Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Will Viper tranny fit????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004 | 03:57 PM
LBSOHK

Originally posted by redline350ZZ
NismoKid, DriftinZ.....Thanx.......by the way when u grind even though the clutch is all the way in is that the synchro's???? 2nd and 6 does this every once and a while??? But not enough to duplicate at the dealer....
doesnt hurt to take it to the dealership , have them check it out , its not normal to get the grinds w/ clutch in...
good luck
Old 07-14-2004 | 04:28 PM
DriftinZ

OMG Redline, Mines doing the same **** in 2nd, under hard shifts it'll grind alittle, and sometimes it just wont even go in. Like hitting a brick wall, it f'ing sucks. When i brought it to my Nissan Dealer they "could duplicate it" and when I did they said i was driving the car to hard. WTF is that, driving the car to hard? Its a f'ing Track car, what am i gonna drive it like a girl?!?!?!?! SO pissed, so i left all pissed, washed my car the next day. They backed into something at there dealership, all scuffs on the rear bumper. OMG. TO ANYONE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEVER GO TO TEAM NISSAN IN MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE. Horrible service, and obviously dont care about the cars they work on. So I dont know what to do about the tranny. My clutch is going so i'm hoping its the pressure plate thats weak and not allowing the scyncros to work properly. So bummed, cause theres something deffinitly wrong.
Old 07-14-2004 | 04:29 PM
DriftinZ

"COULDNT DUPLICATE IT"
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:31 PM
AREITU

The Viper transmission is one of the beefiest ever made, as is the one in the MKIV Supra. If I'm correct, Borg Warner makes the Viper transmission while Getrag makes the Nissan unit. I haven't seen a Supra with beefed up gearsets like Skylines tend to have, but that's probably because they don't experience AWD friction.
Old 07-15-2004 | 05:06 AM
NismoKid

There's been a Supra on Ebay with a Turbo 400 transimission or something along those lines. Has 4 shifters, no clutch, just like a drag car (each gear with a separate shifter). He said he needed to beef up the transmission to handle his 700-800hp with drag radials.

AREITU, who makes stronger gears for the Skyline? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2004 | 05:08 AM
PoWeRtRiP

umm guys im almost 100% positive that the z tranny is a nissan product. anyways getrags suck! you know they made the infamous 3000gt awd tranny right? regardless of that i have yet to hear of anyone destroy a tranny from sheer hp numbers yet so why bother replacing it if it can handle up to 600 whp (kudos car)
Old 07-15-2004 | 05:29 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
umm guys im almost 100% positive that the z tranny is a nissan product. anyways getrags suck! you know they made the infamous 3000gt awd tranny right? regardless of that i have yet to hear of anyone destroy a tranny from sheer hp numbers yet so why bother replacing it if it can handle up to 600 whp (kudos car)
Most companies don't make their own transmissions (i.e. Ferrari uses Magneti Marinelli). Outsourcing saves a lot of R&D, manufacturing costs, etc so a lot of money is saved. I guess you could say that Getrag sucks becuase of 350Z grinding and 3000GT problems, so just drop in a Holinger 6-speed sequential, that'll cost just $17,000
Old 07-15-2004 | 05:40 AM
PoWeRtRiP

im just sharing what i was told by the parts guys at nissan. i asked them who the manufacturer of the tranny was back when i first got it and they said it was a nissan manufactured part #xxxxxx
Old 07-15-2004 | 08:25 AM
AREITU

Originally posted by NismoKid
There's been a Supra on Ebay with a Turbo 400 transimission or something along those lines. Has 4 shifters, no clutch, just like a drag car (each gear with a separate shifter). He said he needed to beef up the transmission to handle his 700-800hp with drag radials.

AREITU, who makes stronger gears for the Skyline? Thanks in advance.
The Supra probably had a traditional all-planetary drag transmission. A lot of supra guys just run transmissions like Powerglides or GM units.

A lot of companies make stronger Skyline gears. You can also buy fulls sequential transmissions. OS Giken is very popular when it comes to new gearsets. I'm sure a lot of other companies make them too but I can't remember at the moment. Hollinger, Grex, HKS, etc. all make sequential transmissions as well.