should be proof enough

--wes
Old 04-28-2004, 10:59 AM
3rdpower

This is a very simple fix. Call Nissan Consumer Affairs and this will be promptly resolved - I guarantee you.

Quick Reply: dealer giving me grief about mods and my third gear grind